997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

GT3 vs GTS. 997.2 front bumper

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-17-2016, 06:17 PM
Hi-Arc is on a distinguished road
GT3 vs GTS. 997.2 front bumper

I am considering both front bumpers for my 997.2S. Is the GTS bumper identical to GT3 minus the third radiator vents? I was hoping any GT3 splitter would fit on the GTS bumper

Old 02-18-2016, 02:04 AM
HolmaN has a spectacular aura aboutHolmaN has a spectacular aura aboutHolmaN has a spectacular aura about
They're not the same. The GT3 has a lower part just before the slitter, at the third radiotor as mentioned, where the gts is "flat/straight".

With kind regards, Jonathan.

Old 02-18-2016, 12:41 PM
Basic Sponsor
SuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond repute
Jonathan is correct, the GT3 front lip will not fit the GTS bumper. Both bumpers will fit your 997.2S, so it comes down to a matter of preference. You do have several options for a new look, but keep in mind that if you do switch to the GTS, GT3, or the Factory Aerokit Porsche recommends adding the rear spoiler so the aerodynamics aren't upset.

The Factory Aerokit Cup Kit comes with front bumper and rear decklid and is very similar to the GTS front bumper. The 997.2 Speedster bumper is another option.

Here is the link to our Aerokits page:
http://www.suncoastparts.com/category/9972saerok.html

Let us know if we can help!

Your #1 Source for Genuine Porsche Parts and Accessories on the Web!

Visit us at http://www.SuncoastParts.com
Call us at: 877-923-1700
Email us at: Parts@SuncoastParts.com

Follow us to stay connected:
Join Our Newsletter | Facebook
Old 02-18-2016, 01:29 PM
Hi-Arc is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the responses. I am leaning towards a GT3 bumper but not a big fan of the rear wing. I will consider other options.

Old 02-18-2016, 02:43 PM
nwGTS has a reputation beyond reputenwGTS has a reputation beyond reputenwGTS has a reputation beyond reputenwGTS has a reputation beyond reputenwGTS has a reputation beyond reputenwGTS has a reputation beyond reputenwGTS has a reputation beyond reputenwGTS has a reputation beyond reputenwGTS has a reputation beyond reputenwGTS has a reputation beyond reputenwGTS has a reputation beyond repute
Also not mentioned but critical will be your cost in radiator vents and other items that need to be bought separately for the GT3 front bumper cover to fit properly. There are at least a dozen threads about this already. Just do a search.

http://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum...l#post12109092

"Here are the parts I used:
99750571192 Centre air inlet grille, Facelift 09-
99750556192 Retaining frame for centre air inlet grille, Facelift 09-
99757571792 Air outlet grille, upper part, 09-
99757556792 Set, retaining frame, upper part, 3-pieces
99750556392 Retaining frame, lateral, Facelift 09-, L
99750556492 Retaining frame, lateral, Facelift 09-, R
99750571392 Air inlet grille, lateral, Facelift 09-, L
99750571492 Air inlet grille, lateral, Facelift 09-, R
99757532291 air routing, lateral
99757532191 air routing, lateral
Also: screws for the smiley grille retaining frame, we never figured out which ones they were.
And: the front spoiler lip
We did not change the front wheel liners.

GOOD LUCK. Oh, and prepare for a lot of bumper scraping."

Old 02-19-2016, 01:40 PM
phily911 has a spectacular aura aboutphily911 has a spectacular aura aboutphily911 has a spectacular aura about
I am in the middle of doing this conversion to my .2 997, its in the shop now.

The list above is EVERYTHING you would need for a .2 conversion but alot of that stuff varies on the bumper you select. I am using a GT3 cup car bumper so at the MIN i just need the Left and Right retaining frames. You would only need the upper retraining part if you have a 3rd radiator.

You dont need the grilles unless you prefer the OEM look. They are expensive, I bought them but I think a good shop can easily make them for you for at least half the cost. But because the grilles fit between the bumper opening and the frame you need all the frames for the grilles.

Long story short, for my .2 conversion I ended up buying L and R retaining frame, center reteaining frame, upper retaining frame and all the grilles. 1200+

nwGTS - what are the last two parts, air routing lateral? Thats the first I have heard as those being needed.

