997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

From 997S to Aston Martin Vantage S

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-19-2016, 10:21 PM
Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !
From 997S to Aston Martin Vantage S

Hi Folks,
I many of us already know each other, although it's been awhile since I've been active on a daily basis. I own a 2005 Porsche Carrera S that I SuperCharged, and documented here:

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...y-cattman.html

Yesterday I took delivery of a 2012 Aston Martin Vantage S. It's such a totally different car than my 997, and I love them both for some totally different reasons. Here are some impressions/ comparisons:

-Looks: No ruling. There are 10 911's for every Vantage, so, the Aston is far more rare, which makes it more unique. It is a true exotic. Both are beautiful, but the Vantage gets more looks given it's rarity. But beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

-Suspension: Vantage. My 997S has the PASM, so dual mode suspension. The Aston Martin has only one mode. But the Vantage feels infinitely more planted and solid. Never a too-smooth nor a too-skippy feeling, it simply feels more attached to the road.

-Transmission: No ruling. Apples and oranges. My 997 is a 6 speed manual, and my Vantage is a 7 speed electro-hydraulically assisted automated manual. Lots of words, but hear this: nothing beats PDK, but my 997 is manual. I love the gearbox on my Vantage, but it takes time to learn, and it's not something a valet can climb into and even be able to park.

-Acceleration: Vantage. It's not fair though, for despite the weight we're comparing 350hp to 440hp.

-Brakes: No ruling. Pretty much even although the compound of the stock Vantage pads squeal.

-Feel: 997. Far more communicative.

-Controls: 997. No contest.

-Luxury: Aston Martin. Duh. Every surface, inside and out is the best, without exception.

-Paint: Aston Martin. Porsche builds 6 cars in the time it takes to paint just 1 Aston Martin. Perfection. Nuanced. Incomparable.

-Practicality: 997. The Porsche has almost zero compromise. Seats 3-4 in a pinch, is amazingly reliable, great looking, drives well under all conditions, parts and service are readily (if not inexpensively) available. Astons are so rare that dealerships and parts are sparse, and costly.

-Verdict: No ruling. Personally, I prefer my Aston Martin to my 997S. But I am comparing cars that are a few years apart in age and mileage, and I no longer require a back seat. Overall, and in general, one cannot beat a 911 for a guy with a wife and a kid and a job, it's simply the best. However, at a certain point, not necessarily age dependent, an Aston Martin becomes inevitable (God willing) and appropriate.

Just a few thoughts. Happy to answer any questions. Still own my 997S, so definitely a foot in each camp.
CATTMAN

Attached Images   
Old 03-19-2016, 11:19 PM
MkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud ofMkC2S has much to be proud of
sweet ride , congrats

Old 03-20-2016, 02:29 AM
gasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond repute
exhaust note?

Old 03-20-2016, 11:01 AM
Hatzenbach has a spectacular aura aboutHatzenbach has a spectacular aura about
Beauuuuuutiful ride, congrats!
Do you get "rich a***hole" stares/comments in the Aston?
That's a V8 Vantage - right?
How bad is the transmission in real life? I read that it feels like. 16 year old driving a manual for the first time, but find that hard to believe.

Old 03-20-2016, 03:10 PM
Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !
Mine is a 4.7L V8 Vantage S.

The exhaust note is no comparison, the Aston is absolutely intoxicating, and definitely exotic.

The Sportshift II transmission is outstanding, I love it! The key is to slightly lift your foot off the accelerator when shifting, and then get right back on it after you flip the paddle. It's smooth as silk, and quick as can be. I think there were issues with the first iteration of it, but this is a well-honed version, as it's 6 years into development. It drives well in full auto mode as well, not jerky like the earlier iterations are.

No, I don't get any a-hole looks or comments, I get more of those in the 911 as a matter of fact. I think that Aston is just so rare that even haters have to appreciate it. It's also somewhat subdued, and doesn't scream "LOOK AT ME!" like a Lambo does
CATTMAN

Old 03-20-2016, 10:25 PM
Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !
That's awesome, congrats! Need more photos of the Aston.

