997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Time to replace the brakes!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-08-2015, 01:55 AM
no1joey is a name known to allno1joey is a name known to allno1joey is a name known to allno1joey is a name known to allno1joey is a name known to allno1joey is a name known to all
Time to replace the brakes!

The time has come for new brakes on my 997S, getting front & rears done.

I was told over the phone that the shop will measure the discs with a micrometre and if sufficient width they will machine the discs to get rid of the lip that has formed on the outer edge, if not able to they will have to replace.

Any comments/opinions/advice?

Thanks guys

Old 01-08-2015, 03:27 AM
PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by no1joey
The time has come for new brakes on my 997S, getting front & rears done.

I was told over the phone that the shop will measure the discs with a micrometre and if sufficient width they will machine the discs to get rid of the lip that has formed on the outer edge, if not able to they will have to replace.

Any comments/opinions/advice?

Thanks guys
I'd replace them. New pads to new rotors.

Old 01-08-2015, 05:55 AM
FlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by PTParks
I'd replace them. New pads to new rotors.
+1, all new way more better!

Old 01-08-2015, 07:10 AM
rickdogg82 will become famous soon enough
If the rotors can be resurfaced (remain within spec) and you save $, I would go that route. Braking performance will not change assuming you replace the pads with the same type on the car now.

Old 01-08-2015, 12:51 PM
no1joey is a name known to allno1joey is a name known to allno1joey is a name known to allno1joey is a name known to allno1joey is a name known to allno1joey is a name known to all
Thanks guys, any recommendations on the pads? Stick with OEM?

Old 01-08-2015, 04:56 PM
PatrickBateman is on a distinguished road
I did all 4 corners on my 08 4S this last fall, and used all new OEM parts and Motul race fluid. Im not a fan of reusing old rotors with new pads. If you get 30K miles out of front rotors, why not just replace them?

"resurfacing" removes material leading to metals getting hotter....quicker.

The parts should run you around $1k-1200. I went ahead and replaced all brake lines as well over to stainless steel which typically helps with a bit firmer pedal. Not a fan of rubber hoses.

if the shop is really advising they would be ok shaving your rotors, I wouldn't hire them to do my brakes.

Old 01-08-2015, 05:14 PM
OldBoldPilot has a reputation beyond reputeOldBoldPilot has a reputation beyond reputeOldBoldPilot has a reputation beyond reputeOldBoldPilot has a reputation beyond reputeOldBoldPilot has a reputation beyond reputeOldBoldPilot has a reputation beyond reputeOldBoldPilot has a reputation beyond reputeOldBoldPilot has a reputation beyond reputeOldBoldPilot has a reputation beyond reputeOldBoldPilot has a reputation beyond reputeOldBoldPilot has a reputation beyond repute
You might want to compare Suncoast's prices on brake parts to whatever your shop is quoting you. I saved a ton by getting the parts from them.

Oops, I see you're in Sydney. Never mind, the shipping would eat up any savings.

Old 01-08-2015, 06:46 PM
porschelady is just really niceporschelady is just really niceporschelady is just really niceporschelady is just really niceporschelady is just really nice
dealership did my fronts last year because it was too cold to do it in my garage. Big mistake. They charged me $900.00 just to replace pads only and change fluid. Didn't even resurface rotors. Won't make that mistake again.

Old 01-08-2015, 07:40 PM
StormRune Is a GOD !StormRune Is a GOD !StormRune Is a GOD !StormRune Is a GOD !StormRune Is a GOD !StormRune Is a GOD !StormRune Is a GOD !StormRune Is a GOD !StormRune Is a GOD !StormRune Is a GOD !StormRune Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by no1joey
Thanks guys, any recommendations on the pads? Stick with OEM?
Search the forum for discussions on the Hawk Ceramic pads. Perform as well as OEM in my opinion (and others), OEM fitment quality, but with 3-4 times less dust on your wheels and the dust that does get there is less stick and harder to see (not black).

