997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Suggestions for 19" Snow Tires?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-03-2013, 06:12 PM
North Shore 911 will become famous soon enoughNorth Shore 911 will become famous soon enough
Suggestions for 19" Snow Tires?

I've just picked up a set of 19" 997 Turbo rims for my new set of snow tires, so I'm now looking for good tire suggestions to slap on my 2010 C4S Cab (my DD in Chicago). I had a set of 18" Bridgestone Blizzaks on my '04 645, but I'm told that they don't come in a 19" size. I've been suggested to look at the Pirelli Sottozeros and the Dunlop winter tires.

Any other suggestions for a good set of tires to climb around the Chicago winter?

Old 12-03-2013, 06:56 PM
eldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to behold
Nokian Winter tires. I have 19's. Porsche Approved,...N0. I got mine close to you at Waukegan Tire.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3181763143.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	365.7 KB
ID:	307702

Last edited by eldertec; 12-03-2013 at 07:07 PM.
Old 12-03-2013, 08:02 PM
toptier will become famous soon enoughtoptier will become famous soon enough
I've always had Blizzaks on my other vehicles and since they don't make them for the 19's I decided on the Pirelli's and they seem to handle well during the one snow storm I've driven on them. We're supposed to get quite a bit of snow over night into tomorrow so I can get more experience with them. I'll let you know what I think on how they compare to blizzaks

Old 12-03-2013, 08:22 PM
eldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to behold
What attracted me to Nokian tires...
Made in Finland and some in Russia.
Great Snow countries.
And they are Porsche Approved!
I put about 6k miles on them last winter, drove once from Baltimore to Lexington, KY.
Rain, Sleet and Snow the entire way.
Felt very very secure on the roads with them.
Surprised by the grip in snow covered parking lots,...doin doughnuts!!

Old 12-04-2013, 05:11 AM
tommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud of
Love my Dunlops!

Tom

Old 12-04-2013, 06:43 AM
shoss is on a distinguished road
I used the Pirelli Sottozero's with my 19" rims on my C2 as a daily driver in Chicago and never had any issues. I ran them in 235 upfront and 295 on the rear.

Old 12-04-2013, 07:17 AM
Malexgcab will become famous soon enoughMalexgcab will become famous soon enough
I have Nokian tires. it's my first season with these tires and it felt the tires were slipping in rain.

Old 12-04-2013, 09:34 AM
toptier will become famous soon enoughtoptier will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by toptier
I've always had Blizzaks on my other vehicles and since they don't make them for the 19's I decided on the Pirelli's and they seem to handle well during the one snow storm I've driven on them. We're supposed to get quite a bit of snow over night into tomorrow so I can get more experience with them. I'll let you know what I think on how they compare to blizzaks
So we a got a really good amount of snow and driving into work on snow pack, I would like to report that the tires felt good. Don't think that they have the same amount of grip as Blizzaks but they do give confidence and grip well.

Old 12-04-2013, 11:55 AM
Bruce in Philly is a glorious beacon of lightBruce in Philly is a glorious beacon of lightBruce in Philly is a glorious beacon of lightBruce in Philly is a glorious beacon of lightBruce in Philly is a glorious beacon of lightBruce in Philly is a glorious beacon of light
Interesting you have any choice at all with those rims. I have a 2009 C2S and OEM 19" and 18" rims... the 18" are for winter tires.

Last month, there were only two tires available that meet the spec in my owner's manual. Michelin and Pirelli. Those two were for 18" and for 19" it was Pirelli and something else..... I think.... but..... anyway, there were only two choices for each size at Tire Rack (my memory on the brands is weak but definitely only 2 each size). By the way, by "spec", I mean size... I don't care at all about "N" rated.

Good luck with your search. I was frustrated and angry with the poor choices... I went with Michelin Alpins on 18" OEM rims for my 2009 C2S. Expensive......

Peace
Bruce in Philly

Last edited by Bruce in Philly; 12-04-2013 at 11:59 AM.
Old 12-04-2013, 01:18 PM
North Shore 911 will become famous soon enoughNorth Shore 911 will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Bruce in Philly
Interesting you have any choice at all with those rims. I have a 2009 C2S and OEM 19" and 18" rims... the 18" are for winter tires.

Last month, there were only two tires available that meet the spec in my owner's manual. Michelin and Pirelli. Those two were for 18" and for 19" it was Pirelli and something else..... I think.... but..... anyway, there were only two choices for each size at Tire Rack (my memory on the brands is weak but definitely only 2 each size). By the way, by "spec", I mean size... I don't care at all about "N" rated.

Good luck with your search. I was frustrated and angry with the poor choices... I went with Michelin Alpins on 18" OEM rims for my 2009 C2S. Expensive......

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Yeah, I am also really surprised/annoyed at the lack of choice for the 19's. Tire Rack only has the Pirellis and the Dunlop in this size, and I am struggling to find anything other than the Nokians that eldertec has. I'm most annoyed at Bridgsteone for not having the Blizzaks in a 19" size

Old 12-04-2013, 01:24 PM
Originally Posted by shoss
I used the Pirelli Sottozero's with my 19" rims on my C2 as a daily driver in Chicago and never had any issues. I ran them in 235 upfront and 295 on the rear.
That's the same size I'm looking for. My daily commute is 20+ miles each way on the Edens between Glencoe and the Loop, so I'm wondering about the road noise on these Pirellis. Did you find them substantially noisier than your summer set or about the same? That said, these are winter tires, after all, so I guess I don't have to worry about a lot of top-down road noise...

Old 12-04-2013, 02:29 PM
slammp is on a distinguished road
I've been running Pirelli snows in 19 on my C4 all of last year and for about 3 weeks this year in Boston. Noise is not an issue and I've never had grip problems. Granted I don't go trail blazing but I do daily drive all winter mostly highway and city.

Old 12-04-2013, 03:29 PM
shoss is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by North Shore 911
That's the same size I'm looking for. My daily commute is 20+ miles each way on the Edens between Glencoe and the Loop, so I'm wondering about the road noise on these Pirellis. Did you find them substantially noisier than your summer set or about the same? That said, these are winter tires, after all, so I guess I don't have to worry about a lot of top-down road noise...
I never had any more noise with the winter tires than with my summer setup, I overall can highly recommend them as they are fairly "long" lasting and handled well in snowy and dry conditions.

Old 12-05-2013, 07:17 AM
Bruce in Philly is a glorious beacon of lightBruce in Philly is a glorious beacon of lightBruce in Philly is a glorious beacon of lightBruce in Philly is a glorious beacon of lightBruce in Philly is a glorious beacon of lightBruce in Philly is a glorious beacon of light
I have found all snow tires I owned became noisy after some wear. The only exception were Dunlops which I really liked ... but they wore quickly. Blizzaks were noisy and awfully mushy with their very soft sidewalls but great in the snow and last forever. I have owned two sets, one for my Boxster S and now for my wife's Lexus IS 250. I hate Pirelli snow tires. I will agree to disagree with many on these boards who do like them. I am not going to argue the point, but I will never never never buy another set of Pirellis.

I now have the Michelin Alpins but just put them on so I have no comment other than they have a softer sidewall than the Michelin PSSs and therefore a mushier feel. I am not upset at all by this as I expected this in a snow tire.

Peace
Bruce in Philly

Old 12-05-2013, 07:30 AM
What psi do you run front and rear?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Suggestions for 19" Snow Tires?