997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Does my car need a service after being parked for a year?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-25-2015, 05:29 PM
Destiny is on a distinguished road
Does my car need a service after being parked for a year?

I wasn't able to use my 997.1 for close to a year. I did however start the engine once in a while and drove it for only half a mile during that year.

I'll be driving it regularly again soon and my question is whether I should take it to the shop first to get checked, as a friend suggested. Could not driving it for a year have potentially caused something that needs checking?

All input is welcome of course.

Old 11-25-2015, 08:43 PM
Street Fighter is on a distinguished road
Cant hurt

Old 11-25-2015, 08:44 PM
FlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of light
I'd change the oil at least.

Old 11-25-2015, 09:39 PM
stevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of light
Probably - a bicycle does, so not a stretch to think a car would.

Old 11-26-2015, 01:05 AM
Originally Posted by stevepow
Probably - a bicycle does, so not a stretch to think a car would.
I've left bicycles untouched for years... when stored in a dry garage they only lost some tire pressure... so I don't get what you mean.

Old 11-26-2015, 01:06 AM
Originally Posted by FlaHeel
I'd change the oil at least.
That was something that friend also mentioned, now I remember... so guess I'll take it in for an oil change then.

thanks!

Old 11-26-2015, 01:37 AM
simoncpw is a jewel in the roughsimoncpw is a jewel in the roughsimoncpw is a jewel in the rough
If it was me, I'd check the condition of the tyres as well. Rubbers gets dry and harden over time, especially if in cold weather.

Old 11-26-2015, 01:44 AM
Originally Posted by simoncpw
If it was me, I'd check the condition of the tyres as well. Rubbers gets dry and harden over time, especially if in cold weather.
That's a good idea... I'll ask the shop to check them when they change the oil. I do live on an island though where even at night it never drops below 59ºF/15ºC or supersedes 86ºF/30ºC in summer... and the car was stored in my garage... so I'm hopeful they'll be fine.

Old 11-27-2015, 08:49 PM
Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !
Yeah, need to change the oil at least, it's once a year whether it's driven or not.

Old 11-28-2015, 06:27 AM
MrPrice has much to be proud ofMrPrice has much to be proud ofMrPrice has much to be proud ofMrPrice has much to be proud ofMrPrice has much to be proud ofMrPrice has much to be proud ofMrPrice has much to be proud ofMrPrice has much to be proud of
First of all how old is your car? My car sits for about 4 months a year and before every spring I change the oil check every seal, hose, and gasket, pretty much do a complete check of everything in the car. Lots of things can happen after a year and the older the parts are the more chance something could go wrong once you build compression. There are ways to store a car for that length of time, if I were you I'd use them next time.

Old 11-28-2015, 09:18 AM
Gpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud of
Repeatedly starting the motor for a few minutes and then shutting it off while in disuse is the worst thing you can do. You create condensation which sits and does all sort of bad things to various systems. The crapped up oil circulates throughout the motor degrades internals. You are also inflicting multiple dry starts on the motor. Plus seals dry out over time of disuse creating leaks so check under car after you run it. Next time prep car for storage (do search) and leave it. Better yet sell it until you have the time

Old 11-28-2015, 10:51 AM
adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !
Leaving these cars unused for long periods of time and then starting them idling or driving short miles is not good. It would be best to prepare the car for storage and then bring it back from storage with a full service and proper driving.

Old 11-28-2015, 11:27 AM
Fahrer is a name known to allFahrer is a name known to allFahrer is a name known to allFahrer is a name known to allFahrer is a name known to allFahrer is a name known to all
Change the oil, change the brake fluid if not done for two years and check the battery to see it it will hold a charge. Finally check for critter damage. They do move in sometimes.

Old 11-28-2015, 02:43 PM
Gpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud of
In case you are wondering you should make the time to start the car and drive it couple times a month give or take. Take it on road, up to operating temps and 20 or so minutes on beyond to avoid the problems mentioned above.