997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Anyway to fix these disasters

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-19-2017, 02:41 PM
Doug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud of
Anyway to fix these disasters from Vivid Racing?

Because I obviously won't be able to sell these cheap looking, poor fitting MRR FS01s without being shady or dishonest.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ly-2-days.html

Can I: (1) bead blast these MRR FS01s and put a professional looking finish on them that is not a horrific looking greenish grey; and (2) can I adjust the offset on the fronts so they are not sticking out of my wheel wells looking all clown like.

They were sold as ET 45s, but they stick out too far. Curious if about 2 to 3 mms can be shaved of the back of the hub without completely degrading the strength and safety so at least they are useable to some degree, especially if I add 2 or 3 mm shims in the rears to get them where they look better.

Last edited by Doug H; 10-06-2017 at 10:59 AM.
Old 07-19-2017, 05:20 PM
lowbee is on a distinguished road
Man, I feel for you........

1. You can have them powercoat but they don't fit so why throw more good money at them
  2. I am no expert but I wouldn't want to be driving with them especially if I knew there could be structural integrity issue after shaving the back of the hub...
I think you will have recourse (with Vivid racing) especially if these wheels does not have 45mm offset like they claim, have the wheels measured by a reputable wheel/tire shop

Old 07-19-2017, 05:24 PM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Doug H
Because I obviously won't be able to sell these cheap looking, poor fitting MRR FS01s without being shady or dishonest.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ly-2-days.html

Can I: (1) bead blast these MRR FS01s and put a professional looking finish on them that is not a horrific looking greenish grey; and (2) can I adjust the offset on the fronts so they are not sticking out of my wheel wells looking all clown like.

They were sold as ET 45s, but they stick out too far. Curious if about 2 to 3 mms can be shaved of the back of the hub without completely degrading the strength and safety so at least they are useable to some degree, especially if I add 2 or 3 mm shims in the rears to get them where they look better.
Changing offsets to reduce distance extending out would require machining the wheel and I'm sure you could refinish...but why bother doing either? Currently priced pretty reasonable - let the buyer decide what to do for refinish. Don't understand the offset issue - certainly selling vendor can confirm the et for you - any marking (width and offset) inside the rims?

Old 07-20-2017, 06:24 AM
Petza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond repute
With a digital caliper and a straight edge, you should be able to validate the offset for yourself. An et of 45 doesn't fit the front of 997s well. An et of 50 is perfectly flush, which is what's on the front of my car in these photos. Anything more will extend out past the fender.

I wouldn't try to shave the hub to reduce the offset either - that could cause a fracture at the hub under load or if a pothole is hit.

Old 07-20-2017, 06:51 AM
Doug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud of
Yep Petzra, I saw something you posted before I ordered from Vivid. If I recall, you had photos of a 42 that stuck out. Although I don't have a lot of knowledge or experience in aftermarket wheels and sizing, in the back of my mind I was thinking 47 to 50 ish would be about right for the front and 51/52 would be good for the rear.

Unfortunately, I let Vivid Racing talk me into the 45 and 55 offsets on MRR telling me it was perfect for my car and they had MRRs on their Porsche as well. I said something to Austin at Vivid about guys running 51 and being flush on rears and mid 40s on the front sounding too aggressive, but I let him talk me into the MRRs when what I really wanted was back ordered.

Whatever size these MRR FS01s are, they look clown like when they are on the car having the fronts stick out and appear wider than the rears which are tucked.

RE: Service after the sale

Austin disappeared on me after the sale after he said he would do something as simple as try and locate Porsche stickers for the center caps as I told him and MRR before my wheels arrived, these were for my wife and she HAD TO HAVE OE caps or caps with colored crest on them. We argued about the color of the wheels delivered (what they sent me looks like Gun Metal pictures) and then I could see these guys didn't give a flip and were not going to help me.

Last edited by Doug H; 07-20-2017 at 07:04 AM.
Old 07-20-2017, 07:25 AM
Petza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Doug H
Yep Petzra, I saw something you posted before I ordered from Vivid. If I recall, you had photos of a 42 that stuck out. Although I don't have a lot of knowledge or experience in aftermarket wheels and sizing, in the back of my mind I was thinking 47 to 50 ish would be about right for the front and 51/52 would be good for the rear.

