997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.
View Poll Results: What Color to Refurbish OEM Lobster Wheels?
Black
39.58%
Charcoal Grey
25.00%
OEM Silver Metallic
35.42%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

19" Lobster Wheels - POLL for color?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-28-2014, 01:30 PM
Ion
Ion is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by GixxerGino
Paint on mine is Ugh...

So I have to refurb anyway to get anything, that's why I was leaning towards Charcoal or black to give them more appeal.

Plus I was going to include new caps as well, I've seen black go for $250 each on Rennslist and ebay.
I had lobster claws on my old Boxster S that were color matched to the factory seal grey paint. They looked amazing in the sunlight as the light really brought out the metallic flake. They were not just flat grey. I always got compliments on these wheels when Lobster Claws in silver seldom get any love. I have the Carrera Classics on my C2S, but I've been tempted to get another set of Lobster Claws to paint Meteor Grey, or to try and paint my current style wheels in a similar way.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	80-boxster_64707258957315127fb89629961d578119add2ba.jpg
Views:	15174
Size:	326.0 KB
ID:	379733  
Old 05-29-2014, 09:30 PM
MrMiggy is a jewel in the roughMrMiggy is a jewel in the roughMrMiggy is a jewel in the rough
OEM silver ftw

Old 06-20-2014, 10:31 PM
GixxerGino is a splendid one to beholdGixxerGino is a splendid one to beholdGixxerGino is a splendid one to beholdGixxerGino is a splendid one to beholdGixxerGino is a splendid one to beholdGixxerGino is a splendid one to behold
Wink

Ok well I went off the map on this one just to try something different...

Dark Iron Amethyst Metallic is the color I went with.

I will post pics once they are done.

Old 06-20-2014, 11:32 PM
mk8k8 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by shyamvenky
If possible, I would get the spokes alone painted black, and leave the lips in the OEM silver => gives some accent to the otherwise flush wheels. I don't know if everyone would like the look, but I feel its definitely much better than the plain looks of the OEM wheels.

I rehearsed that with plasti-dip before buying a set of Avant Garde Ruger Classics.

Here are a couple of pics I took after my "personalise with plastidip session"
how were you able to cut the plasti dip around each spoke??

Old 06-21-2014, 04:35 PM
Meteor997S is on a distinguished road
Like black with silver on lip

Old 06-21-2014, 04:37 PM
Meteor997S is on a distinguished road
Meteor looks sweet. My wheels are factory sport painted OEM GT silver. Looks good as well, especially against meteor gray body

Old 06-21-2014, 05:10 PM
Kustom64 is on a distinguished road
Maybe list them for sale with refinishing included at the color the buyer wants. That can appeal to everyone

Old 06-24-2014, 08:44 PM
colombiano is on a distinguished road
Wow Ion, the seal gray painted lobster with the lips silver look awesome ! Well done !

Old 06-26-2014, 04:56 PM
GixxerGino is a splendid one to beholdGixxerGino is a splendid one to beholdGixxerGino is a splendid one to beholdGixxerGino is a splendid one to beholdGixxerGino is a splendid one to beholdGixxerGino is a splendid one to behold
Red face

Originally Posted by Kustom64
Maybe list them for sale with refinishing included at the color the buyer wants. That can appeal to everyone

Yeah that would have been good, too late now! LOL

Old 07-15-2014, 06:30 PM
67blackcherry is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Ion
I had lobster claws on my old Boxster S that were color matched to the factory seal grey paint. They looked amazing in the sunlight as the light really brought out the metallic flake. They were not just flat grey. I always got compliments on these wheels when Lobster Claws in silver seldom get any love. I have the Carrera Classics on my C2S, but I've been tempted to get another set of Lobster Claws to paint Meteor Grey, or to try and paint my current style wheels in a similar way.

I was wondering what mine would look like if I painted them to match the body...that looks very sharp!
Is the lip a contrasting colour or is that just the shadow?

Old 08-25-2014, 08:47 PM
Cool

Well, I did them in OEM silver metallic and have a NEW set of GT3 style black/silver crest caps to go with them if anybody is interested???

Old 08-26-2014, 06:51 AM
RaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of lightRaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of lightRaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of lightRaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of lightRaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of lightRaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by Ion
Love the color. Like it in that combination. Thought about having mine done in black with the silver lip...but ended up getting a new set of aftermarket rims.

A bit off topic.....but is that your AC unit outside the garage in front of your home? Seems like a very odd place to put an AC unit!! Just asking.

Old 10-28-2014, 11:17 AM
Ion
Originally Posted by 67blackcherry
I was wondering what mine would look like if I painted them to match the body...that looks very sharp!
Is the lip a contrasting colour or is that just the shadow?
Thanks, if you are referring to the inner lip, that's just a shadow. The only color contrasting part was the outer lip in silver. I believe the face was painted and clear coated in the factory paint as it was an exact match.

Old 10-28-2014, 11:20 AM
Ion
Originally Posted by RaidersR1
Love the color. Like it in that combination. Thought about having mine done in black with the silver lip...but ended up getting a new set of aftermarket rims.

A bit off topic.....but is that your AC unit outside the garage in front of your home? Seems like a very odd place to put an AC unit!! Just asking.
That was a town house I rented for a while. The garage was on the back of the town house along with the AC since the side walls were shared. I've bought a house since with the AC in the usual location

Old 02-02-2015, 07:41 PM
By the way, I have these wheels in boxes in my storage ready to go in NEW condition, powder coated the FACTORY silver metallic with BRAND NEW OEM center caps with the BLACK crest!!!

LMK, and I'll make someone a deal!!!