997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Someone Talk me into Keeping my 911

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-11-2015, 09:05 AM
CoreyC2S is just really niceCoreyC2S is just really niceCoreyC2S is just really niceCoreyC2S is just really niceCoreyC2S is just really nice
Originally Posted by phily911
Corey, cars that blend in? You have a 911S and an RS6... Those cars do not blend in bro! haha
The RS6 is a total sleeper, it looks like a regular A6 with slightly bigger fenders. The 911 doesn't exactly blend in, but it's silver and not red and/or obscenely loud like many of my previous sports cars.

Old 09-11-2015, 11:13 AM
warzilla is on a distinguished road
Keep the Porsche.

I live by you, but NJ. I'm close by Prestige Land Rover =)

I get the same ****ty snowy weather. My commute to work is less then 1 mile, so I don't get to drive a lot also. I also have a Range for the winters. I just store the 911 in the garage during the winters and drive the Range. Its like xmas in spring, as soon as the nice weather comes out, you will be jones-ing for the 911 to drive on your nice Westchester roads. The reality is - if you can afford to keep it, then just keep it. Enjoy it whenever you have time to drive it.

If you never did a driving event, go to one (Driver's ed or autocross). I've been doing HPDE, and enjoy that experience immensely. Or if you want, I'll meet you at bear's mountain and go for drive. I did it last weekend and had a blast.

Old 09-11-2015, 04:18 PM
FlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of light
Sold my 993 for seed money and regretted it. At that time, 2005, I was very spoiled having driven nothing but 911's since returning to the states in 1993. I always grimaced when passing one on the road and swore to get another one as soon as financially possible. I did and I swear, once again, I will never be without a 911 in my garage again!

Old 09-11-2015, 06:29 PM
hot nikon is on a distinguished road
Had a couple 911s, tried a couple of Caymans, very happy to be back in a C2S.

Porsches offer really great performance driving in a quality, relatively reliable vehicle.

From "I wash it at a drive through and this is the key" to Cup car mods and TT tuning, the 911 is a great platform.

Drive your car more.

Old 09-12-2015, 08:59 PM
carsnob is on a distinguished road
Consider a C4S cab. With 4 winter tires it is the best car in the snow (except for those rare Once/yr. 2' deep snow falls....
When I sold my '06 c4 s cab and got a Panny 4S , I really missed the cab and manual shift by the time the second year rolled around. Just had to then have both so I picked up a preowned C4S cab. No regrets.

Old 09-12-2015, 09:54 PM
carrera4slakem is on a distinguished road
Keep the 911. The new 2016 991.2 is said to have a 2.7 turbo 6 and the S models a 3.0 turbo 6. Combine that with a 7 speed manual and too many gears in the top position with Reverse you have yourself a wtf.

We have the opposite problem in Bellevue WA. The cops get no respect and have zero authority. Cars run rampant around here people do what they want. They don't have to worry about bpd doing anything.

Old 09-13-2015, 05:33 PM
ACRB is on a distinguished road
Strangely enough, I’ve had a similar feeling lately. Crawling around the potholed streets of L.A…. getting up to 15 mph on the freeway if you're lucky. Sometimes I think it’s just not the right car for the time and place. Also, my wife would rather go in any other car but the Porsche. Nestled in a big German sedan, might be the way to go in this city.

Old 09-14-2015, 09:19 AM
Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by MrPrice
My 911 is heavily modified (an understatement to those who know the car) and it sits for long periods of time (it is close to 10 years old and only has a bit over 16K miles on it), for a lot of reasons, but I would never consider selling it. I look at things this way, life is short and so I try and get as much joy out of it as possible, and my 911 in one of those joys. If you can look at it as I do, well then there is your reason to keep it.
Same here, mine is heavily modified with low miles. There is nothing out there in the $40's to give me that same joy. Selling mine would make whomever buys it the lucky one. I rather be the lucky one.