Unfortunately, I let Vivid Racing talk me into the 45 and 55 offsets on MRR telling me it was perfect for my car and they had MRRs on their Porsche as well. I said something to Austin at Vivid about guys running 51 and being flush on rears and mid 40s on the front sounding too aggressive, but I let him talk me into the MRRs when what I really wanted was back ordered.

Whatever size these MRR FS01s are, they look clown like when they are on the car having the fronts stick out and appear wider than the rears which are tucked.

RE: Service after the sale

Austin disappeared on me after the sale after he said he would do something as simple as try and locate Porsche stickers for the center caps as I told him and MRR before my wheels arrived, these were for my wife and she HAD TO HAVE OE caps or caps with colored crest on them. We argued about the color of the wheels delivered (what they sent me looks like Gun Metal pictures) and then I could see these guys didn't give a flip and were not going to help me.
unmount them, ship them back, then contest the charge with your credit card company for a "product not as represented" (fitment & color).

Old 07-24-2017, 12:16 PM
sober_owl is on a distinguished road
if the car was lower they would fit better..mines looked similar before lowering..then they became flush after i lower car about 1.5 inch

Old 07-29-2017, 08:01 AM
phily911 has a spectacular aura aboutphily911 has a spectacular aura aboutphily911 has a spectacular aura about
Agree, lowering the car, which is needed, would def help but I would def return them if your experience above is accurate.

Old 07-30-2017, 07:24 AM
cairo94507 is a jewel in the roughcairo94507 is a jewel in the roughcairo94507 is a jewel in the rough
I agree 100% with Petza914. Unmount those wheels and send them back to Vivid and contest the charge as a misrepresented product. That is exactly why I buy stuff with my Visa card, for the protection it affords. You will never be happy with those wheels and will hate the car every time you look at it.

Old 08-09-2017, 05:36 AM
Originally Posted by phily911
Agree, lowering the car, which is needed, would def help but I would def return them if your experience above is accurate.
Would be nice to return them, but Vivid Racing pretty much told me I was SOL since I mounted them and so I see me self being out another $300 or whatever it cost to ship them back with grim prospect of getting anything back.

I put them back on after adding Eibach Springs to increase negative camber. The front looks a little better offset wise, but it is still too dang wide and looks like crap and the color . . . well the color just blows. These MRR FS01s look better covered in brake dust than clean.

Old 08-09-2017, 05:39 AM
Originally Posted by sober_owl
if the car was lower they would fit better..mines looked similar before lowering..then they became flush after i lower car about 1.5 inch
The problem is MRR or Vivid Racing's offset on these wheels is mismatched. The fronts are too wide and the rears not aggressive enough. I bought 1mm and 2mm shims for the rears to try and get the rears to somewhat match the fronts . . . I am just kind of blown away that Vivid or MRR could possibly think for a second that these offsets make any sense whatsoever.

Old 08-09-2017, 01:11 PM
st4rk is a name known to allst4rk is a name known to allst4rk is a name known to allst4rk is a name known to allst4rk is a name known to allst4rk is a name known to all
More camber?

Old 08-09-2017, 01:36 PM
Originally Posted by st4rk
More camber?
It's a base. I tried, but was told not adjustable. I could go lower to increase camber, but it is the wife's car and she does not want a harsh ride. Had to twist her arm to go with the Eibach springs.

Old 08-16-2017, 05:24 AM
Originally Posted by st4rk
More camber?
Alignment yester indicated 1.4 negative camber for front and 2.4 for the rears. I read that people were suggesting 1.3 for the front. What is ideal for front and rear on non-S without PASM.

Old 09-13-2017, 07:27 AM
Does anyone know a decent wheel refinisher so I can at least get the horrible grey, green whatever color looking powder coat finish on these. Looking for someone in the Tennessee, Georgia, North Carolina, Kentucky or Alabama area to avoid paying more for shipping charges and to refinish then the wheels are worth.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.