997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Muffler Bypass in Los Angeles

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-25-2014, 12:15 PM
Preston is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by jsiverio
After too much youtube'ing, I decided to take the plunge and give the Fabspeed side muffler bypass a shot. We'll see, it's all about experimenting!

Although, I ordered them last Thursday and Fabspeed called on Friday to say that they were out of stock and they had to be fabricated, which would take about 3-4 weeks. guess I have to cool my anticipation just a bit.

-- I'm combining them with the Sharwerks x-pipe (muffler delete) which is already installed.
Let us know when you get them on! I recently got Afterhours Gen. 2 mufflers. They sound great but could definitely go a little louder.

Old 08-25-2014, 01:39 PM
jsiverio is on a distinguished road
Sure will, Preston. Grats on the new muffs!

I also bought a DB meter on Amazon so I'll fill everyone in on noise level as well.

Old 09-04-2014, 08:10 PM
Anyone at all in Los Angeles with muffler bypass pipes on a 997.1 who'd be willing let me hear them? I want to officially decide if I'm keeping my afterhours mufflers or going bypass. Thanks!

Old 09-04-2014, 09:02 PM
MYF1 is just really niceMYF1 is just really niceMYF1 is just really niceMYF1 is just really niceMYF1 is just really nice
I had the Afterhours mufflers on my 996 and loved the sound. The only thing was that there was way too much drone inside the cabin.
I was contemplating the Afterhours on my 997 but was not sure if there were any improvements made to elimination that drone.
I would be interested to hear about the noise and drone of the 997 gen 2 Afterhours mufflers on your car.

Old 09-10-2014, 01:28 PM
Originally Posted by MYF1
I had the Afterhours mufflers on my 996 and loved the sound. The only thing was that there was way too much drone inside the cabin.
I was contemplating the Afterhours on my 997 but was not sure if there were any improvements made to elimination that drone.
I would be interested to hear about the noise and drone of the 997 gen 2 Afterhours mufflers on your car.
The generation 2 definitely has some drone between 2-3k rpm but its not bad and very bearable. While the exhaust is still quite loud, I would be willing to sacrifice more drone for a louder exhaust note. Which is why I'm debating going full bypass. I think the gen 1 Afterhours would be perfect but I can't seem to get my hands on a used set.

Old 09-23-2014, 12:39 PM
Originally Posted by jsiverio
Sure will, Preston. Grats on the new muffs!

I also bought a DB meter on Amazon so I'll fill everyone in on noise level as well.
Hey! Any update on those muffler bypass pipes??

Old 09-23-2014, 02:57 PM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Preston
The generation 2 definitely has some drone between 2-3k rpm but its not bad and very bearable. While the exhaust is still quite loud, I would be willing to sacrifice more drone for a louder exhaust note. Which is why I'm debating going full bypass. I think the gen 1 Afterhours would be perfect but I can't seem to get my hands on a used set.
How often do you have to smog test? Will full bypass pass smog?

Old 09-23-2014, 03:03 PM
Originally Posted by jhbrennan
How often do you have to smog test? Will full bypass pass smog?
Mufflers have no effect on smog. Muffler bypass will pass. If by "full bypass" you mean cats too, then no. Cats are what will cause you smog issues.