997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

GT3 Brake Conversions..The Facts. 997.1 S and Non S

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-24-2015, 02:27 AM
werkzrs is on a distinguished road
Exclamation GT3 Brake Conversions..The Facts. 997.1 S and Non S

Hey Guys I haven't been on the forum too long but i usually utilize the forums for technical info on how to upgrade components from lower end models to the higher end counterparts....some may ask why not just buy the higher end models and not worry, but i think most of us gearheads like changing sh*t around, get the "kudos" for upgrades thought to be impossible, and just another excuse to really know our cars. Im relentless when it comes to things like this....search search and search...

I thank and give lots of credit to Tom @ TPC racing for alot of the info and Racingbrake for illustrations and specs making these conversions easier to understand.

If any information i provide is or may be inaccurate, PLEASE feel free to correct me. From extensive research i did, i gathered what makes it easy to use correct parts to make it happen. I'm in no way taking credit form any of the sources i got information from.

So this thread really began out of not really looking to upgrade to a GT3 brake setup, when i bought my car it had already kinda been attempted to be done. As i found out, I can safely assume why it was not completed......it's because there really isn't a clear thread that can be found on how to get this conversion done without so much confusion.... The information is scattered, so searching just "GT3 Brake conversion" isn't enough and becomes a cluster F**K.

NOTE: you can use either PCCM or Non-PCCM Calipers. Rotors are to your choosing but Iron is much more cost effective.

Specs on mounting spacing measurments of calipers both front and rear:
Front:
225mm - 997.2+ (including 991 GT3)
142mm - 997.1 Turbo and "S" models
130mm - Standard (or base) 997 (05-11) and 996 (99-04) ; Boxster etc.

Rear:
130mm for all 911 (99+)

So lets begin.....

Guys with 997.1 S models (like myself) have two options to go with:
Option1: 996/997.1 GT3 350mm Set up
Option2: 997.2/991 GT3 380mm Set up.
Your OEM spindle has a 142mm mount spacing. Direct bolt ons would be 996 GT3 or 997.1 GT3 calipers. as the utilize that spacing. 997.2GT3 won't work because they have a 225mm mount spacing. Below are images to illustrate this.

as you can see mounting holes differ. Red caliper is from a 996/997.1 GT3 and Yellow is from a 997.2 GT3.

So in order to bolt that red caliper to your 997s, you would need to utilize 997 TURBO rotors due to the offset. It as easy as that. Id recommend changing out caliper bolts as well.

Parts list you need to make this happen:

- 997.351.405.01.KT Front Pair Kit of 350mm Turbo rotors
- 996.351.431.90 Red Front Left Caliper 04-08 GT3
- 996.351.432.90 Red Front Right Caliper 04-08 GT3

Now if you wanted to go with a 997.2 caliper and utilize 380mm rotor this would be a little more expensive option only because the rotor would have to be purchased through a aftermarket supplier i.e. Stoptech, Girodisc, Racingbrake, etc. plus you would need special adapters which Racingbrake.com makes. They actually have a kit i believe that allows you to make it direct bolt on. here is that adapter.

the nice option with this adapter is your can utilize the 991 GT3 newer caliper as well. (i don't have part numbers on those)

Parts list for this application:

- 997.351.431.94 Red Front Left Caliper 10-11 997.2 GT3
- 997.351.432.94 Red Left front Caliper 10-11 997.2 GT3
- RB Kit# 2338 142mm to 225mm Adapter from RB
- Rotors can be a few different options. But must be 380mm RB can provide several options call them to explore those options...714-871-6392

If you have a 997 base model:
you can only do a 997.2/991 225mm caliper conversion with 380mm rotors as a direct bolt on without changing uprights. the only way you can do a 350mm GT3 conversion is changing your spindle to a S model or direct GT3 spindle which will cost you a left nut!

Parts list for base 997:

- caliper numbers same as above 997.2
- RB Kit# 2401 130mm to 225mm adapter from RB
- rotors available through racingbrakes.

below is an image provided by racingbrake for 130 to 225mm conversion

As for the rears all will be the same through out all models 99+. 130mm space mounting GT3 calipers will mount right up, the only thing that will have to change 997.1 350mm rotors.

parts list for rears:
- 997.352.425.97 Red Rear Left Caliper 997.1 GT3
- 997.352.426.99 Red Rear Right Caliper 997.1 GT3
- 997.352.405.02.KT Rear Pair GT3 350mm Rotors

I really hope this helps those who have a 997.1 S and base model and doing this conversion.

