997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Strange metallic noise when revving

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-04-2016, 11:48 AM
tc65 is on a distinguished road
Strange metallic noise when revving

Hi,

I had a waterpump failure and had it replaced by my mecanic. (indy)
When I got home I heard a strange metallic sound in the engine bay or from the exhausts when revving. I didn't hear it with the windows up. But in my garage you can clearly hear something doesn't sound good.
Any idea what this could be? And is it still safe to drive?
My mecanic is on holiday until Monday...

Thanks,

Tony

Old 05-04-2016, 08:23 PM
EMC2 has much to be proud ofEMC2 has much to be proud ofEMC2 has much to be proud ofEMC2 has much to be proud ofEMC2 has much to be proud ofEMC2 has much to be proud ofEMC2 has much to be proud ofEMC2 has much to be proud ofEMC2 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by tc65
Hi, I had a waterpump failure and had it replaced by my mecanic. (indy) When I got home I heard a strange metallic sound in the engine bay or from the exhausts when revving. I didn't hear it with the windows up. But in my garage you can clearly hear something doesn't sound good. Any idea what this could be? And is it still safe to drive? My mecanic is on holiday until Monday... Video Link: https://youtu.be/wYUbd41KvJ0 Thanks, Tony
I couldn't hear the metallic noise in your clip, but youtube sound clips are not very reliable for diagnosis in most cases.
To start with I would take a rubber mallet and knock the exhaust pipes and mufflers in different places to ensure you're not hearing a rattle from something that wasn't put back together correctly on the exhaust system.

If nothing there, then i would be cautious and take it back for inspection.
Good luck.

Old 05-05-2016, 04:21 AM
tc65 is on a distinguished road
Also the next morning cold start was very loud! like a rattle from the engine amplified by the exhausts...
I was nog giving gas. Just idle start. This went away after about 10 seconds

Last edited by tc65; 05-05-2016 at 04:25 AM.
Old 05-06-2016, 12:40 PM
lurchphil is on a distinguished road
I would take a look at the engine mounts and the exhaust system. If they were loosened or removed to install the water pump, they might have been overlooked on reinstall.

Old 05-06-2016, 06:46 PM
Gpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud of
Nobody can or should tell you it is ok to drive based on clip or description. I would start by having someone loosen and remove the belt and start the engine. If it is pulley or pump related you will know right away. If like me you don't have the aptitude or tools and cannot definitely identify this as an exhaust noise/rattle call the tech and have him take care of it. I assume you paid him with good money, right?