How to fix Porsche turbo 991 spoiler failure ( adjust speed ) error

Old 11-16-2015, 08:27 AM
Dashti991 is just really niceDashti991 is just really niceDashti991 is just really niceDashti991 is just really nice
How to fix Porsche turbo 991 spoiler failure ( adjust speed ) error

First of all , this problem is from air leak in front spoiler system, sometimes it is not , if you found front spoiler message on fault memory then do the following steps,
This thing is all about 30 minutes to fix and be happy.

1-under the front bumper there is two hoses ( black and grey ) black for long tube and grey for short one in corners those tubes when filled of air the spoiler will open and when air released it will close , using pressure tools try to connect each pipe one by one and fill with pressure to reach 1 bar , if there was drop in pressure then change the front spoiler or try to fix it if you found the leak point

2-if there was not leak then use the same hoses but backwards ( the two hoses connected to the air pump , one by one )
, same pressure 1 bar , if pressure dropped then you should open the black box under the hood ( under the carpet right driver side )
Disconnect and open it.

3-find the electronic check valve ( test again and you will find a leak there, this part is cheap but porsche does not sell it as a single part , you should buy all air bump system ( black box )
Arround 1000 $

4-you can re-seal this part and use it again.

5-reset fault memory and feel happy.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image5.JPG
Views:	467
Size:	323.7 KB
ID:	432841   Click image for larger version

Name:	image4-2.JPG
Views:	430
Size:	389.5 KB
ID:	432842   Click image for larger version

Name:	image1.JPG
Views:	403
Size:	360.4 KB
ID:	432843   Click image for larger version

Name:	image2-2.JPG
Views:	398
Size:	323.4 KB
ID:	432844   Click image for larger version

Name:	image3-2.JPG
Views:	356
Size:	350.9 KB
ID:	432845  

Old 04-20-2020, 02:22 PM
wsarens is an unknown quantity at this point
hi,

I believe I have a similar issue with my 991.2 turbo, but before starting the more extensive tests, I'd liek to see whetehr there is a memory fault remaining.
Could you tell me which tools you used to read and reset the memory?
So far I only used a standard odb2 ecu reader, but there are no fault codes visible, so planning on buying one that I can use in future as well.

regards

Old 04-20-2020, 02:36 PM
Dashti991 is just really niceDashti991 is just really niceDashti991 is just really niceDashti991 is just really nice
Thanks for asking

Originally Posted by wsarens
I believe I have a similar issue with my 991.2 turbo, but before starting the more extensive tests, I'd liek to see whetehr there is a memory fault remaining.
Could you tell me which tools you used to read and reset the memory?
So far I only used a standard odb2 ecu reader, but there are no fault codes visible, so planning on buying one that I can use in future as well.

regards
hi, you can use cobb accessport to clear codes , if you don’t have it then find garage that has piwis computer to check and reset codes , or you can search for reset tools from amazon.
​​​​​​​thanks and hope to fix your car easy.

Old 04-24-2020, 01:34 PM
wsarens is an unknown quantity at this point
well thx, i got it fixed, and your post helped with it.
- I tested the airtubes, both airballoons worked OK
- I tested the tubes towards the pump, all worked OK
- I tried erasing error codes, but error kept coming back
- ultimately i disconnected the electrical cable connecting the airpump, and that must have reset it somehow
it works fine now.

Old 04-17-2021, 11:24 PM
Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !
This just happened to me tonight. Had the car in Sport Plus mode with aero deployed.
Was getting on the hwy. and all the sudden I get the "Spoiler Failure - Reduce Speed" code.
Now the Spoilers, Front and Rear will not deploy at speed or manually.

Any thoughts? I'm sure hoping it's just the electrical glitch like many seemed to have had.

Old 04-18-2021, 05:28 AM
Try to reset fault code

Originally Posted by Big Swole
This just happened to me tonight. Had the car in Sport Plus mode with aero deployed.
Was getting on the hwy. and all the sudden I get the "Spoiler Failure - Reduce Speed" code.

Any thoughts? I'm sure hoping it's just the electrical glitch like many seemed to have had.

some times if you hit something on the road you will get this code , also check fuse box maybe you should change one of them , i faced all those problems.

Old 04-18-2021, 02:42 PM
Nanook Is a GOD !Nanook Is a GOD !Nanook Is a GOD !Nanook Is a GOD !Nanook Is a GOD !Nanook Is a GOD !Nanook Is a GOD !Nanook Is a GOD !Nanook Is a GOD !Nanook Is a GOD !Nanook Is a GOD !

Quite common on these cars..usually goes away with a restart..

Old 04-24-2021, 10:52 PM
Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Dashti991
some times if you hit something on the road you will get this code , also check fuse box maybe you should change one of them , i faced all those problems.
Originally Posted by Nanook
Quite common on these cars..usually goes away with a restart..

