997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

997 driver side down window glass does not lower when the door shuts

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-20-2015, 10:18 PM
Gusto88 is on a distinguished road
997 driver side down window glass does not lower when the door shuts

I can operate the window fine, however, when I go to shut the door, the glass does not lower (1") to fit snugly under the rubber seals of the door. The only remedy I currently use is to press the button to lower the window, then shut the door, then raise the glass (then it fits snugly). Let me know if anyone has any advice for fixing this. thank you

Old 11-20-2015, 10:31 PM
MkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud of
try the window reset first if that fixes the problem. If that doesn't work, I maybe wrong but it could be your door handle microswitch may go bad. Does the door panel light comes on when you open the door? With the microswitch malfunctioning, the computer doesn't recognize that your door has been or is open.

Attached Images  

Last edited by MkC2S; 11-21-2015 at 11:10 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-21-2015, 08:41 AM
Gusto88 is on a distinguished road
Door light panel does not come on when the door is open.

OTE=MkC2S;4431035]try the window reset first if that fixes the problem. If that doesn't work, I maybe wrong but it could be your door handle microwitch may go bad. Does the door panel light comes on when you open the door? With the microswitch malfunctioning, the computer doesn't recognize that your door has been or is open.[/QUOTE]

Old 11-21-2015, 05:18 PM
mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Gusto88
I can operate the window fine, however, when I go to shut the door, the glass does not lower (1") to fit snugly under the rubber seals of the door. The only remedy I currently use is to press the button to lower the window, then shut the door, then raise the glass (then it fits snugly). Let me know if anyone has any advice for fixing this. thank you
Door lock assembly microswitch. Had the problem from the outside only. Swapped the part (kind of a *****) and it's all good.

Old 11-21-2015, 05:50 PM
Jance is on a distinguished road
I just fought this battle last weekend. There are several switches involved- one to detect if the external door handle is raised (someone posted a picture of this in this thread), and one attached at the bottom of the door latch assembly to detect if the door is open.

I'm not a tech, but based on the normal operation assumption that:
1) When door is closed, the window drops to break seal when the external handle is pulled.
2) When the door is open, the window drop stays down, no matter if the external handle is pulled or not.

If the window does not drop to break seal when you pull on the external door handle, the external door handle switch is stuck closed.

If the window drops to break seal when you pull on the door handle, but raises again when the door is open and you release the handle, then the latch switch is stuck closed.

In my case, it was the door latch- The window would re-raise while the door was open. I could lightly bang the door near the latch area to free that switch temporarily and the window would then drop. After replacing my latch, I saw a lot of gunk holding the microswitch down. Unfortunately, the microswitch cannot be easily cleaned without loosening or removing the latch assy.

There are other evidence of states such as door\interior light states, ability to lock the car, etc. that you can use for troubleshooting. i.e. if the door latch microswitch is stuck open (i.e. thinks the door is open), then you will get an error when you try to lock the car, or the window seal does not engage when you shut the door.
Good luck!

Last edited by Jance; 11-21-2015 at 05:54 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 11-23-2015, 10:38 AM
spiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud of