997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Someone Talk me into Keeping my 911

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-18-2015, 01:56 PM
Revlis is on a distinguished road
Good Point was brought up.

OP, Sorry for the Hijacking. Didn't even occur to me last night.

Old 09-18-2015, 02:05 PM
Originally Posted by CoreyC2S
You need more time in one, I think. I didn't really "get it" the first time I drove a 911 back in 2012 (2009 C2 6MT coupe). It really is a car that you can drive every day, either comfortably in isolation with the a/c blasting and music turned up, or radio off, windows down, punching third gear and winding it up to screaming redline.

Before I traded my BRZ in for one, I spoke to someone who owned an '09 C2. He told me I'd be better off with the BRZ; the 911 wasn't fun to drive on the street because he felt it was too capable...
Yeah I agree, the Targa 4S I was driving was a trade in at my friends dealership. So while it's not his POV, it is his property so I treated it with kid gloves cause he's a friend.

As for the "too capable for the street", I dealt with this for years of Suzuki Hayabusa ownership. A Bike that was/is epic, but so SO much overkill on public streets that it sometimes felt like abuse puttering to work. But I made a mistake and sold it to pick up a more mortal bike, and while The MotoGuzzi is fun, I miss the hand of god at my back.

Thank you for the input, I love the BRZ BTW, I'm hoping that it does well and encourages FINALLY more RWD affordable sporty cars.

SO yeah, need to drive another Porsche. Thank you.

Old 09-18-2015, 02:26 PM
Originally Posted by Berosucci
First of all to the OP - If you are fretting over getting rid of the car, that seems to indicate you really want to keep it - so keep it.

Regarding the conversation about why a Porsche? I can relate to the "get it" comment. First time I drove a 911 2004 (C4S) I wasn't too impressed, but noticed the handling seemed pretty good. After driving a few more (model years 2007 through 2013) during the year or so up until I bought mine, I started to get a better feel for the car and the variations in the 911 models (997.1, 997.2, 991, base, S, 4S, etc.). Then after buying my '09 C4S, every time I drove it, it reeled me in a bit further. And one day after the 45 minute drive home from work and having bit of fun, I found my self saying "I get it now" to myself as I was getting out of the car. I have only had it for about four months and still feel like I am getting to know the car since I do not drive very far most days (a few miles). I can't stomach the idea of tracking it yet, but given a recent venture into the triple digit MPH zone was quite intoxicating (smooth and solid as a rock) I am considering this more seriously. After all, I only reached a bit more than 60% of the car's capacity for speed and basically have never approached any type of capacity regarding the handling of the car, I just keep thinking what else does she have in store for me? Lastly, given this is a dream car from your childhood, why not fulfill that dream - you can always sell it if you feel disappointed. Perhaps a turbo or GTS would better suit you. Drive 'em all and the right one will find you eventually.
Thanks for the encouraging words. I was beginning to fear that it was merely Fanboyism, kind of like so many of the BMW or Mercedes owners, Or Canon VS Nikon, PC VS Mac, etc...

So I will be scheduling another drive, I have found that the Porsche dealerships out here are not all the enthusiastic about selling me a $65k used car when their lot is full of new 911s. I find myself in the position of being unable to afford the 991 I want, but wanting to get into the Porsche I can afford regardless.

I know for a fact that the GTS would be my e-ticket, but I cannot find any in my price range, and of course the Turbo is even worse...better? In a few years I should be a position to pick up a newer 991 C4S.

My Dad had a 1982 911 and that was the first car I remember being excited about as a kid so yeah, since then It's been in the back of my mind. Well that and a Corvette... Not really the same kind of animals.

Thanks for the input.

Old 09-18-2015, 09:33 PM
Jcsomerv is on a distinguished road
Someone Talk me into Keeping my 911

Originally Posted by CoreyC2S
You need more time in one, I think. I didn't really "get it" the first time I drove a 911 back in 2012 (2009 C2 6MT)

The steering feel is insanely good. All the weight in the back makes the steering so light and communicative. The clutch action is just right, the shifter is good, although slightly artificial thanks to the cables and plastic gearlever. Grip is absolutely insane, and these cars don't just snap oversteer and try to kill you; there's fair warning that allows you to correct. Braking is phenomenal. The flat six wail is intoxicating; it's a whole 'nuther animal over 4,000 revs. It goes from being relatively docile to a screamer once the cams switch over.
Agree. And add... Instant response to all inputs, Visibility is phenomenal, controls fall to hand, seating position perfect, beautiful to look at (those hips!), different than anything else on the road, very reliable, easy and reasonable $ maintenance, hundreds of upgrades available, very strong user community, etc.

Had my 2009 C2 MT for over 2 years. Drove and hour home from a friends place tonight and honestly fell in love with it again. Happens every time I drive it. Hard to explain. Just so capable and enjoyable. Keep you 997 man.

Last edited by Jcsomerv; 09-18-2015 at 09:36 PM.