Haven't checked fuses...Good thought.

Restart doesn't fix it. ONLY pulling the + cable off the battery does....
But just as Soon as I hit 78 mph again, it pops up the code and want let me deploy them manually again.

Prior to the code / msg. pooping up, I can deploy them manually PERFECTLY in Every mode and at speed up to 77 mph.

This has to be a sensor / control module / electrical issue.

I had an INDY use the PIWIS and pull codes...Clear them and they come right back immediately with the car just idling.

Old 10-19-2023, 07:48 PM
084runnerltd is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by wsarens
well thx, i got it fixed, and your post helped with it.
- I tested the airtubes, both airballoons worked OK
- I tested the tubes towards the pump, all worked OK
- I tried erasing error codes, but error kept coming back
- ultimately i disconnected the electrical cable connecting the airpump, and that must have reset it somehow
it works fine now.
Do you mind sharing how you get access to the electrical cable and where it is?

My spoiler light keeps coming on at 78mph, but works fine when manually deployed…I have cleared the codes several times.

I have a ‘15 991.1 Turbo S

Old 10-19-2023, 07:49 PM
Haven't checked fuses...Good thought.

Restart doesn't fix it. ONLY pulling the + cable off the battery does....
But just as Soon as I hit 78 mph again, it pops up the code and want let me deploy them manually again.

Prior to the code / msg. pooping up, I can deploy them manually PERFECTLY in Every mode and at speed up to 77 mph.

This has to be a sensor / control module / electrical issue.

I had an INDY use the PIWIS and pull codes...Clear them and they come right back immediately with the car just idling.
Did you ever get this resolved? I have the exact same issue…

Old 10-20-2023, 09:28 PM
Adding to this thread as I have been searching across the interwebs trying to solve my spoiler problems.

I am gaining ground, but still in need of help. As stated previously, my spoilers work manually but once I hit 78mph, I get an error and the spoilers retract.

Tonight I discovered that the “outer spoiler” in the front is losing pressure. When I activate the front spoiler, I initially show around 10 psi for “outer spoiler pressure.”

I let the car sit and monitored the data….the psi of the outer spoiler kept dropping…

After about 5 minutes I was down to just 3psi, well the other pressures held steady.

Now I am trying to determine if the air is leaking at the spoiler, the hose, or the black box.

A few questions for the experts:

My hose setup looks different than the OPs, both are long, one grey and one black. They both go into a rubber fitting in the backside of the black box.

1). Do they just simply disconnect from the black box by pulling? If so, any ideas how? (I am scared to yank on them and risk break something else).

If I can get those off, I can determine where the drop in pressure is occurring…

2). Does anyone know what color hose is responsible for the “outer spoiler?”

That would save me some time and some testing.

3). I have yet to view anything from under the car. I just read that the car should not be put on jacks….geez, I will get some ramps. Sounds like I can access the end of the hose that plugs into the spoiler with the car on ramps and removing the underbody tray?

Any tricks to this or is it as easy as unscrewing some bolts and voila the hoses are there in plain sight?

4). I guess it depends on the leak, but if it is leaking from the spoiler, I assume full spoiler replacement is the only option?

5). Best case scenario, I guess would be a crack in a hose, however I would think I would be able to hear that leak and that the PSI would drop quicker…? (I guess best case scenario would be a pinched line or bad connection….)

6. Anything else I am missing?

Thanks in advance!

Old 04-08-2024, 07:33 AM
HNK
HNK is an unknown quantity at this point
Same issue on my 2014 model

Originally Posted by 084runnerltd
Do you mind sharing how you get access to the electrical cable and where it is?

My spoiler light keeps coming on at 78mph, but works fine when manually deployed…I have cleared the codes several times.

I have a ‘15 991.1 Turbo S
Hi, did you manage to fix it ??

Old 04-09-2024, 06:17 AM
LTCJMRamos has much to be proud ofLTCJMRamos has much to be proud ofLTCJMRamos has much to be proud ofLTCJMRamos has much to be proud ofLTCJMRamos has much to be proud ofLTCJMRamos has much to be proud ofLTCJMRamos has much to be proud ofLTCJMRamos has much to be proud ofLTCJMRamos has much to be proud ofLTCJMRamos has much to be proud of
Just FYI for those looking to read/reset/modify codes, the Durametric is minimally useful for 991s. It can read and reset, but cannot write new code as it can with 997s on down. Minimally useful for 991s. Over on RL 991 forum you'll find a long thread on using the Thinkdiag for all functions. Works great, and is much less expensive.

Last edited by LTCJMRamos; 04-09-2024 at 04:53 PM.