997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

PDK problem?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-24-2016, 04:17 PM
Claudio66 is on a distinguished road
PDK problem?

I own a 2009 997.2 CS2 with 48.5k miles and PDK. Never raced or tracked. Just a daily driver. Yesterday during the morning drive the car worked ok. During the evening drive the transmission suddenly started to skipp all the even gears! 1-3-5-7 in both auto mode, using the steering wheel shifters or manual mode. Upon reaching a light it just stayed in the 7 gear and when fully stopped it engaged the 1st gear. This morning is working correctly again. Any idea. Car is out of warranty 😩😩

Old 03-24-2016, 06:40 PM
StormRune Is a GOD !StormRune Is a GOD !StormRune Is a GOD !StormRune Is a GOD !StormRune Is a GOD !StormRune Is a GOD !StormRune Is a GOD !StormRune Is a GOD !StormRune Is a GOD !StormRune Is a GOD !StormRune Is a GOD !
Well, I see you've had a lot of readers but no responders. Maybe everyone is afraid of potentially bad news in the PDK. This one is worrisome but also odd... I don't recall seeing this particular problem either here or on Rennlist.

So just in case you don't know how the PDK works, it is a dual clutch transmission with two gear paths through the tranny, one for even gears and one for odd gears. When the clutch plates are engaged in one direction, the clutch plates engage one of two shafts. The outer shaft is hollow, the inner one is solid and sits inside the hollow part of the outer shaft. One of the shafts drives the odd gears, the other drives the even gears. When you shift, the clutches switch direction and engage the other shaft allowing you to work your way up through the gears.

So when you start in first, the odd path is selected. As you accelerate in first, the computer goes ahead and shifts the other transmission path to second. When you shift, the shift occurs very quickly since all that is left to do is flip the clutch plate pressure in the opposite direction. When in second, the computer preselects third on the other shaft and it all happens again.

So for some reason, your car decided not to use the second transmission path for a while. What strikes me as really odd is that you do not report seeing a white or red transmission failure warning at the bottom of the center display on the gauge cluster. A white warning normally lets you keep driving, a red warning indicates a hard failure and the transmission will no longer engage. Are you sure that no warning showed up in the center diagnostics area just below the tach?

So in case you don't know, almost all PDK failures cannot be repaired since Porsche doesn't provide directions to techs on how to do this nor do they provide internal parts. IF your transmission is truly failing then you are looking at replacement of the entire PDK. However, hopefully this is a one-time glitch!

If this resulted in an error, then that error is stored in the ECU and can be read from the car with an OBD-II connector. If no error was stored, then this was truly odd indeed! I hope that you will find that this is an unexplainable one-time glitch since replacement of the PDK is quite pricey. Sorry to be the bearer of potentially bad news.

Old 03-24-2016, 08:08 PM
PDK problem

Thanks for your response. I was aware of the transmission failure lights but no warning lights were turned on. I already called my tech. He told me that the car needs to be scanned. We will do next week. So far I am using it for short distance travel only. Will keep you posted.

Old 04-03-2016, 01:04 PM
We scanned the car. The following codes were registered in the computer.

We reset all the codes, turn off/ on the car; re scared and got this.

Did it again and the final error codes an the PDK are:

The car has been driving well. Does any one knows what this codes stand for?? Any critical message, Critical PDK malfunction? $$$$

Old 04-03-2016, 01:07 PM
We are going to scan the car again this week

Old 04-04-2016, 09:01 PM
Robocop305 is just really niceRobocop305 is just really niceRobocop305 is just really niceRobocop305 is just really nice
Just in case. check your battery and make sure is ok. These cars are highly electrical dependent. Any variation in electrical signal can cause all sorts of code and malfunctioning. Good luck!