997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Alpine INE-W927HD installed

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-02-2014, 01:15 PM
sangelo911 is on a distinguished road
AmmoGuy. I just received the same unit from Saturn. Still in the box and a bit intimidating regarding the install. The only video I can find is how to take out the original unit. From there is the install going to be intuitive? I don't want to get into this and then have to put everything back together. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Old 03-02-2014, 04:08 PM
usaf.ammoguy is on a distinguished road
There are other videos out there that will help, but you are basically on your own. And yeah, it can be a bit intimidating, but once you get started and you alot yourself the whole day without interruption, it goes pretty smoothly. Some lessons learned:

- Here's a video on running the antenna (NAV/sat radio) wires through the firewall:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-XQ1...ature=youtu.be

- You will get easier access to the rubber grommet mentioned if you remove the horn assembly. Also, you don't need to silicone the antennas to the shelf as mentioned in the video, there is a metal plate below the shelf that the antennas will attach to nicely with their magnets.

- You will not have fader control with the unit. This is a firmware issue with the analog/digital interface Saturn sent you in order to hook up to the fiber optics in the Porsche. So, when you discover that you only have left to right balance control don't freak out. Besides, in a cabin as small as the 911's, this is a non-issue anyway.

- I would mount the telephone mic behind the rear view mirror and run the wire along the lip of the molding at the top of the windshield and down the A pillar. There's plenty wire and plenty of room to hide it.

- If you got the sat radio interface for the Alpine unit, prepare to be disappointed. It has zero buffer, which means that any time the signal from the bird is interrupted by a tree or overpass, you will get a gap in the playback. This can be very frustrating on a country drive or in a city with tall buildings. I rarely use the sat radio except in wide open spaces.

- When you get everything hooked up and you are ready to slide the unit into the dash, it helps to tape some of the excess wiring on top of the unit so it doesn't bunch up behind and prevent a good fit. There's a lot to go into the center console, so take your time and don't get frustrated - it does eventually fit if you get everything JUST RIGHT.

- Don't be shy about calling Saturn with any issues during the install, as I said, he was very accessible and patient during the whole process.

I really like, no wait, I really LOVE the Alpine unit, it really brings out the best of those Bose speakers. And the NAV/telephone/iPod functions work great once you get used to the interface, which has a bit of a learning curve.

Good luck with the install, let me how it turns out for you. And if you have any more questions of me, just post here.

Cheers,

usaf.ammoguy

Old 03-20-2014, 11:06 PM
srbrigante is on a distinguished road
Guys pardon my ignorance on this subject, bit in order to install a new system will I need this "most" system to link the double sin to the Bose system??

Originally Posted by usaf.ammoguy
If you mean the analog to fiber-optic interface, yes. And let me tell you, that Alpine with the Bose back end rocks!

The kit from A&E came with everything I needed. I also got the TR-7 Trigger Output Module that overrides the parking brake and transmission signals to allow you to watch DVDs while you are moving (something I have no interest in), and the backup camera (which I didn't install because who needs one on a car that's barely 15ft long anyway?). A&E thought of everything, pre-wired the interfaces, and put it all in the package.

But the thing that made the install go so well was the willingness of Shane at A&E to answer any an all questions along the way. He gave me his personal contact information and I must've called, texted, and emailed him more than 20 times during the prep and install process - even on a Sunday. He was always patient and walked me through any situation that came up; no question was too stupid and no detail was too small, he was always there for me. Like I said in a post above, I'll be using them again for future add-ons and upgrades.

Old 03-21-2014, 08:47 AM
Banned
semicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by srbrigante
Guys pardon my ignorance on this subject, bit in order to install a new system will I need this "most" system to link the double sin to the Bose system??
997 Bose vehicles use a fiber optic cable between the head unit and the Bose amplifier. If you want to only replace the radio (head unit), you need the Most HUR kit to seamlessly connect to the Bose amp.

If you are replacing the Bose amplifier or your do not have a Bose factory system you do not need the Most HUR add on.

Start here for Del Ray Customs: https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ion-997-a.html

More info on NavTV's Most/Hur system:
http://www.navtv.com/product/217/mos...eShowProduct=1

Old 03-21-2014, 05:52 PM
RaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of lightRaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of lightRaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of lightRaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of lightRaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of lightRaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of light
I can't wait to change my PCM out!! I have the Pioneer unit in my F250...but looking at the Alpine..I think it looks much better!! I have a great local shop that can do this work, they did my boat and MAJOR improvement in there.

