997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Experience with Dension 500S BT and Recommendation

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-05-2014, 11:58 AM
nzskater Is a GOD !nzskater Is a GOD !nzskater Is a GOD !nzskater Is a GOD !nzskater Is a GOD !nzskater Is a GOD !nzskater Is a GOD !nzskater Is a GOD !nzskater Is a GOD !nzskater Is a GOD !nzskater Is a GOD !
Going switched was a work around for the BlueTooth issue so constant should be ok. Mine is installed behind/below the PCM for ease of access (can get to it without removing anything) and I find it connects when I'm 10 meters away at least, even so far as to do so through a wall or two. Unsure what putting it in a metal enclosure would do to the signal however.

Old 11-05-2014, 11:15 PM
Yaredna is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by simoncpw
Quick question on updating the firmware:

1) do I copy both the .rom and .cfg files to the USB drive, then run the update, or
2) copy the .rom file and update first, then copy the .cfg and run the update again?

Thanks.
Simon, I received the .rom file. Placed it on a USB stick with a couple of MP3 on the root directory, and did the upgrade. Was this your question ?

Old 11-05-2014, 11:19 PM
Yaredna is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Hella-Buggin'
Ok so, my old Dension died and I'm about to buy the new one. It appears as though the 56 software upgraded has addressed many if the issues from this thread. Is there a consensus on the switched vs unstitched power? Ong previous unfit I went switched and tapped into the cd changer power.

Also, will the Bluetooth signal be stable if the Dension is in the trunk?
Agreeing with NZSkater: the switched power is not ideal, and would have issues when/if you take you car for service, for example. It was a workaround that Al devised to overcome the bluetooth crash issue.

Firmware 0056 solved the bluetooth crash issue. You should plan on going UNswitched power (constant power). Mine is installed behind the PCM, and I have no bluetooth connection issues.

Old 11-05-2014, 11:21 PM
simoncpw is a jewel in the roughsimoncpw is a jewel in the roughsimoncpw is a jewel in the rough
From the file downloaded from Dension, there's a .cfg included that's it's meant for Porsche with PCM2.1. So I was wondering if it should be loaded at the same time during the upgrade, or only after the upgrade is done.

Anyway, I did them together and seems to be working fine. Thanks.

Originally Posted by Yaredna
Simon, I received the .rom file. Placed it on a USB stick with a couple of MP3 on the root directory, and did the upgrade. Was this your question ?

Old 11-05-2014, 11:28 PM
simoncpw is a jewel in the roughsimoncpw is a jewel in the roughsimoncpw is a jewel in the rough
When connected to un-switched power, and if I leave an iPhone connected via USB, would it continues to charge the phone even if the car is switched off? And if so, will it drain the battery significantly, given I drive the car for about 30mins only daily?

Old 03-14-2015, 11:37 AM
chopperharris is on a distinguished road
Having trouble upgrading to 56

Hi All,
As per previous posts I've got the 'workaround' solution in place at the moment which has been great.
It looks like the issue has now been resolved by FW 56 but when I try and upgrade the Dension seems to go into a loop (lost of rebooting and blinking led) and the firmware doesn't upgrade.
Question - has anyone upgraded to 56 while their system is wired as per the workaround? Mine still is so I'm wondering if that could be causing the strange behaviour?
Open to any other suggestions

Thanks all

Old 03-16-2015, 12:25 PM
Originally Posted by chopperharris
Hi All,
As per previous posts I've got the 'workaround' solution in place at the moment which has been great.
It looks like the issue has now been resolved by FW 56 but when I try and upgrade the Dension seems to go into a loop (lost of rebooting and blinking led) and the firmware doesn't upgrade.
Question - has anyone upgraded to 56 while their system is wired as per the workaround? Mine still is so I'm wondering if that could be causing the strange behaviour?
Open to any other suggestions

Thanks all
Scratch that - I changed to a different USB stick and it worked fine. I can also confirm 56 seems to have sorted all the BT woes. Good news indeed.

Old 03-16-2015, 12:30 PM
nzskater Is a GOD !nzskater Is a GOD !nzskater Is a GOD !nzskater Is a GOD !nzskater Is a GOD !nzskater Is a GOD !nzskater Is a GOD !nzskater Is a GOD !nzskater Is a GOD !nzskater Is a GOD !nzskater Is a GOD !
Nice one. I have a problem now where playing music off an iPhone via USB cable results in being unable to skip tracks using the PCM. Be interested to know if anyone else has this problem?

Old 03-16-2015, 12:48 PM
Originally Posted by nzskater
Nice one. I have a problem now where playing music off an iPhone via USB cable results in being unable to skip tracks using the PCM. Be interested to know if anyone else has this problem?
Hi - never tried that but will give a try. What iPhone do you have?

Old 03-16-2015, 01:11 PM
iPhone 5S, running now the latest 8.x firmware.