997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.
View Poll Results: Planning To Buy Another Porsche After Your Current One?
Yes
85.48%
No
6.45%
Maybe
8.06%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Are You Planning To Buy Another Porsche After Your Current One?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-07-2015, 03:09 AM
REKX is on a distinguished road
Are You Planning To Buy Another Porsche After Your Current One?

Currently I'm Porsche shopping.

Don't worry its not as adventurous as it sounds as I am looking for a base Carrera, 3.6 gen 1 - incidentally which my friends regard as not a proper Porsche and a Boxster.

Currently I drive a BMW. I've found BMW to be very enjoyable, rear wheel drive + German is something I hope to be sticking to for a long time, perhaps for as long as I live. I've found that BMW combines every day practicality, performance and German engineering/reliability pretty well. So I'm pretty certain my intentions would be to go back to BMW further down the line, I have been very impressed.

For example an M3 I know would out run the 997 I'm looking at, but my Porsche purchasing is not fueled by speed alone, I want to get my teeth into this 'legendary' rear engine rear wheel setup, honestly I can't wait.

So I'm also thinking about the car after that, if the gen 1 base Carrera impresses me, I might decide to go for a more adventurous engine'd 991 option.

Also I am a student at the moment, no kids, literally I might be driving with a girlfriend (on and off always), or with friends so I'm not really worried about the practicality. But it is on the back of my mind I might need a second practical car if I want to keep buying 911s.

What about you guys, are you happy with your current Porsche so much that you will definitely buy another one or will you be moving onto something different?

Old 05-07-2015, 04:53 AM
FlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of light
This is my 4th 911 and honestly I will never drive anything else. If that means driving this one until I can no longer drive, then so be it. I took a break, financial reasons, but as soon as I could get another one I did. If I am fortunate enough to be in the position to get another 911 I would really like to go back to a 993, I just love the air-cooled cars!

Old 05-07-2015, 06:57 AM
Count Zero is on a distinguished road
Sure! Health and bank account permit, i'd be driving it till the day that i die.

Old 05-07-2015, 09:27 AM
PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !
Put me down as a "maybe".

IF (big IF, I know) I can find a 997.2 GT3 in good condition with a acceptable list of options when it comes time to trade my 2009 Carrera S I would take the leap. Not a fan of the 991 and the loss of the manual transmission in the new GT3. I know, the PDK is practically flawless and better on the track, but I am a bitter hanger-on.

Old 05-07-2015, 12:10 PM
Gotgolf52 is a splendid one to beholdGotgolf52 is a splendid one to beholdGotgolf52 is a splendid one to beholdGotgolf52 is a splendid one to beholdGotgolf52 is a splendid one to beholdGotgolf52 is a splendid one to beholdGotgolf52 is a splendid one to behold
I've had several BMW 335i, M3, M6 for several years but nothing drive like a Porsche. I would add more Porsche into my car collection if wife permit but would never go back to BMW.

Old 05-07-2015, 01:41 PM
Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !
Brought my first Porsche (997) over four years ago, loved it so much, brought another one (981 Boxster S) last year. There will be plenty of Porsches in the future. I like to own an air cooled one (964) but not willing to spend that type of money to get an older car. I don't mind the 991.

Old 05-07-2015, 05:47 PM
dalancroft is on a distinguished road
With manuals increasingly going the way of the dinosaur, a qualified "Yes" assuming Porsche is still making them. My wife's car is a DD but she only plans to work for another five years. At that point, I would target a garage-queen, lo-miles 2012MY 997.2S. Reason: Not a big fan of 991s, and the 2012MY came with a 7-speed transmission and (a feature my wife wished were on her 2011 S Cab) a retractable windscreen. Figure if we could get one with, say, 25-30K miles, we'd only drive it perhaps 5K/year and probably keep it until they had to drag it off the road, after hosing it down to quench the fire, with a tow truck. ;-)

Old 05-07-2015, 06:18 PM
Dennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to behold
I'm currently driving third of three consecutive Porsches. I see no reason to change that trend!

