997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

2 nuts, that's all you need

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-26-2015, 09:17 AM
slowday is on a distinguished road
2 nuts, that's all you need

At least that's what whoever took the other 4 wheel nuts from my front left wheel. I parked in a somewhat sketchy place for approximately 2 hours. Retuned to my car and drove home on the highway.
While on the highway my car slowly became more and more rattly. I thought the bearings or torsion bar was gone. Funny enough the problem felt like it was with the front right wheel. I come off the highway did a quick check on front right wheel and it look ok. Kept going. Car became more unstable. Steering wheel really shaking at this point. Parked, did another check, no problem.
Got home and jacked the car up. Nothing. Went to the left wheel and low and behold. 4 missing nuts.
If you are going to steal a wheel why not just finish off the job. At least I know not to drive the car.
Either that or the dam nuts came loose themselves.

Old 04-26-2015, 02:40 PM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by slowday
Either that or the dam nuts came loose themselves.
I guess that's possible...when was the last time you or anyone else had the wheel off?

Old 04-26-2015, 02:51 PM
Administrator
GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !
Eek...I thought this thread was going to be about going fast on a track...glad you made it home safe....I try to check my nuts regularly....even when just driving on the street....especially if you change wheels often for track days

Old 04-26-2015, 02:55 PM
Kricci Is a GOD !Kricci Is a GOD !Kricci Is a GOD !Kricci Is a GOD !Kricci Is a GOD !Kricci Is a GOD !Kricci Is a GOD !Kricci Is a GOD !Kricci Is a GOD !Kricci Is a GOD !Kricci Is a GOD !
Went to the left wheel and low and behold. 4 missing nuts.
I think you are only missing 3

That sucks, but glad that you didn't lose the wheel while driving.. are you running any spacers or anything?

I had a similar issue on my 76 Bronco and the previous owner was running spacers and didn't use extended studs, as a result the lugs were barely threaded on and one by one they came loose...

Old 04-26-2015, 03:18 PM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Kricci
I think you are only missing 3

That sucks, but glad that you didn't lose the wheel while driving.. are you running any spacers or anything?

I had a similar issue on my 76 Bronco and the previous owner was running spacers and didn't use extended studs, as a result the lugs were barely threaded on and one by one they came loose...
But it does look like 4 empty holes in his pic - even more of a nightmare! You raise a good point about spacers if OP is running spacers but used the standard length bolts.

Old 04-26-2015, 04:20 PM
cab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud of
Don't want to sound as if the sky is falling, but did you p!ssed someone and he/she wanted for you to have an accident? Lost front wheel at high speed is more violent than a missing rear.

I would think that if theft was the intent, he would have started with the rears?

Old 04-26-2015, 05:36 PM
The more I think about it the less I think it's theft. The wheels were put on about 3 weeks ago for summer tires and the car has probably done about 500 miles since then. I think the damn nuts just came off.
Which leads to a new question. How tight do you guys tighten the wheel nuts? I never use a torque wrench to measure but simply go as tight as my arms can go ( no standing on the wrench). Always worked in the past. But maybe I've been lucky.

And yeah, "only" 3 nuts missing. Lol. No forum worth it's salt is complete without fact checkers. :-)

Old 04-26-2015, 05:39 PM
Oh, and no spacers

Old 04-26-2015, 08:09 PM
cab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud of
Oh boy.... I hope this does not start to another torque fight.

I do 96ft#.

Let's see if the other "100+ ft#" guys chime in. ����

Old 04-26-2015, 08:33 PM
Banned
semicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond repute
Your owner's manual says 96 ft-lbs (130 Nm). There is reference in a service bulletin to a higher value on newer cars (108 ft-lbs?), and to use that higher number retroactively on the earlier models. I use the original number in the owners manual.

And buy a torque wrench. There are plenty of good ones sub $40.

Old 04-26-2015, 11:22 PM
nwGTS has a reputation beyond reputenwGTS has a reputation beyond reputenwGTS has a reputation beyond reputenwGTS has a reputation beyond reputenwGTS has a reputation beyond reputenwGTS has a reputation beyond reputenwGTS has a reputation beyond reputenwGTS has a reputation beyond reputenwGTS has a reputation beyond reputenwGTS has a reputation beyond reputenwGTS has a reputation beyond repute
How tight do you guys tighten the wheel nuts? I never use a torque wrench to measure but simply go as tight as my arms can go

Old 04-27-2015, 04:07 AM
Blue Chip is on a distinguished road
23" Sears Craftsman torque wrench at 96#. It seems like every other week my car is going through some kind of "tech" inspection at the local PCA club - so its checked regularly. Get the wrench from Sears - its $40.

Old 04-27-2015, 05:18 AM
Originally Posted by cab83_750
Oh boy.... I hope this does not start to another torque fight.

I do 96ft#.

Let's see if the other "100+ ft#" guys chime in. ����
Only fight in this thread would be whether to use a torque wrench or not - OP says he never uses a torque wrench - maybe now he will. As far as specs, I'd say use what your owner's manual states.

Last edited by jhbrennan; 04-27-2015 at 06:02 AM.
Old 04-27-2015, 07:41 AM
I have a torque wrench actually. I'll start using it. Please no torque wrench fight. Did not realize this was a sore point.

Old 04-27-2015, 12:28 PM
cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !
What type of wrench did you tighten with? If it was a longer breaker bar type and you tightened as much as you could then I doubt the lugs fell off.
I usually use the torque wrench but not always. Never had a problem either way and I don t think a few pounds either way is an issue. After all I doubt those wrenches are that precise. On 100 ft lbs they are about + or- 3 lbs or so. ?? It will tell you in the directions exactly how close the one you buy is. And that s providing you store is right and don t drop it, LOL.
If I had to guess what happened to you I think I d go with the last guy who had the wheels off only put two nuts back on and got distracted.
Hope you solve it for peace of mind.

Last edited by cerbomark; 04-27-2015 at 12:32 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2 nuts, that's all you need