Last edited by werkzrs; 09-24-2015 at 02:55 AM.
Old 09-24-2015, 07:09 AM
Banned
semicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond repute
Very nice write up. I did a similar upgrade, going from 997.1 C2S 4 piston calipers to 997.1 TT 6 piston calipers. They bolt right up with 142mm spacings like you say. The note for this case reads a little weird though. Perhaps something like this?

142mm - 997.1 Turbo and 997.1 non-turbo "S" models

Old 09-24-2015, 07:44 PM
swartzzz is on a distinguished road
997.2 Carrera S

Hello, So I currently have a 2010 Carrera S. Is there a solution to go from the 330MM fronts to the GT3 350mm? Also, the 2 piston to 3 piston caliper?

Thanks!

Old 10-01-2015, 08:02 PM
malahhaor is a splendid one to beholdmalahhaor is a splendid one to beholdmalahhaor is a splendid one to beholdmalahhaor is a splendid one to beholdmalahhaor is a splendid one to beholdmalahhaor is a splendid one to beholdmalahhaor is a splendid one to behold
Thank you so much for the info. This is most helpful.
So if i could sum it up to make sure i got it right...

If i want to upgrade to GT3 brakes my only option on 997.1 Carrera 4 is to get a bracket from 130 to 225, the 997.2 GT3 Calipers and 380mm Rotors?

What if if i want to go to Carrera S brakes on my standard Carrera?
Can I get a bracket to change mounting from 130mm to 142mm and then use 997.1 Carrera S or 997.1TT(6 piston) calipers and Carrera S rotors for the front and direct bolt on of Carrera S calipers and Rotors in the back?

Thanks

Old 10-02-2015, 02:18 PM
@malahhoar Yes that would possibly be the most cost effective way to go 380mm+997.2 GT3 calipers+130 to 225 adapters.

If you wanted to go the other route youd need to source the C2S carriers. Then decide wether to go S brake set up or spend a little more and do the 997.1 Caliper and 350mm Turbo rotor setup.

You can contact racingbrake to see if they can provide you with an adapter 130 to 142mm to avoid buying the S carrier.

hope that helps.

Old 10-02-2015, 02:21 PM
@swarts you already have an S so all you need to source is 997.1 GT3 Calipers and Turbo rotors.

Old 10-08-2015, 04:59 PM
Bara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by werkzrs
@swarts you already have an S so all you need to source is 997.1 GT3 Calipers and Turbo rotors.
according to your info, swarts cant go to a 997.1 gt3 as he has a 997.2 S.

no?

Old 10-08-2015, 05:58 PM
997.2s carriers are the same as 997.1s so it would be the same scenario

Old 10-10-2015, 12:07 AM
Bara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant future
http://suncoastparts.com/product/6Piston.html

QUOTE=werkzrs;4411551]997.2s carriers are the same as 997.1s so it would be the same scenario[/QUOTE]

Suncoast porsche says the 350mm turbo rotors and .1 gt3 calipers kits only fit cars up to 2008. I know my 997.2S calipers are bigger than my 997.1S

And you state that the .1S is a 142mm while the .2S is 225mm spacing

Old 10-14-2015, 06:52 PM
Karl B will become famous soon enough
What about the master cylinder, does it have to be upgraded to a GT3, considering that the front goes to 6 pistons?

Old 10-14-2015, 08:50 PM
Banned
semicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Karl B
What about the master cylinder, does it have to be upgraded to a GT3, considering that the front goes to 6 pistons?
Good question. Keep in mind braking is a function of applied force at a certain radius from the center of the wheel. Rotor diameter increases affects force the most. Force changes from piston diameter differences are just as important as number of pistons too. Just because there are six pistons does not mean the force is 50% higher than a four piston system. If the pistons are smaller the force increase is less than 50%. Six pistons also help reduce brake fade as there is more area to dissipate heat.

