997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Buying my first 997

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-29-2014, 03:01 AM
tphan has a reputation beyond reputetphan has a reputation beyond reputetphan has a reputation beyond reputetphan has a reputation beyond reputetphan has a reputation beyond reputetphan has a reputation beyond reputetphan has a reputation beyond reputetphan has a reputation beyond reputetphan has a reputation beyond reputetphan has a reputation beyond reputetphan has a reputation beyond repute
Very nice, love the Aerokit wing.

Old 03-29-2014, 07:02 AM
Don
Don is a name known to allDon is a name known to allDon is a name known to allDon is a name known to allDon is a name known to allDon is a name known to all
Originally Posted by NFS007
Sweet ride don! Did you get a PPI before buying the car? I ask because I want to know if you were concerned about the whole RMS leak issues that usually comes with these yr models...
I know not getting a PPI is considered taboo. I was arranging for a PPI, which required me paying for a flatbed to either an independent shop or the Porsche dealer both of whom do a lot of business with my dealer, until I got a chance to talk to the previous owner (this car was at a dealership.) The original owner is in his 60's and a genuine good guy, owns a few exotics and is a race driver, raced 24 hrs of Daytona in the grand-am (in a Porsche ) class in the '90s. He told me he tracked the car once at Watkins Glen, replaced and painted the lower lip on the bumper cover and used the car in the summer when he wasn't using his other exotics.

This isn't my first Porsche. The RMS is no big deal, the IMS is a big deal, but I think blown out of proportion on early and late cars...not saying it doesn't happen, but on an 06 or newer I'm less worried and on an 05 it's not that big of a deal to get the upgrade. Do it all at clutch time.

As far as the other stuff goes. Not worried about a Porsche that has spent some time at red line or a scuff or two on an eight year old car. The money shift info would be nice, but I'm comfortable enough with what I know not to pay $500 to see if it experienced the money shift.

My car had a few scratches on the inside driver's side door handle probably from having keys in his hand when opening the door, scratches on the sill where he dragged his foot getting in and a scuff on the seat bolster. Wasn't expecting that, but certainly would not keep me from buying the car.

I didn't PPI my 996 either. In fact I bought it sight unseen from the owner of Rennline. Not saying they're a waste of money, but I happen to be lucky enough to have dealt with mature honest adults when buying mine. If you're not, then a PPI is probably worth it, but having been in the enthusiast Porsche community for just under five years I would say the people are very solid.

I wouldn't buy from a status symbol Porsche person...you'll know who they are right away. That's the car you need to worry about. The track person, race person, PCA person...they are your friends.

Last edited by Don; 03-29-2014 at 08:07 AM.
Old 03-30-2014, 08:02 AM
Don
Don is a name known to allDon is a name known to allDon is a name known to allDon is a name known to allDon is a name known to allDon is a name known to all
Here a few pictures from our trip.

Up at 0330 and on our first leg at 0530

In Cleveland at 0930

In the showroom to inspect the car

In car shot

Red Bull and V1...the only way to fly to Cleveland from Charleston and drive to Charlotte in one day

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0400.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	398.2 KB
ID:	352810   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0401.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	504.7 KB
ID:	352811   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0402.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	2.08 MB
ID:	352812   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0427.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	452.1 KB
ID:	352815   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0430.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	1.34 MB
ID:	352816  

Old 03-30-2014, 10:41 AM
997zen is on a distinguished road
Congrats on the new ride, and the adventure trip home here in our never ending winter!
Your car looks great, enjoy!
Coincidently Intercity Transport just delivered my 2007 C2S yesterday to me in Mountain Maryland, from Phoenix. Bought the car in January, and have waited two months for snow to melt so I could drive up my 1/4 mile driveway, covered by snow till last week! Car arrived yesterday, no snow, but this morning we got 4 inches more snow!
Can't wait to use the new toy here on our great drivers roads.

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	1,003.5 KB
ID:	352853  
Old 03-30-2014, 11:59 AM
ronole has much to be proud ofronole has much to be proud ofronole has much to be proud ofronole has much to be proud ofronole has much to be proud ofronole has much to be proud ofronole has much to be proud ofronole has much to be proud ofronole has much to be proud ofronole has much to be proud of
Don: Congrats on beautiful blue 997. I've the done the long distance car pickup twice now. I actually picked up my 996 in Charleston and drove to Northern VA. Most recently, I picked up my 997 and drove from Atlanta to the Tulsa area where I currently reside. My son is only 3 so we haven't had the chance of sharing what had to have been a awesome father/son bonding experience. Enjoy the car!

Old 03-30-2014, 12:19 PM
myw
myw is a splendid one to beholdmyw is a splendid one to beholdmyw is a splendid one to beholdmyw is a splendid one to beholdmyw is a splendid one to beholdmyw is a splendid one to beholdmyw is a splendid one to behold
congrats. some great father+son bonding there.

Originally Posted by Don
Here a few pictures from our trip.

Up at 0330 and on our first leg at 0530

In Cleveland at 0930

In the showroom to inspect the car

In car shot

Red Bull and V1...the only way to fly to Cleveland from Charleston and drive to Charlotte in one day

Old 03-30-2014, 12:35 PM
Don
Thanks everyone. My son has been working his tail off in school and needed a break. This definitely recharged his, and my, batteries.

Old 03-30-2014, 12:38 PM
Don
Originally Posted by 997zen
Congrats on the new ride, and the adventure trip home here in our never ending winter!
Your car looks great, enjoy!
Coincidently Intercity Transport just delivered my 2007 C2S yesterday to me in Mountain Maryland, from Phoenix. Bought the car in January, and have waited two months for snow to melt so I could drive up my 1/4 mile driveway, covered by snow till last week! Car arrived yesterday, no snow, but this morning we got 4 inches more snow!
Can't wait to use the new toy here on our great drivers roads.

Congrats! Looks great. I hope you get some driving time in soon. We definitely have great weather, but the roads are less than interesting...so we hit the track

Old 03-30-2014, 01:17 PM
Schpee007 is on a distinguished road
Congrats, Don. I bought my first Porsche back in December and my 7 year-old son flew with me to Dallas for the pick up and drive back to CO. The car was worth purchasing just for that 1:1 time together. I will always remember it. Enjoy your sweet ride. Love the 997 blues!

Old 03-31-2014, 07:55 AM
XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !
Good call driving straight back. We had a snowstorm start around 2:00 PM here on Saturday.

Old 04-02-2014, 07:56 PM
Don
I replaced the light tan mats with cocoa mats from Suncoast. They look great.

Name:	IMG_0444.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	1.97 MB
ID:	354694  
Old 04-02-2014, 07:57 PM
Don
I'm in Vegas this week and can't wait to get back home and get behind the wheel again!