997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

How easy is it to drop a 997.2 motor in a 997.1?

Old 07-09-2014, 06:06 PM
mccarthy_sean will become famous soon enough
How easy is it to drop a 997.2 motor in a 997.1?

I searched the web and didn't find anything. I'm actually kind of surprised this hasn't been discussed much before. Anyone know if a 997.2 engine (DFI) can be dropped in a 997.1 car relatively easy? Any major mods required? Are there compatibility issues?

The reason I'm asking is a guy on Rennlist just spent a small fortune replacing his 997.1 motor like-for-like. Apparently there are no more new 997.1 engines in crates lying around the Porsche factory anymore. So if you want a new 997.1 engine, they have to gather up all the pieces scattered about and build you one. Hence the high cost. That made me wonder about the feasibility of using a 997.2 engine instead.

Sean

Old 07-09-2014, 10:30 PM
Hella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud of
I'd imagine a new wiring harness and ecu. It would probably cost more than the car with a blown engine was worth. Assuming the transmission bolts on and is a manual. I'm not sure a crate .2 engine would be any cheaper. Getting a short block .1 means that can use most of the parts from your existing engine. Getting a .2 would need to be a turnkey.

Old 07-12-2014, 12:52 PM
spoddle is a jewel in the roughspoddle is a jewel in the roughspoddle is a jewel in the rough
I'm guessing it would bolt up just fine. You would need the ecu, full harness, possibly the gauge cluster and exhaust. Although I'm guessing the .1 exhaust would bolt up fine to a .2 engine.

Old 07-14-2014, 07:21 AM
youngwoony will become famous soon enough
Interesting. Keep up news if you decide to try this!

Old 07-14-2014, 08:15 AM
MarcoRemius is on a distinguished road
I'm guessing the fuel pumps would be different since the DFI systems use a much higher fuel pressure...

Old 07-14-2014, 09:34 AM
Stage7 has a reputation beyond reputeStage7 has a reputation beyond reputeStage7 has a reputation beyond reputeStage7 has a reputation beyond reputeStage7 has a reputation beyond reputeStage7 has a reputation beyond reputeStage7 has a reputation beyond reputeStage7 has a reputation beyond reputeStage7 has a reputation beyond reputeStage7 has a reputation beyond reputeStage7 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by spoddle
Although I'm guessing the .1 exhaust would bolt up fine to a .2 engine.
The exhaust is different.

I wouldn't attempt this unless someone gave me a .1 car and a .2 engine for free.

Best to sell the .1 and buy a .2 car. It will be a black hole of $$$ and effort.

Old 07-14-2014, 10:12 AM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Get the latest issue of Excellence and read the Tech article on dropping a 3.8 into a Boxster - sounds like most of the issues will be wiring harnesses, etc....and expensive to do.

Old 07-14-2014, 07:59 PM
I personally have no need to do this right now . . . my 997.1 only has 17K miles and my car is running fine. However what prompted me to start this thread was reading about a guy on Rennlist who had to replace his 997.1 engine that crapped out after only 25K miles. It set him back $20K to install a brand new one. If putting a 997.2 motor in a 997.1 body is simple, I'm curious how much more it would have cost him to upgrade to the DFI.

I saw a low mileage DFI motor on Fleabay for a bit over $12K, but that did include a $3K core charge. I'm thinking you could drop in a used 997.2 engine and be in it for around $20K. But I might be completely off base since I have no idea what's involved.

Sean

Old 07-14-2014, 08:21 PM
Steve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by mccarthy_sean
I personally have no need to do this right now . . . my 997.1 only has 17K miles and my car is running fine. However what prompted me to start this thread was reading about a guy on Rennlist who had to replace his 997.1 engine that crapped out after only 25K miles. It set him back $20K to install a brand new one. If putting a 997.2 motor in a 997.1 body is simple, I'm curious how much more it would have cost him to upgrade to the DFI.

I saw a low mileage DFI motor on Fleabay for a bit over $12K, but that did include a $3K core charge. I'm thinking you could drop in a used 997.2 engine and be in it for around $20K. But I might be completely off base since I have no idea what's involved.

Sean
You seem very worried about your car's reliability. Recommend you trade for something with a warranty for peace of mind. I'm sure you have no plan to do that, so while you own your car, keep the revs above 2,500, and change the oil annually at a minimum. Don't baby it, it's a Porsche.

Old 07-14-2014, 09:13 PM
martidamm Is a GOD !martidamm Is a GOD !martidamm Is a GOD !martidamm Is a GOD !martidamm Is a GOD !martidamm Is a GOD !martidamm Is a GOD !martidamm Is a GOD !martidamm Is a GOD !martidamm Is a GOD !martidamm Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Steve997S
keep the revs above 2,500, .
why keep revs above 2500?? Just curious.....

Old 07-14-2014, 09:52 PM
Steve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by martidamm
why keep revs above 2500?? Just curious.....
Supposedly better for IMS longevity. Some also recommend 5W-40 oil too. Regardless, it's never a good idea to lug the motor at low rpms. We have a tendency to under use the motors here I think. These cars are designed for autobahn use and can handle sustained high rpms. To the point the exhaust glows orange.

Old 07-15-2014, 04:04 AM
You seem very worried about your car's reliability. Recommend you trade for something with a warranty for peace of mind. I'm sure you have no plan to do that, so while you own your car, keep the revs above 2,500, and change the oil annually at a minimum. Don't baby it, it's a Porsche.
WTF are you talking about? I'm amazed you were able to determine what keeps me up at night. You Sir are a regular Magnum P.I. If you read the original post you will find out why I asked the question.

Old 07-15-2014, 05:55 AM
Originally Posted by mccarthy_sean
WTF are you talking about? I'm amazed you were able to determine what keeps me up at night. You Sir are a regular Magnum P.I. If you read the original post you will find out why I asked the question.
Overreact much? I read the first post. The factory not having replacement motors on hand doesn't keep me up at night. Why speculate over something with such a low probability of need? It's not even an interesting topic as it's ridiculous to imagine doing it.

Old 07-15-2014, 06:59 AM
Overreact much? I read the first post. The factory not having replacement motors on hand doesn't keep me up at night. Why speculate over something with such a low probability of need? It's not even an interesting topic as it's ridiculous to imagine doing it.
If it's not an interesting topic to you, then why are you responding? I asked a simple question which you don't appear to know the answer to. Instead you offer off-topic insight into my state of mind, tell me to sell my car, and offer tips on how to drive these cars. Your comments serve no purpose other than to be argumentative.

Old 07-15-2014, 08:20 AM
GS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by spoddle
I'm guessing it would bolt up just fine. You would need the ecu, full harness, possibly the gauge cluster and exhaust. Although I'm guessing the .1 exhaust would bolt up fine to a .2 engine.
Not sure it will just bolt up easy. I think I remember Porsche saying when the new DFI engine came out that in addition to the fewer number of moving parts in the engine, the engine actually sits lower in the car than the previous engine givng a lower center of gravity. So, if it does sit lower, it might not just be an easy bolt in.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: How easy is it to drop a 997.2 motor in a 997.1?