I've used them on my last 3 (or maybe even 4?) cars.

Old 01-08-2015, 08:38 PM
PatrickBateman is on a distinguished road
I used suncoast for all my OEM brake parts. The savings was very good.
My pads I sourced textar brand, (this is who makes OEM Porsche stamped pads), they were around 40% less than the Porsche branded pads and the exact same thing.

I used a permatex spray brake quiet to the back of the pads the night before the install. Has typically helped with chatter/squeal on other cars, but seems im bedding my rears about every 2 weeks in the winter for squeal.

Old 01-09-2015, 06:11 AM
StormRune Is a GOD !StormRune Is a GOD !StormRune Is a GOD !StormRune Is a GOD !StormRune Is a GOD !StormRune Is a GOD !StormRune Is a GOD !StormRune Is a GOD !StormRune Is a GOD !StormRune Is a GOD !StormRune Is a GOD !
I just put the OEM anti-squeal shims used on the OEM pads back onto my Hawks and never have any squeals to deal with. That is what they are there for.

Old 01-09-2015, 07:07 AM
LPpfs997 is a splendid one to beholdLPpfs997 is a splendid one to beholdLPpfs997 is a splendid one to beholdLPpfs997 is a splendid one to beholdLPpfs997 is a splendid one to beholdLPpfs997 is a splendid one to beholdLPpfs997 is a splendid one to beholdLPpfs997 is a splendid one to behold
I'm wondering how many 6speeders have done a brake job on their Porsche 911 ? If any, could you rate the scale of the project, say relative to a BMW 3 series. I saw daberlin recent post, and that post/video by Old Baldy. Seems the tools aren't the issue; pretty standard. The older 996 set up allowed pad removal without caliper removal.

Old 01-09-2015, 08:05 AM
mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by LPpfs997
I'm wondering how many 6speeders have done a brake job on their Porsche 911 ? If any, could you rate the scale of the project, say relative to a BMW 3 series. I saw daberlin recent post, and that post/video by Old Baldy. Seems the tools aren't the issue; pretty standard. The older 996 set up allowed pad removal without caliper removal.
It's essentially the same as the 996. It only gets tricky if the anti-squeal pad is rusty and gets stuck in the piston and you have to drill it out. Don't ask how I know this.

Old 01-09-2015, 10:52 AM
Originally Posted by LPpfs997
I'm wondering how many 6speeders have done a brake job on their Porsche 911 ? If any, could you rate the scale of the project, say relative to a BMW 3 series...
I previously had a BMW 335i that I changed the brakes on and this brake change is much easier. On the BMW there was a spring mechanism that put up quite a fight and was difficult to get off and on, especially on the front. I've changed the brakes on both a 997.1 C4 and a 997.2 C2S. I understand that a non-S 997.2 is a different procedure and requires removing the calipers to change the pads, unless of course, you are replacing the rotor as well. On an .2 S, only a single pin needs to be removed.

The only trick involved is popping off the original damping pads that stick on the back of the pads. They have a springy metal insert that fits into the piston so if they are sticking strongly to the pad you cannot slide the pad out sideways. They can be relatively easily popped off the back of the pad using a sharp-edged putty knife though. Mine still had enough stickyness that I used them again on my new pads and haven't had any squeal problems. These will probably need replacing next time though. It's a shame the shims are as pricey as they are.

Old 01-09-2015, 02:51 PM
LPpfs997 is a splendid one to beholdLPpfs997 is a splendid one to beholdLPpfs997 is a splendid one to beholdLPpfs997 is a splendid one to beholdLPpfs997 is a splendid one to beholdLPpfs997 is a splendid one to beholdLPpfs997 is a splendid one to beholdLPpfs997 is a splendid one to behold
Thanks for the follow-up StormRune & mattyf.

The future will include a day getting the pcar up !

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Time to replace the brakes!