Old 02-19-2016, 02:06 PM
nwGTS has a reputation beyond reputenwGTS has a reputation beyond reputenwGTS has a reputation beyond reputenwGTS has a reputation beyond reputenwGTS has a reputation beyond reputenwGTS has a reputation beyond reputenwGTS has a reputation beyond reputenwGTS has a reputation beyond reputenwGTS has a reputation beyond reputenwGTS has a reputation beyond reputenwGTS has a reputation beyond repute
They are these big *** things (two of them, one for each side) that funnel air from the inlet directly to the radiator

Old 02-19-2016, 03:49 PM
dmz
dmz is on a distinguished road
Suncoast, What's the difference between the GTS, Speedster and the Aero kit bumper? Just the different lower lip, correct?

And why is the GT3 bumper cost more than double of the aero bumper? There can't be more than 2x of parts. I am guessing it's the GT3 tax?

Love the GT3 bumper, but can't justify pending $8k for one and I still have to get a rear spoiler...

Old 02-19-2016, 04:12 PM
No need for Suncoast to answer. The 997 Carrera GTS, Speedster and Sport Classic all have the same Aero kit bumper cover. This bumper cover was also included with the factory Aerokit option (XAA) when optioning the car at purchase. The GTS has a bespoke GTS front spoiler lip. The Speedster and Sport Classic have a bespoke front spoiler lip in common. Finally, the Aerokit also has its own front spoiler lip. All three of those front spoiler lips fit the Aerokit front bumper cover.
We can speculate as to why the 997.2 GT3 bumper is twice the price. Supply/demand is probably the biggest price difference there.

Old 02-19-2016, 05:06 PM
myw
myw is a splendid one to beholdmyw is a splendid one to beholdmyw is a splendid one to beholdmyw is a splendid one to beholdmyw is a splendid one to beholdmyw is a splendid one to beholdmyw is a splendid one to behold
to the OP, i wouldnt do a GTS front bumper conversion, it's too similar other then 2 vertical slats down the middle... and you WILL have to change out both side grills (despite they look identical to your current grills) and maybe even retaining frame as well from your 997.2 bumper.

the L+R rad shrouds and the centre air duct should be the same however.

if you do the GT3 front bumper swap, the grills, center retaining frame (centre grill), and the L + R + center aid ducting (as nwGTS stated) will all need to be swapped out... i could be also missing a few extra pieces that also will need changing.

Old 02-19-2016, 05:24 PM
^^^^ Listen to this man. I've read his threads on his conversion and was trying to find links to them when answering your initial question.
It isn't easy. Then again, nothing worth doing is.

Old 02-20-2016, 07:20 AM
phily911 has a spectacular aura aboutphily911 has a spectacular aura aboutphily911 has a spectacular aura about
Ah, so this was one of those parts I think are optional. They currently are not used on the 997.2 cars, so why would they be needed for the bumper conversion?

Thoughts?

Originally Posted by nwGTS
They are these big *** things (two of them, one for each side) that funnel air from the inlet directly to the radiator

Old 02-20-2016, 03:00 PM
gasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond repute
Also not mentioned but critical will be your cost in radiator vents and other items that need to be bought separately for the GT3 front bumper cover to fit properly. There are at least a dozen threads about this already. Just do a search.

http://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum...l#post12109092

"Here are the parts I used:
99750571192 Centre air inlet grille, Facelift 09-
99750556192 Retaining frame for centre air inlet grille, Facelift 09-
99757571792 Air outlet grille, upper part, 09-
99757556792 Set, retaining frame, upper part, 3-pieces
99750556392 Retaining frame, lateral, Facelift 09-, L
99750556492 Retaining frame, lateral, Facelift 09-, R
99750571392 Air inlet grille, lateral, Facelift 09-, L
99750571492 Air inlet grille, lateral, Facelift 09-, R
99757532291 air routing, lateral
99757532191 air routing, lateral
Also: screws for the smiley grille retaining frame, we never figured out which ones they were.
And: the front spoiler lip
We did not change the front wheel liners.

GOOD LUCK. Oh, and prepare for a lot of bumper scraping."
That was my list!
Which reminds me, I need a new front spoiler lip.

Old 02-20-2016, 03:03 PM
gasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by phily911
Ah, so this was one of those parts I think are optional. They currently are not used on the 997.2 cars, so why would they be needed for the bumper conversion?

Thoughts?
On my stock 997.2, there were 2 lateral air routing ducts already installed to direct air into the radiators. The GT3 bumper conversion required different ducts to mate with the different sized openings in the new bumper. At least that's what I remember.

Old 02-20-2016, 03:06 PM
We can speculate as to why the 997.2 GT3 bumper is twice the price. Supply/demand is probably the biggest price difference there.
You're paying for the smiley vent.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: GT3 vs GTS. 997.2 front bumper