Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Replacing brake pads, use lube/amti-seize/etc.?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-07-2016, 11:11 AM
Jeff_335i is a splendid one to beholdJeff_335i is a splendid one to beholdJeff_335i is a splendid one to beholdJeff_335i is a splendid one to beholdJeff_335i is a splendid one to beholdJeff_335i is a splendid one to beholdJeff_335i is a splendid one to behold
Replacing brake pads, use lube/amti-seize/etc.?

I searched as best as I could and did not find an answer.

I'm replacing my dusty stock brake pads with Porterfields (thanks Stuart!) and was wondering what, if anything, people have been using for lubrication, etc.

Anyone apply lube to the rails that the pads rest on? How about anything on the pins? Back side of pads?

I've seen different people use many different things. Any recommendations specific to our setups?

Old 04-07-2016, 12:46 PM
papigko is a glorious beacon of lightpapigko is a glorious beacon of lightpapigko is a glorious beacon of lightpapigko is a glorious beacon of lightpapigko is a glorious beacon of light
I use only a good synthetic brake caliper lube on the pad rail not antiseize.
For the back of the pads usually a light spray of an antisqueal compound like Permatex Disc Brake Quiet.
For the pins you really don't need to do anything. I'm in the north east so I will clean them and put a light spray of high temp paint on them to prevent corrosion. It can be a real pain if the pins get rusty. if you do this make sure they dry appropriately before reinstalling.

Old 04-07-2016, 04:25 PM
sam i am will become famous soon enough
I just swapped all 4 corners two weeks ago with the Porterfields. We cleaned the crud off of the pins with some brake clean, and used the Auto Zone packets of anti-squeak on the back of the pads.
I've had no squeaking or squeal other than the first two or three applications as I was bedding them in.
Other than breaking two of the clips on the wear sensors, one of the easiest brake jobs I've done.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	brakes.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	950.9 KB
ID:	445085  

Last edited by sam i am; 04-07-2016 at 04:27 PM.
Old 04-07-2016, 08:24 PM
jerhofer is just really nicejerhofer is just really nicejerhofer is just really nicejerhofer is just really nice
I recently purchased my V8 Vantage and had to have the wheels refinished because someone had used something caustic to clean them. Before I installed the re-finished wheels, I installed the Porterfield's. I used anti-seize and, like "sam i am", I had some initial squealing but it soon went away. These pads have greatly reduced the brake dust.

Old 04-07-2016, 10:10 PM
Jeff_335i is a splendid one to beholdJeff_335i is a splendid one to beholdJeff_335i is a splendid one to beholdJeff_335i is a splendid one to beholdJeff_335i is a splendid one to beholdJeff_335i is a splendid one to beholdJeff_335i is a splendid one to behold
Thanks for the replies. I have some CRC anti-squeal and synthetic grease left over from some previous jobs, looks like those will be just fine for this project.

Old 04-08-2016, 05:03 AM
mkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud of
I did mine this winter, didn't use any anti squeal, the pads just don't squeal at all

Old 04-08-2016, 11:02 AM
Got my brake pads and it looks like they have a plastic? coating on the back rather than just plain metal so they probably don't really need to have additional anti-squeal applied.

Old 04-08-2016, 12:54 PM
Gene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond repute
I replaced my pads with Porterfield pads and used 2 packets of lube from auto zone. While the wheels were off gave me the opportunity to really clean the wheel wells and suspension parts. Also painted the brake hubs with silver high temp paint,and cleaned and polished the wheels. Had no brake noise but less dust.

Old 04-08-2016, 12:59 PM
Gene, was the lube for the caliper rails? I also have hi-temp silver paint to repaint the hubs, and also plan to polish and seal the calipers and wheels. The dusting with the stuck pads is horrible.

Old 04-08-2016, 01:17 PM
Gene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond repute
I cleaned everything but just put the lube on the back side of the pads. I used Rejex on the wheels it seals them and makes it really easy to clean them.

Old 04-08-2016, 01:47 PM
I also have Rejex to use on the wheels and calipers. That stuff is supposed to be great for that application.

Old 04-08-2016, 09:22 PM
John at CCW wheels recommend Rejex when he made some wheels for me years ago. Great stuf and I think John and his staff make some of the best wheels you can buy. And their customer service couldn't be any better.