997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.
View Poll Results: What Color to Refurbish OEM Lobster Wheels?
Black
39.58%
Charcoal Grey
25.00%
OEM Silver Metallic
35.42%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

19" Lobster Wheels - POLL for color?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-14-2014, 10:24 AM
GixxerGino is a splendid one to beholdGixxerGino is a splendid one to beholdGixxerGino is a splendid one to beholdGixxerGino is a splendid one to beholdGixxerGino is a splendid one to beholdGixxerGino is a splendid one to behold
19" Lobster Wheels - POLL for color?

Ok, So I am pulling a set of the Factory carerra S "lobster" wheels off my car and I am going to have them Refurbished and put them for sale.

My question to you guys is what color should I do them in?

Last edited by GixxerGino; 05-14-2014 at 10:26 AM. Reason: Edit title
Old 05-14-2014, 11:08 AM
buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !
stock silver will give you the biggest audience i would think

are they worth the cost of refinishing, will you get your money back ? i see them for sale all over ebay but have no idea what they actually sell for

Old 05-14-2014, 12:45 PM
shyamvenky has a reputation beyond reputeshyamvenky has a reputation beyond reputeshyamvenky has a reputation beyond reputeshyamvenky has a reputation beyond reputeshyamvenky has a reputation beyond reputeshyamvenky has a reputation beyond reputeshyamvenky has a reputation beyond reputeshyamvenky has a reputation beyond reputeshyamvenky has a reputation beyond reputeshyamvenky has a reputation beyond reputeshyamvenky has a reputation beyond repute
If possible, I would get the spokes alone painted black, and leave the lips in the OEM silver => gives some accent to the otherwise flush wheels. I don't know if everyone would like the look, but I feel its definitely much better than the plain looks of the OEM wheels.

I rehearsed that with plasti-dip before buying a set of Avant Garde Ruger Classics.

Here are a couple of pics I took after my "personalise with plastidip session"

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20140426_00720140426211050.jpg
Views:	1135
Size:	442.8 KB
ID:	374691   Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20140426_00620140426205011.jpg
Views:	858
Size:	689.7 KB
ID:	374692  
Old 05-14-2014, 12:58 PM
GixxerGino is a splendid one to beholdGixxerGino is a splendid one to beholdGixxerGino is a splendid one to beholdGixxerGino is a splendid one to beholdGixxerGino is a splendid one to beholdGixxerGino is a splendid one to behold
Wink

Originally Posted by buzzm
are they worth the cost of refinishing, will you get your money back ? i see them for sale all over ebay but have no idea what they actually sell for

I have a buddy who a wheel repair shop here in Houston, I'll just end up trading him a deep sea fishing trip for the work so cost not really a factor.

Old 05-14-2014, 01:09 PM
Originally Posted by shyamvenky
If possible, I would get the spokes alone painted black, and leave the lips in the OEM silver

Looks good, but would require more work on there part.

Old 05-14-2014, 02:15 PM
FlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by buzzm
stock silver will give you the biggest audience i would think
Ditto

Old 05-14-2014, 02:36 PM
Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !
I got around $600 for a complete low mileage set FYI.

Old 05-14-2014, 04:27 PM
Originally Posted by Johnny DB
I got around $600 for a complete low mileage set FYI.

Paint on mine is Ugh...

So I have to refurb anyway to get anything, that's why I was leaning towards Charcoal or black to give them more appeal.

Plus I was going to include new caps as well, I've seen black go for $250 each on Rennslist and ebay.

Old 05-15-2014, 08:14 PM
Wink

Leaning towards a charcoal grey, it seems there has been some interest in this color over the others...

Old 05-15-2014, 10:15 PM
mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !
How much is refinishing? >$100 per wheel? Doesn't that eat all your profit?

Personally I'd try and sell them "as-in" condition.

Old 05-16-2014, 07:29 AM
killacam Is a GOD !killacam Is a GOD !killacam Is a GOD !killacam Is a GOD !killacam Is a GOD !killacam Is a GOD !killacam Is a GOD !killacam Is a GOD !killacam Is a GOD !killacam Is a GOD !killacam Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by mattyf
How much is refinishing? >$100 per wheel? Doesn't that eat all your profit?

Personally I'd try and sell them "as-in" condition.
his buddy is doing them for next to nothing. i would go with dark grey. if i remember correctly, i sold my lobsters for around $750.

Old 05-16-2014, 10:25 PM
mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by killacam
his buddy is doing them for next to nothing. i would go with dark grey. if i remember correctly, i sold my lobsters for around $750.
D'oh! Then I vote to two-tone like the venkdawg. That or OEM.

Originally Posted by shyamvenky
If possible, I would get the spokes alone painted black, and leave the lips in the OEM silver => gives some accent to the otherwise flush wheels.

Old 05-18-2014, 09:19 AM
mk3boy is just really nicemk3boy is just really nicemk3boy is just really nicemk3boy is just really nice
gloss black

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-389522865.jpg
Views:	586
Size:	368.3 KB
ID:	375950  
Old 05-18-2014, 11:53 AM
mccarthy_sean will become famous soon enough
I have the factory gloss black painted Carrera S (lobster claw) wheels on my '06 C4S and love them. They have a sliver painted lip and really show off the red brake calipers. They were option CDB from the factory and I prefer them much more than the standard silver finish.

Sean

Old 05-22-2014, 07:11 PM
Anderson is on a distinguished road
Gloss black or matte black. Other option is matte bronze. .looks real nice.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 19" Lobster Wheels - POLL for color?