997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

CA. drivers, are u running a front plate

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-22-2015, 07:01 PM
s4alex is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by dalancroft
Absolutely right. I see vehicles with, say, expired tags or a brake light out and just hope a) they have current insurance and/or b) they aren't driving drunk cuz otherwise ... BIG trouble!
Actually, I was just in court and had a case dismissed because a CHP pulled over a driver for having expired tags.

1. The displayed tags were expired

however, the car was currently registered, it just didn't have the current sticker showing. The CHP either did run the plate first and still pulled over the car or didn't run the plate and still pulled over the car.

The judge ruled that since the plate was current and the officer should have known this because he should have run the plate prior, the case was dismissed.

This was brought on by the drivers attorney with a relevant past case precedence.

So, nice rule of thumb, a expired tag alone is not probably cause to pull over some one, as long as the plate is run and the current plates are current.

If they come back expired, then knock yourself out.

Old 01-22-2015, 09:32 PM
Rob_G is on a distinguished road
Nope but has someone used the tow hook license plate to pass the CHP inspection?

Old 01-23-2015, 02:23 AM
TheLex is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by barncobob
friends and I have issues with Folsom and Roseville PD tactics
Care to share what happened? I'm not too far from these areas.

Old 01-23-2015, 08:44 AM
Tcc1999 is a splendid one to beholdTcc1999 is a splendid one to beholdTcc1999 is a splendid one to beholdTcc1999 is a splendid one to beholdTcc1999 is a splendid one to beholdTcc1999 is a splendid one to behold
It may not be aesthetically great but I have left the temporary registration packet on the front windshield. I figure that a policeman would have to see your car from the front, obviously, not to notice a front plate and if he/she is looking and also sees the temporary registration packet they may just figure it is a newly bought car that does not have it's plates yet. I don't know how effective this is but it does give peace of mind. That said, I have gotten a meter-maid $30 ticket in Berkeley. The simple solution was to place some double sided adhesive on the front plate, dirty it up so that it marginally sticks (and leaves no residue when removing) and pop it on when I park (in Berkeley). It seems though that a no front plate municipal violation only happens when they ticket you for something else, like expired meter, etc. (again, at least that is my experience in Berkeley).

Also, Nevada may not require a front plate (they don't if your car is not designed for a front plate and the manufacturer does not provide a bracket) so it is possible to skate by on this. (Pretty thin but a possibility)

Finally, there are so many tourists from different states in Napa and the Bay area that it is hard to tell, unless you see the rear CA plate, that a car is legitimately from a state that does not requires a front plate.

Old 01-26-2015, 12:09 AM
cab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud of
Santa Monica and Beverly Hills are notorious for no plate tickets. Sadly, I work in BH so I have a front plate in semi-stealth location without drilling the front bumper.

Old 01-26-2015, 11:12 AM
djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !
front plate fix it ticket 3 years ago
tint side windows 3 years ago (i roll down the window when i smell bacon now)
rear plate fix it ticket last month

i drive my car only a few times a year. it's always CHP. they are always younger and get jealous.

that is why i dont buy into the 11-99 chp crap. they have to pry my paws to get my money.

Old 01-26-2015, 11:14 AM
mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Rob_G
Nope but has someone used the tow hook license plate to pass the CHP inspection?
or what it's worth I used it to pass the South Pasadena inspection. Ticket said I could have gone to CHP as well. South Pas was cool, they just gave it a little tug. If you're close by you can borrow tow hook mount.

Old 01-26-2015, 11:53 AM
dethman has much to be proud ofdethman has much to be proud ofdethman has much to be proud ofdethman has much to be proud ofdethman has much to be proud ofdethman has much to be proud ofdethman has much to be proud ofdethman has much to be proud ofdethman has much to be proud of
negative in orange county.

Old 01-26-2015, 12:00 PM
911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute
Yes, not a problem for me. Both in an SL55 and 911TT.

Old 01-26-2015, 12:01 PM
911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Hatzenbach
Actually this worked out great for me once.
I got pulled over for speeding and somehow at the end the CHP officer gave me the choice between a moving violation or a fix it ticket for the missing front plate - this was in the car before my current ride.
I got my 997 used and it has two super-fugly holes in the front bumper (for the license plate holder) from the previous owner, so my new ride has a front plate :-(
Same here! Got the fix-it ticket instead...

Old 01-26-2015, 12:12 PM
golfnutintib is on a distinguished road
yes i have

Old 01-28-2015, 12:41 AM
vg247 has a spectacular aura aboutvg247 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by djantlive
front plate fix it ticket 3 years ago
tint side windows 3 years ago (i roll down the window when i smell bacon now)
rear plate fix it ticket last month

i drive my car only a few times a year. it's always CHP. they are always younger and get jealous.

that is why i dont buy into the 11-99 chp crap. they have to pry my paws to get my money.
Couldn't have said it any better! Been a while, hope all is well DJ

Old 01-28-2015, 12:58 AM
Originally Posted by barncobob
friends and I have issues with Folsom and Roseville PD tactics
Ruh Roh - I live right by these areas. What are the tax collection agents doing?

Old 01-28-2015, 08:00 PM
dalancroft is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by TheLex
Care to share what happened? I'm not too far from these areas.
Bored CHP officer on 280 ignoring all the other cars going 75-85 mph around her.

Old 01-31-2015, 02:29 AM
Originally Posted by dalancroft
Bored CHP officer on 280 ignoring all the other cars going 75-85 mph around her.
The CHP and Sheriffs love to camp out around Burligame/Hillsborough exits and then around the 92 turnoff on 280. The area by the 92 turnoff is a big sweeper and it's super easy for cars to get way past 70 mph and it's easy pickings for the revenue enforcement agents.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: CA. drivers, are u running a front plate