Old 09-14-2015, 10:03 AM
italdream is on a distinguished road
Update: both the Rover and the 911 are in the garage. I'll definitely follow the advice of so many people here and keep the 911. We'll see what the NY winter brings us this year...

Old 09-14-2015, 02:08 PM
CoreyC2S is just really niceCoreyC2S is just really niceCoreyC2S is just really niceCoreyC2S is just really niceCoreyC2S is just really nice
Originally Posted by ACRB
Strangely enough, I’ve had a similar feeling lately. Crawling around the potholed streets of L.A…. getting up to 15 mph on the freeway if you're lucky. Sometimes I think it’s just not the right car for the time and place. Also, my wife would rather go in any other car but the Porsche. Nestled in a big German sedan, might be the way to go in this city.
I know the feeling, although I bet LA traffic is, somehow, even worse than Boston traffic. At least I have a reverse commute so I can get it north of 75mph on occasion. Are you close to any of the famous canyons? That might be the way to enjoy the car best.

Old 09-18-2015, 03:02 AM
Revlis is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Bara
I went to the dark side and bought a ferrari and though i was thrilled at first and enjoying all the extra attention one gets driving around in a f-car, i soon began to miss my porsche. I 100% believe in porsche's slogan that 'there is no substitute'.

If ferrari can't wean someone off of a 911, nothing can. I never want a porshe free garage again.
OK, Total Porsche FNG, but thinking about picking up a 997.2 I have begun the research, and your post made me register here, so I can ask one question. Well OK a bunch of questions, but leading with...

Why?

What does a 911 do that is so noteworthy? I'm not needling, I'm being genuine. I read all the reviews, I see the posts, and clearly Porsche is not the best made car, it's not the most reliable, it's not the best performance value, and it's not the quickest or fastest. Don't get me wrong, I'm finally at a point where I can afford a reasonable pre-owned 911, my dream car since I was a kid...

So, what is it? Again genuinely asking... I've spent a day driving a 2008 Targa 4S, 6speed, Sport Chrono. It made great noises, handled well, drove well. But I feel like I am missing something. It was cool, but I'm curious about Porsche's rabid, die hard fans. I know there has to be something there, folks don't go all nutters for no reason.

I'm a long time BMW owner and I love to drive, and drive hard. I rely on "feel", acceleration is king, and corners are tempting and lovely things. The interstates suck, track days rule, and while I know PDK or DCT is MUCH MUCH better at EVERYTHING than I am, I hate it with a hot burning fire. SO, that's where I'm coming from.

I'm ready to love a Porsche, I already do really, but I don't know what I'm looking for, what I'm getting into.

Is Porsche for someone who drives hard? Someone who occasionally just un-asses loads up the car and drives from Seattle to Dallas and Back?

I appreciate responses, I'm not fishing for a fight, I'm not trying to step on toes, I'm being genuine.

Thank you.

Old 09-18-2015, 03:28 AM
MrPrice has much to be proud ofMrPrice has much to be proud ofMrPrice has much to be proud ofMrPrice has much to be proud ofMrPrice has much to be proud ofMrPrice has much to be proud ofMrPrice has much to be proud ofMrPrice has much to be proud of
Since 2003 I have owned 4 Ferrari's 3 Maserati's and 1 Lamborghini, (my 997 shared garage space with many of them), all are gone now, but the 997 is not going anywhere. In next 60 days it will go into the garage (along with my RWD 650 coupe) for the winter and it will be Jeep, Panamera, and Abarth time, but today in PA it is 85 and sunny so top down it is.

Old 09-18-2015, 09:17 AM
Originally Posted by Revlis
What does a 911 do that is so noteworthy? I'm not needling, I'm being genuine. I read all the reviews, I see the posts, and clearly Porsche is not the best made car, it's not the most reliable, it's not the best performance value, and it's not the quickest or fastest. Don't get me wrong, I'm finally at a point where I can afford a reasonable pre-owned 911, my dream car since I was a kid...
You need more time in one, I think. I didn't really "get it" the first time I drove a 911 back in 2012 (2009 C2 6MT coupe). It really is a car that you can drive every day, either comfortably in isolation with the a/c blasting and music turned up, or radio off, windows down, punching third gear and winding it up to screaming redline.

