997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Brake Pad - Help!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-07-2013, 09:01 AM
Hondoo is on a distinguished road
Brake Pad - Help!

The car has 15k miles and the dealer already replaced the front pads and rotors under warranty at 11.5k miles. Looks like this is going to be a problem area and since the dealer gave me a price this week of $1500 I figured I should know how to do this myself. I decided to take the pads off before ordering so I could order anything I broke. Problem is I can’t figure out what I broke?

Everything went smooth until I tried to get the pads themselves out. I now have the right side pads off but am looking at 2 pistons on one pad a 1 piston on the other, the last piston is still seated in the caliper.

I’m not sure what I need to do next or what to order? Click Here for picture.

Old 05-07-2013, 10:41 AM
Former Vendor
ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !
It looks like one of your damping plates broke off, you need to fish the remainder of it out of the piston in the caliper. The replacement part will be 99635108901. If you have any more questions feel free to PM.

Old 05-07-2013, 12:59 PM
BLKonBLK911C4S is on a distinguished road
I just finished my pads. I had a similar problem. First you should have put a putty knife in between the Damping plate and the back of the pads. The damping pads kinda glue onto the pads. Then the pads will come right out. I tried to fish out the back of the damping pad out of the piston with no luck. Instead I put the old one back in and put a thin layer of brake anti-squeel paste. Seems to have done the trick and no brake noise. My other one came out clean. Make sure to take the baking cover off the new damping plate to expose the glue/brake paste before you install them.

Old 05-07-2013, 03:01 PM
spiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud of
no big deal, the nub on the squeal dampener came off. if you cant get it out of the piston, i would not worry about it. you can either use the old one or none at all. with a new pad in there, that nub aint going anywhere. i dont run them and have no problems with squeal. YMMV.

Old 05-08-2013, 03:57 PM
Thanks,

I thought I f'ed something up bad. I just ordered the parts from Suncoast.

The dealer said I was going through rotors because they think I wash the car before winter storage and that's the cause of the warp. Is that even possible? If so, what is the storage procedure, it not in my manual.

Old 05-08-2013, 05:58 PM
Hatzenbach has a spectacular aura aboutHatzenbach has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Hondoo
Thanks,

The dealer said I was going through rotors because they think I wash the car before winter storage and that's the cause of the warp. Is that even possible? If so, what is the storage procedure, it not in my manual.
Yeah, we all know that thick steel when left alone wet in the winter warps ;-)
I think your dealer is feeding you a load of bs here.

Old 05-08-2013, 06:02 PM
BLKonBLK911C4S is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Hondoo
Thanks,

That is ridiculous. Water does not warp metal. The only thing that would warp them would be heat. Could the rotors have been put on the wrong sides? The rotors have a left and right specific fitment. The heat will not disperse/vent properly if put on the wrong sides. That I would think could cause warp. But water, that would cause rust or that little pop you hear and feel after you let you car air right after a wash. Those are your pads unsticking from rusting onto your rotors.

Old 05-08-2013, 06:14 PM
Malexgcab will become famous soon enoughMalexgcab will become famous soon enough
Does the rotor need to be changed if there is a small lip?

My apology if I am thread jacking...

Old 05-08-2013, 06:49 PM
Hatzenbach has a spectacular aura aboutHatzenbach has a spectacular aura about
You need to measure the thickness of the rotor with a micrometer
That's the only way to tell for sure.

Old 05-08-2013, 06:53 PM
Originally Posted by BLKonBLK911C4S
That is ridiculous. Water does not warp metal. The only thing that would warp them would be heat. Could the rotors have been put on the wrong sides? The rotors have a left and right specific fitment. The heat will not disperse/vent properly if put on the wrong sides. That I would think could cause warp. But water, that would cause rust or that little pop you hear and feel after you let you car air right after a wash. Those are your pads unsticking from rusting onto your rotors.

That is what I was thinking too but they are labeled correctly. I did notice that the dealer did not change the pads when it was under warranty, but now I have to foot the bill the pads and rotors are "the right way to fix the problem." wtf?

Old 05-08-2013, 07:52 PM
Malexgcab will become famous soon enoughMalexgcab will become famous soon enough
Do the rotors need to be cut/resurfaced even if its within specs?

Old 05-09-2013, 09:26 AM
cam99 will become famous soon enoughcam99 will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by eddie238
Does the rotor need to be changed if there is a small lip?
As long as the rotor thickness is still within spec, you don't have to change the rotor howevever you may want have them resurfaced (turned). IMO I would just change the pads and deglaze the rotor surface.