Old 03-20-2016, 10:49 PM
dmz
dmz is on a distinguished road
Congrats on your new Aston. I almost bought one before I got my 997. I agree with all of your comments with the exception acceleration. From all of the 997S Vs Vantage comparisons that I've seen, the 997S has proven to be the quicker car in acceleration.

I test drove a Vantage before buying my 997 and acceleration and driving feel is not comparable to the 997. But these are different cars. The 997 feels like a sports car while the Vantage feels like a comfortable GT cruiser. Both are great car for it's intended purpose. Ultimately the unreliability of a British hand built sports car scared me away. The 997 is way more reliable for a daily driver.

Here is a video of an Aston Martin owner talking about some interesting quirks about the car:

Old 03-21-2016, 07:42 AM
yvesvidal is a glorious beacon of lightyvesvidal is a glorious beacon of lightyvesvidal is a glorious beacon of lightyvesvidal is a glorious beacon of lightyvesvidal is a glorious beacon of lightyvesvidal is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by fedoantie
The key is to slightly lift your foot off the accelerator when shifting
Yeah, we also do that with a manual transmission.

Yves

Old 03-21-2016, 07:59 AM
lacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud of
Congratulations on the new addition. I am thinking about adding a V8V to my garage (looking at '08-'10). Glad to hear that you are happy with yours. Please keep us updated as to driving impressions. I see them as two very different cars with two very different purposes. As another poster commented, the 911 is a sports car. The Aston is intended to be a GT.

One last point, I wouldn't put much stock in the Doug Demuro videos. He goes out of his way to be a jerk (i.e., complaining he can't drive his Aston in the snow when he is running summer tires).

Old 03-21-2016, 10:23 AM
love2drive is on a distinguished road
I've seriously considered an Aston Martin Vantage GT as well; but finally decided on a 12 GTS. I love the GTS and will probably never sell it. Still, I am contemplating an AM down the road say 4 to five years from now. It will be interesting to see how options have changed then. For example, the Alfa Giulia or the anticipated mid engined Corvette.

Old 03-21-2016, 08:22 PM
Originally Posted by dmz
Congrats on your new Aston. I almost bought one before I got my 997. I agree with all of your comments with the exception acceleration. From all of the 997S Vs Vantage comparisons that I've seen, the 997S has proven to be the quicker car in acceleration.

I test drove a Vantage before buying my 997 and acceleration and driving feel is not comparable to the 997. But these are different cars. The 997 feels like a sports car while the Vantage feels like a comfortable GT cruiser. Both are great car for it's intended purpose. Ultimately the unreliability of a British hand built sports car scared me away. The 997 is way more reliable for a daily driver.
ACCELERATION: I am comparing a 2005 997S to a 2011 Vantage S. I own both. The Vantage S accelerates faster. I know that from my own experience. And the times recorded by independent 3rd party professional drivers do, too: 2005 997S 0-60 in 4.8 seconds vs 2011 Vantage V8S in 4.3 seconds. Of course none of this is relevant around town, but I do know that I can get more power and instant jump-ahead on tap more quickly in my Vantage S than I can in my 997S. Today's PDK would kill that debate.

VIDEO: @Dougdemuro is not a serious source of car information or reviews, and his car is a previous iteration of a base Vantage, very different from mine. Even the two part volvo key he kvetches about is different from mine. Mine, pictured below, is crystal. I'm sure he'd hate it.
CATTMAN

Attached Images  

Last edited by Cattman; 03-22-2016 at 09:37 AM.
Old 03-22-2016, 04:12 PM
stevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of light
Wow - good for you - congrats - I'll keep an eye out for you.

Great write up - sounds wonderful. Nice to read about something so finely crafted.

Old 03-22-2016, 04:46 PM
slicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of light
Now that's a key

Old 03-22-2016, 04:48 PM
slicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of light
Surely that blows away the Porsche miles away. Porsche keys are pathetic pieces of junk... At least for the 997's

Old 03-22-2016, 06:56 PM
crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !
Congrats on the AM. They r beautiful and exhaust sounds so sweet.

I know it's been a while but didn't u get the new vette also Cattman?

Last edited by crazycarlitos; 03-22-2016 at 06:58 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: From 997S to Aston Martin Vantage S