997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Door won't open from inside or outside!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-14-2015, 07:56 PM
stphnsns is on a distinguished road
Door won't open from inside or outside!

Hi, I have a 2006 997 C4S. It had the common floppy interior door handle issue, so I ordered a new door axle pivot mechanism. When it arrived, we determined it was the "updated" part, which requires an updated cable as well. Until we received the new style cable, we finagled a way to make them compatible with each other - or so I thought. To make a long story short, once I locked the car, the door will not open (after unlocking), from inside or out. Whether on the fob, or with the key in the door, you can attempt to unlock, and hear the lock mechanism functioning - and the window still drops the 1" or so, but no door open. Through all this, I've gotten fairly adept at removing the door panel, so I've done the best I can again, with the door closed, but of course the panel will not come all the way off. I can't seem to see or wiggle anything in there to make a difference. I just want to get the door open, so I can change the lock bowden cable, etc. Does anyone have any ideas how I can just open the door? Or will a locksmith be able to get it open for me? Thank you in advance, any input is GREATLY appreciated!!

Old 12-14-2015, 09:21 PM
Banned
semicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond repute
Any luck using the key in the lock by the exterior handle?

Old 12-15-2015, 04:44 AM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by semicycler
Any luck using the key in the lock by the exterior handle?
Based on his write-up, I think he tried that and it didn't work.

Old 12-15-2015, 06:08 AM
Thanks for the responses, yes, have tried (many times), with the key in the door. It actually (seems to) locks & unlocks, but the lever still won't activate the door opening. I'm stumped, and not sure if a locksmith can help me with one of these or not. Guess I'll call & find out! Thanks again.

Old 12-15-2015, 06:34 AM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by stphnsns
Thanks for the responses, yes, have tried (many times), with the key in the door. It actually (seems to) locks & unlocks, but the lever still won't activate the door opening. I'm stumped, and not sure if a locksmith can help me with one of these or not. Guess I'll call & find out! Thanks again.
Sounds like the key/lock combo works so I'm not sure a locksmith will help. Sounds more like inside the door panel...unfortunately looks like a dealer visit.

Old 12-15-2015, 06:49 AM
Thanks, I have (limited, since the door is closed) access to the door panel, if I knew what to do in there. Unfortunately, the closest dealer is a couple hours away. Thank you for the follow up.

Old 12-15-2015, 02:21 PM
HolmaN has a spectacular aura aboutHolmaN has a spectacular aura aboutHolmaN has a spectacular aura about
Have someone smash gently on repeat on the outside of the door where the lock i located with a closed hand while somoene else is pulling the handle on repeat. (Check the other door for exact location)

Old 12-15-2015, 08:23 PM
StormRune Is a GOD !StormRune Is a GOD !StormRune Is a GOD !StormRune Is a GOD !StormRune Is a GOD !StormRune Is a GOD !StormRune Is a GOD !StormRune Is a GOD !StormRune Is a GOD !StormRune Is a GOD !StormRune Is a GOD !
Although you might be hesitant to do open more door panels at this point, it might be worth opening the door panel on the working door to see how exactly the opening mechanism is supposed to work and what needs to be flipped or actuated to release the latch. Once you know that, you may be able to blindly (or with a mirror?) reach into a gap on the other panel with a coat hanger or some other device. It might take a lot of tries but maybe you could hook or push whatever it is and trip the latch on your stuck door. You could even experimentally try it on the open door to work out the technique.

Old 12-16-2015, 06:41 AM
Thanks for the comments and advice. We actually just solved it this morning, by releasing the little white plastic wing clip that connects the cable to the axle pivot mechanism. Once that was done, the tension was off, and the exterior door handle was able to function. I think the odd tension was holding the handle in a "locked" position. Now just waiting on the new cable to arrive, and should be home free. Thanks again for all the support.

Old 12-17-2015, 03:33 AM
HolmaN has a spectacular aura aboutHolmaN has a spectacular aura aboutHolmaN has a spectacular aura about
Glad it worked out for you!

Old 12-17-2015, 06:18 AM
Thank you! I appreciate the feedback here, and hope that this little thread saves someone some time and stress down the road!

Old 12-22-2015, 05:56 PM
captainbaker is on a distinguished road
FYI, the updated part will work with no modification. You just have to disassemble the part and take the lower (probably broken) half and chuck it in the bin or save it for the passenger side. Take the new lower portion and install it on the old upper half. The old upper half has the connecting portion where the cable routes into the hinge.

They fit perfectly together and will save time/money as you dont have to run a new cable.

Old 01-28-2022, 07:06 AM
NaijaBerry is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by stphnsns
Thanks for the comments and advice. We actually just solved it this morning, by releasing the little white plastic wing clip that connects the cable to the axle pivot mechanism. Once that was done, the tension was off, and the exterior door handle was able to function. I think the odd tension was holding the handle in a "locked" position. Now just waiting on the new cable to arrive, and should be home free. Thanks again for all the support.
Hi, I have the same problem with my 2006 C2, how did you access the wing clip if the door is closed? I'm very familiar with the internals of the door once I can get it open

Old 01-28-2022, 01:58 PM
Originally Posted by NaijaBerry
Hi, I have the same problem with my 2006 C2, how did you access the wing clip if the door is closed? I'm very familiar with the internals of the door once I can get it open
Gosh, it's been 5 or 6 years, so I'm afraid I don't specifically recall (& no longer have a 997), but I believe we were able to work within the top portion of the internals, by having the top half of the door panel unhooked/disconnected. I remember its just that white plastic wing clip that needs disconnected, and its right near the top of the door. Sorry I can't more clearly recall details, and good luck!

Old 01-28-2022, 02:01 PM
NaijaBerry is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by NaijaBerry
Thanks for getting back to me

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Door won't open from inside or outside!