I read a brake thread a while back either here or on rennlist that one of the Brembo engineers was responding to. If I remember correctly he was adamant on balancing the system properly. No-no's were increasing the diameter of the front rotors only (do the backs at the same time to keep the F/R ratio the same). Or significantly changing caliper piston diameters on one axle only. Or using substantially different brake pad compounds front to rear. The MC issue was about keeping the front to rear biasing correct, knowing that the MC was designed to match the calipers and overall mass of the original car. Not sure how significant this was compared to the other items though.

I did not upgrade my master cylinder when I upgraded to TT calipers in the front and rear. I do not see or feel any biasing difference. The car brakes straight, no pulling side to side, and brakes without any noticeable change in nose dive than before the upgrade. But I do not track my car to the edge of its capabilities to be able to notice biasing differences. I'm just not that skilled of a driver yet.

Old 02-24-2016, 03:55 PM
Former Vendor
RacingBrake is on a distinguished road
RacingBrake is honored that our illustration and dwgs be referenced for discussion here.

We welcome suggestion and constructive critics, so together we make Porsche brakes work harder and better.

Share with you is a reply we just posted on rennlist in response to a vicious critics in this forum which deserves clarification so this kind of discredited act be rejected by the community.

http://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum...l#post13048220

Thank you.

Warren-RB

Old 06-19-2016, 03:53 PM
gas.safe.engineer is on a distinguished road
wow!!!
just found this about racing brake, some truly shocking information and links.
I certainly will not be using them.
Link
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...e-discs-4.html

AND............QUOTE..........BEST BIT!!!.........post#50 page 4
'It's obvious Racing Brake can't get over the fact that I've pointed out the deficiencies of their 380 upsize kit and has to constantly keep bringing it up and taking shots at me with their "expert" references. It truly doesn't take an "expert" to understand the shortcomings of this particular set up. For anyone wishing to consider the 380 upsize kit using the 350 calipers with the angled spacer, please do yourself a favor and contact reputable brake suppliers like Girodisc, Essex (AP racing), or Brembo to get their professional opinion on the suitability and safety of this particular set up. I do business with these companies all of whom are unequivocally "the experts" in the field of brakes. Don't take my word for it, I only stayed at a Holiday Inn last night.

Gents, take a second to read this thread (particularly post #13) and make up your own mind. Here you have Racing Brake knocking the technical prowess and design of AP racing brake rotors. It's laughable...

http://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-a...g-j-hooks.html

As you say Warren, it's comforting to know the owner of Racing Brake has "a degree Mechanical Engineer specialized in Thermodynamics and Metallurgy". I guess the link below must point to another example of superior RB technology prowess. It's lucky the guy didn't total his car or kill himself as a result of his Racing Brake upgrade failure :

http://ls1tech.com/forums/cadillac-c...ure-track.html

Here is another post (post #10) from a former PFC employee. PFC is the brake supplier for Porsche Motorsport.

http://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/...g-j-hooks.html

Btw, what elite level Motorsport segments or racing series do you supply your brakes for Warren? I would love to hear the answer to that one. And no, I'm not talking about a guy that DEs his corvette Z06 or GTR.

Here is another Racing brake rotor failure data point:

http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...e-track-NORMAL

And another... this one is laughable

Old 06-21-2016, 09:01 AM
997.1CarreraBlk is an unknown quantity at this point
I have a base 997.1 and I want to upgrade the brakes to Carrera S spec. If I'm reading this correctly, I would need the RB 130mm to 142mm adapter for the front, S calipers and rotors, then for the rear I would only need the calipers and rotors in order to get my base car to have the identical brakes as an S model, right?

Is there another way to do this without using the RB adapter? I'd like to keep it OEM if possible (for calipers and mounting).

Old 06-21-2016, 03:41 PM
gas.safe.engineer is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by 997.1CarreraBlk
I have a base 997.1 and I want to upgrade the brakes to Carrera S spec. If I'm reading this correctly, I would need the RB 130mm to 142mm adapter for the front, S calipers and rotors, then for the rear I would only need the calipers and rotors in order to get my base car to have the identical brakes as an S model, right?

Is there another way to do this without using the RB adapter? I'd like to keep it OEM if possible (for calipers and mounting).
You really considering race brake after reading the links i posted?
you must be a mega Adrenalin junkie

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: GT3 Brake Conversions..The Facts. 997.1 S and Non S