997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Atl area - What type of tire do you use in the winter?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-31-2014, 07:06 PM
pderover is on a distinguished road
Atl area - What type of tire do you use in the winter?

I currently drive an 06 997 with PZero Neros. In the winter they're not optimal, but can still drive with them. Soon my Pcar will be used as a DD, should I stay with the PZN or get an additional set of winter tires? I live in the atl area and it doesn't get cold like the Midwest. What do other Pcar in atl use?

Old 08-31-2014, 09:49 PM
PatrickBateman is on a distinguished road
Having some experience with the ATL in winter season... with temps not reaching optimal lows for summer skins, I would give the nod to All Seasons, and purchase an extra set of wheels/tires.

I run dedicated snows here in the Midwest.

Old 09-01-2014, 05:32 AM
JohnAMG will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by PatrickBateman
Having some experience with the ATL in winter season... with temps not reaching optimal lows for summer skins, I would give the nod to All Seasons, and purchase an extra set of wheels/tires.

I run dedicated snows here in the Midwest.
I too run dedicated snow tire/wheel setup from December to April in Buffalo winter. For the OP a set of all season with light snow traction should be more than adequate.

John

Old 09-01-2014, 06:43 AM
Steve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond repute
In Atlanta, like Charlotte where I grew up, or San Antonio where I live now, there will be days when a winter tire is optimal. But most days you can get away with summer rubber. If you don't mind switching out wheels/tires when needed, I'd rather have real winter rubber. Winter rubber is night and day better in the white stuff and freezing temps than all-season rubber. I know this from 5 years living in Germany and having great winter rubber tires (Michelin Pilot Alpin). In warm temps, winter rubber won't last long which is why you'd need to go back and forth except in perhaps January/February. If too much trouble for you, then all-seasons are a better solution.

Old 09-01-2014, 07:33 AM
b2sc is on a distinguished road
I live in Charlotte, a few hours north of Atlanta. Our weather is very similar and I run ultra high performance summer tires year round. I won't drive my 997 in the snow but do drive it to work at least once a week in temps below freezing. Just know that it takes some time to get heat into the tires on cold days.

Old 09-01-2014, 03:10 PM
Steve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by b2sc
I live in Charlotte, a few hours north of Atlanta. Our weather is very similar and I run ultra high performance summer tires year round. I won't drive my 997 in the snow but do drive it to work at least once a week in temps below freezing. Just know that it takes some time to get heat into the tires on cold days.
Just to clarify a little, summer tires will never build up enough heat to work in freezing temps. It's impossible. Summer tires become brick hard in freezing temps and any freezing precip will stick to them like glue making them dangerous. You're lucky that Charlotte pavement is like sandpaper so it helps with dry grip in winter. I agree you can get away with summer rubber provided you don't operate your vehicle in sub zero wet or icy conditions. But if I had to, I'd sure like a set of winter tires to mount up. Winter rubber is very soft and tread blocks flex in even extreme cold temps, which is how it builds up heat. It also channels water much better and ejects ice/snow from the tread thanks to the flexing tread blocks. I think a better solution is to buy a cheap car with winter tires to drive on adverse winter days. That way you don't have to worry about all the idiots crashing into your car. MINIs make excellent adverse weather cars with FWD and winter tires. It's also fun enough to drive to work and not feel like you're driving a rental.

Old 09-01-2014, 03:13 PM
...or take vacation days during bad weather days. There won't be but a handful which are dangerous enough conditions. Enjoy kicking back while others are fighting for their lives!

Old 09-01-2014, 03:55 PM
windboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond reputewindboat has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by pderover
I currently drive an 06 997 with PZero Neros. In the winter they're not optimal, but can still drive with them. Soon my Pcar will be used as a DD, should I stay with the PZN or get an additional set of winter tires? I live in the atl area and it doesn't get cold like the Midwest. What do other Pcar in atl use?
There no real reason to have winter tires in ATL, we only get 1"-2" of snow a year and that normally melts in 24 hours. But if you feel strongly about having them, go for it, by the way I have a snowblower in my garage here in ATL from when I lived in Green Bay that I will make you a great deal on.

Old 09-04-2014, 10:33 AM
pderover is on a distinguished road
Thanks for all the feedback! Just checked tire rack and there are no all-season tires for 265/30/20 and 305/25/20