The only draw back is that you loose the options like the A/C / heater memory, but I THINK you can make that happen with the Durametric Pro Cable.

My iPod connection to the PCM drives me nuts!! Sucks so bad!

Old 03-21-2014, 06:05 PM
srbrigante is on a distinguished road
My sincerest thanks! I'm moments away from having my pioneer double din installed and glad to have this info

Originally Posted by semicycler
997 Bose vehicles use a fiber optic cable between the head unit and the Bose amplifier. If you want to only replace the radio (head unit), you need the Most HUR kit to seamlessly connect to the Bose amp.

If you are replacing the Bose amplifier or your do not have a Bose factory system you do not need the Most HUR add on.

Start here for Del Ray Customs: https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ion-997-a.html

More info on NavTV's Most/Hur system:
http://www.navtv.com/product/217/mos...eShowProduct=1

Old 03-26-2014, 06:55 AM
Ehdenn will become famous soon enough
Hi guys . Just finished what took me 5 hours to install a Alpine INEW927 HD. The install was long but was easy. Actually the pain part was to try and organize all the cables in the back of the receiver for it to be able to slide until the end.
However I have two issues that you guys might help with .
1: I can't seem to access the setup menu on the alpine? It is faded and not available
2: is there anyway to have the receiver not go off until you unplug the key from the car?
Many thanks in advance for your help

Old 04-17-2014, 09:08 AM
lazyseoul is on a distinguished road
Hey all,

Did you guys have to wait long to receive a receipt and tracking number from Del Rey? It's been about 5 days since I sent my payment but I never received any tracking info or a receipt. I've emailed Shane a few times and he's been responsive in saying that he will send it but hasn't yet. Just wondering if it took awhile for you to receive your order from Del Rey or not to abate my worries.

Thanks in advance.

Old 04-17-2014, 04:12 PM
porschelady is just really niceporschelady is just really niceporschelady is just really niceporschelady is just really niceporschelady is just really nice
I had the alpine ine w940(smaller screen i think) installed and love it. didn't install it myself. I don't have patience for that type of work. Left original bose speakers. sounds much better than the harman/becker receiver that it came with. Navigation is a learning curve for me. I haven't found a nav unit anywhere that is as easy as my cheap dash mount Garmin Nuvi. Blue tooth and Ipod is a snap in the alpine.
Sound shop had hell because they can't overide the Nav being used while moving(shop policy). While working on it they screwed something up on accelerator pedal. Wife said it felt different when we left shop to drive 60 miles home. about 10 miles from house she started speeding up drastically and then braking hard. I asked her why she was doing that and she said she wasn't. Accelerator was trying to redline on it's own. She was in 4th and we were running up to close to 100. she slapped it into neutral and killed engine immediately. We waited 2 hours for a tow truck to haul us in. We stopped 200 yards short(thankfully) of a 3/4mile long 2 lane bridge. Porsche repaired accelerator under warranty, thankfully, though it took a week to get the parts. Fortunately no damage to engine. All's well that ends well as we love the radio. So much better than the OEM.

Last edited by porschelady; 04-18-2014 at 07:36 PM.
Old 04-17-2014, 07:45 PM
ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by lazyseoul
Hey all,

Did you guys have to wait long to receive a receipt and tracking number from Del Rey? It's been about 5 days since I sent my payment but I never received any tracking info or a receipt. I've emailed Shane a few times and he's been responsive in saying that he will send it but hasn't yet. Just wondering if it took awhile for you to receive your order from Del Rey or not to abate my worries.

Thanks in advance.
Call them. I'm sure it's on their way.

Old 04-18-2014, 08:29 AM
farfel has a reputation beyond reputefarfel has a reputation beyond reputefarfel has a reputation beyond reputefarfel has a reputation beyond reputefarfel has a reputation beyond reputefarfel has a reputation beyond reputefarfel has a reputation beyond reputefarfel has a reputation beyond reputefarfel has a reputation beyond reputefarfel has a reputation beyond reputefarfel has a reputation beyond repute
Del ray

I PMd them 4 days ago about a system for my Porsche.
No reply is a really bad start for on-line shopping.

Old 04-21-2014, 06:43 PM
997Mike is on a distinguished road
Picked up this kit from Del Ray and installed it myself. Came with head unit, MOST HUR thing, XM radio module, backup camera, video in motion box, faceplate surround... But the most important thing they offer was the wiring harness. This made it all plug and play and quite easy.

The only part that was "hard" was running the backup camera - had to remove subwoofer, rear side panels, and run the wire back through the tail light grommet.