997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Garage idea help!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-15-2016, 06:03 PM
911nitis will become famous soon enough
Garage idea help!

Finally building my garage and need your help with some great garage ideas. This is a small two car garage but the good news is that its being built, better said, redone. Very excited as I love working on my car and that car needs a home. Please post pictures of your garage, some great garage ideas. Lighting is a big concern, so any ideas.

Old 01-15-2016, 06:09 PM
gr8scott has a spectacular aura aboutgr8scott has a spectacular aura about
Make sure you choose a good floor coating. I started with a crappy epoxy coating which started to peel, then I decided to put in a vinyl plank floor which started to lift. Finally I think I got it right!!

Old 01-15-2016, 07:34 PM
lowbee is on a distinguished road
Make sure you have enough head room for a Lift

Old 01-15-2016, 07:52 PM
markj is a jewel in the roughmarkj is a jewel in the roughmarkj is a jewel in the roughmarkj is a jewel in the rough

Old 01-15-2016, 07:54 PM
markj is a jewel in the roughmarkj is a jewel in the roughmarkj is a jewel in the roughmarkj is a jewel in the rough
Don't forget flags or banners (the aesthetics). Tool boxes (I have the plastic ones with oil, car detailer, etc.), don't forget heater for the winter. I wish I had run water to my garage .... And if you have kids .... well, you can see !

Old 01-15-2016, 07:55 PM
Jeller is on a distinguished road
You should go over to garagejournal.com

Old 01-16-2016, 07:28 AM
PSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by gr8scott
Make sure you choose a good floor coating. I started with a crappy epoxy coating which started to peel, then I decided to put in a vinyl plank floor which started to lift. Finally I think I got it right!!
What did you end up using in the end?

Old 01-16-2016, 08:01 AM
gr8scott has a spectacular aura aboutgr8scott has a spectacular aura about
I'm not sure what the product is actually called but the process was as follows:
1. They sanded the concrete floor
2. They put a base coat (light tan)
3. They sprinkled the flecks on top of the base coat
4. They put a thick clear coat over top

In the end I have a product that is easy to clean, not slippery when wet, has held up for about 9 months so far and most importantly looks good.

Old 01-16-2016, 08:05 AM
cairo94507 is a jewel in the roughcairo94507 is a jewel in the roughcairo94507 is a jewel in the rough
For a small residential garage consider using porcelain tile on the floor. Installed properly, it is tougher than concrete. Really cleans up the space and is easy to maintain. Go over to GarageJournal.com (http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/f...splay.php?f=20) and go to their flooring tab and look at all of the different solutions.

I have a garage remodel that will happen next year and will do porcelain tile. None of the coatings I have seen or read about last. They all seem to lift, discolor, etc. The plastic tiles just don't impress me at all.

As for lighting, LED lights all the way. Use 4' fixtures in conjunction with cans to hit the tough to light areas. You will never regret going overboard on light as your eyes age. I would multiple switch them so you can control the level of lighting you want to turn on.

A garage sink is always nice.

In wall air lines with multiple connections around the garage for easy of use. Good stereo system/speakers for music to work by.

A small refrigerator is a nice touch.

I have had in my other garages the jack-shaft garage openers that mount to the wall next to the door and eliminate that opener and track over the cars. I will use them on this remodel too. I also do the doors with high-lift tracks to raise the door as close to the ceiling as possible, it opens up the space visually.

Of course the garage should be fully insulated with insulated doors to keep it as comfortable as possible. I fully sheetrock, tape, texture and paint too.

In my upcoming remodel, finally, I will excavate a pit, pour a "vault" to accommodate a scissor lift to make playing with cars easier on my back. When the lift is down the floor will be completely flush.

That is about all I got for now. Good luck and enjoy.

Old 01-16-2016, 10:51 AM
Domer911 has a reputation beyond reputeDomer911 has a reputation beyond reputeDomer911 has a reputation beyond reputeDomer911 has a reputation beyond reputeDomer911 has a reputation beyond reputeDomer911 has a reputation beyond reputeDomer911 has a reputation beyond reputeDomer911 has a reputation beyond reputeDomer911 has a reputation beyond reputeDomer911 has a reputation beyond reputeDomer911 has a reputation beyond repute
porcelain tile in this one...

Old 01-17-2016, 10:45 AM
tphan has a reputation beyond reputetphan has a reputation beyond reputetphan has a reputation beyond reputetphan has a reputation beyond reputetphan has a reputation beyond reputetphan has a reputation beyond reputetphan has a reputation beyond reputetphan has a reputation beyond reputetphan has a reputation beyond reputetphan has a reputation beyond reputetphan has a reputation beyond repute
Our isn't the greatest, optioned for painted walls & ceiling, utility sink, 220 outlet (never used lol). Too clutter IMO.

Extended driveway for a boat but it never came

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5453a.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	1.63 MB
ID:	437655  
Old 01-17-2016, 02:37 PM
JDDarkside is on a distinguished road
I have a similar floor coating to what gr8scott is referencing. The installer called it a "polyaspartic" coating and like gr8scott it has held up well - not slippery, looks great when clean, etc. I do notice that the tires can start to make slight dull blacker looking spots after awhile (only right where the tires sit when the car is parked).

Old 01-17-2016, 02:41 PM
JDDarkside is on a distinguished road
I also put in some HC series cabinets by Hayley (www.cabinetsbyhayley.com) that look fantastic. I installed some LED lights that work great and don't take a lot of power. I'd post pics but it's winter in Calgary and the floor is disgustingly dirty right now...

Old 01-19-2016, 09:24 AM
Berosucci will become famous soon enoughBerosucci will become famous soon enough
Sorry, I won't be any help. But after seeing some of these pictures, I feel like I need to do some work to improve my garage...

Old 01-19-2016, 06:20 PM
EMC2 has much to be proud ofEMC2 has much to be proud ofEMC2 has much to be proud ofEMC2 has much to be proud ofEMC2 has much to be proud ofEMC2 has much to be proud ofEMC2 has much to be proud ofEMC2 has much to be proud ofEMC2 has much to be proud of
A few ideas from mine:

Last edited by EMC2; 01-19-2016 at 06:22 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Garage idea help!