Old 05-07-2015, 07:01 PM
EMC2 has much to be proud ofEMC2 has much to be proud ofEMC2 has much to be proud ofEMC2 has much to be proud ofEMC2 has much to be proud ofEMC2 has much to be proud ofEMC2 has much to be proud ofEMC2 has much to be proud ofEMC2 has much to be proud of
I used to be a massive BMW fan as you can tell from my sig
However after the E60 I felt they started to lose a bit of their "connected to the road" / "pure driving pleasure" feel.

My first drive in a Porsche was in the Panamera and I was blown away by the handling, performance and luxury in one package. I have not looked back since and I hope to see many more Porsche's in my future. As a real driver's car (with practicality and luxury added) you just can't go wrong.

Old 05-07-2015, 08:43 PM
Volnomad is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Dennis C
I'm currently driving third of three consecutive Porsches. I see no reason to change that trend!
I'm with Dennis. But after 3 911s in three years, it might be time to ease off on the P-car trading.

Old 05-07-2015, 11:05 PM
Miami4me has much to be proud ofMiami4me has much to be proud ofMiami4me has much to be proud ofMiami4me has much to be proud ofMiami4me has much to be proud ofMiami4me has much to be proud ofMiami4me has much to be proud ofMiami4me has much to be proud ofMiami4me has much to be proud of
With each of my last two Porsches, I regretted getting rid of them. The first, a 928, I traded for a corvette. Dumb move, but I was still in my 20s, almost 30 years ago. The vette lasted three months. I grew up, raised a family, and got more practical (bimmers and MBs), until the 996 came out. It was one of the few cars I'd leased, and I almost cried when I had to give her up three years later. I filled the void with an AMG 55CLK. That started my 10 year ragtop phase, that ended with a 650i. I realized I'd become too much of a GT cruiser, and less of a sports car guy. After taking a ride in a friend's 996, I was hooked, again. The other cars had all been great cars, but they lacked that Porsche je ne c'est qua.

I ended up with a 997.1 S with a manual tranny, and immediately got my groove back. Other than perhaps cost, there's just no reason for me to drive anything else. It's as practical as I need, especially since I'm the only one in it 98% of the time, and my enjoyment is my primary criterion. It's raw and visceral, yet is a dependable daily driver. I still look for excuses to run errands in it. I've spent the last year and a half tweaking it, making it just right for me. It's so purposeful, rumbly, fast, and, well, beautiful. My daughter counted 70 pics of it on my phone, and fewer than 20 of her. No other car makes you want to turn around and enjoy that last gaze as you walk away. It's exciting and seductive. It's an affair I hope will never end.

Yes, if I ever give this one up, my next car will be a Porsche.

Last edited by Miami4me; 05-22-2015 at 09:40 PM.
Old 05-08-2015, 09:22 AM
REKX is on a distinguished road
I'm scared after reading these comments.

I'm afraid of getting the Porsche bug of wanting to own more and more.

Aston Martin DB9 was an option for me, a very unlikely one but the maintenance and reliability of that car is really bad even though it looks stunning. And I don't think its an everyday car as much as a modern 911 is.

I'm not so sure about the looks yet, it is growing on me but I feel the 911 looks plain, and not as striking as the other Germans, or italian sports cars. Obviously its the driving and character that is putting me towards Porsche at the moment.

Old 05-08-2015, 09:31 AM
Dennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to behold
If you want a more exotic look, then buy a 997 turbo!

Old 05-08-2015, 04:28 PM
Basic Sponsor
PelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond repute
If you're wanting to read more on the vehicle you're searching for you can view our tech articles. It has a lot of content in regards to "common" fixes or just get information to understand them a great deal more. Good luck!

-Luccia

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 05-09-2015, 01:08 AM
Tarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond repute
in 2010 i bought my first 911 996 , in 2012 i sold it and 2 weeks later bought a 997...wrecked that 997 in 2013 and told myself ok now time to get something more practical, lol..ended up with benz c250, then i said ok i want something more beastly, ended up with an E39 M5, then an E63 M6 then a 650i all this within less than a year, then by july 2014 bought another 996, then later in september my current 997

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Are You Planning To Buy Another Porsche After Your Current One?