Before I traded my BRZ in for one, I spoke to someone who owned an '09 C2. He told me I'd be better off with the BRZ; the 911 wasn't fun to drive on the street because he felt it was too capable... I disagree! I have plenty of fun within reasonable limits with this car, and even more fun when I get to the track or autocross course. Sure I can't kick the *** end out at low speed like I could in the BRZ, but it is so much more pleasant, more stable, more complete.

The steering feel is insanely good. All the weight in the back makes the steering so light and communicative. The clutch action is just right, the shifter is good, although slightly artificial thanks to the cables and plastic gearlever. Grip is absolutely insane, and these cars don't just snap oversteer and try to kill you; there's fair warning that allows you to correct. Braking is phenomenal. The flat six wail is intoxicating; it's a whole 'nuther animal over 4,000 revs. It goes from being relatively docile to a screamer once the cams switch over.

All in all, fantastic machine. Doesn't quite tickle the senses like certain Italian and British cars, but so much more capable than anything else. And it won't depreciate like a laptop; all good things! You need more time in one; I've put 8,000mi on mine in the past 5 months. I can't stop driving it!!

Last edited by CoreyC2S; 09-18-2015 at 09:21 AM.
Old 09-18-2015, 09:54 AM
markj is a jewel in the roughmarkj is a jewel in the roughmarkj is a jewel in the roughmarkj is a jewel in the rough
Keep the porsche !

my 2011 C4S is as much fun to drive as my prior Lotus esprits.
The Porsche is faster, the lotus handled turns better, but the shifting on the lotus was much much more labor intensive and would cost time on the track.

besides, the Porsche can be considered a supercar with a backseat for my kids!

Old 09-18-2015, 11:54 AM
Berosucci will become famous soon enoughBerosucci will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Revlis
OK, Total Porsche FNG, but thinking about picking up a 997.2 I have begun the research, and your post made me register here, so I can ask one question. Well OK a bunch of questions, but leading with...

Why?
Originally Posted by CoreyC2S
You need more time in one, I think. I didn't really "get it" the first time I drove a 911 back in 2012 (2009 C2 6MT coupe). It really is a car that you can drive every day, either comfortably in isolation with the a/c blasting and music turned up, or radio off, windows down, punching third gear and winding it up to screaming redline.
First of all to the OP - If you are fretting over getting rid of the car, that seems to indicate you really want to keep it - so keep it.

Regarding the conversation about why a Porsche? I can relate to the "get it" comment. First time I drove a 911 2004 (C4S) I wasn't too impressed, but noticed the handling seemed pretty good. After driving a few more (model years 2007 through 2013) during the year or so up until I bought mine, I started to get a better feel for the car and the variations in the 911 models (997.1, 997.2, 991, base, S, 4S, etc.). Then after buying my '09 C4S, every time I drove it, it reeled me in a bit further. And one day after the 45 minute drive home from work and having bit of fun, I found my self saying "I get it now" to myself as I was getting out of the car. I have only had it for about four months and still feel like I am getting to know the car since I do not drive very far most days (a few miles). I can't stomach the idea of tracking it yet, but given a recent venture into the triple digit MPH zone was quite intoxicating (smooth and solid as a rock) I am considering this more seriously. After all, I only reached a bit more than 60% of the car's capacity for speed and basically have never approached any type of capacity regarding the handling of the car, I just keep thinking what else does she have in store for me? Lastly, given this is a dream car from your childhood, why not fulfill that dream - you can always sell it if you feel disappointed. Perhaps a turbo or GTS would better suit you. Drive 'em all and the right one will find you eventually.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Someone Talk me into Keeping my 911