997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Does a dead absorber affect the height ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-27-2017, 11:11 AM
Sanchofa is on a distinguished road
Does a dead absorber affect the height ?

Hello everyone
i have a 997.2 carrera 4s, w Pasm and sport chrono package.
the left rear of the car is lower of 8mm
i wonder if its the conséquence of à dead shock absorber? What so you think?
thanks

Old 07-27-2017, 12:42 PM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Sanchofa
Hello everyone
i have a 997.2 carrera 4s, w Pasm and sport chrono package.
the left rear of the car is lower of 8mm
i wonder if its the conséquence of à dead shock absorber? What so you think?
thanks
What happens when you push the left rear down?

Old 07-27-2017, 12:43 PM
lowbee is on a distinguished road
The springs determine the static ride height .... not the shock ...

Old 07-28-2017, 02:39 AM
Originally Posted by jhbrennan
What happens when you push the left rear down?
What do you mean? it seems to be the same thing than in the rear right

Old 07-28-2017, 02:41 AM
Originally Posted by lowbee
The springs determine the static ride height .... not the shock ...
Thanks for your help,
i asked the quesion because some cars, have the absorbers that replace also the springs. i was wondering if in the 997.2, the absorbers only do .. absorbing

Old 07-28-2017, 06:31 AM
Petza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks for your help,
i asked the quesion because some cars, have the absorbers that replace also the springs. i was wondering if in the 997.2, the absorbers only do .. absorbing
Are you referring to a coilover dampener where the spring wraps around the shock body? In those, the spring and dampener still do separate functions so bad dampener still wouldn't effect ride height. The only type of suspension I can think of where one component both holds up the chassis and dampens the movement is an air suspension, and that doesn't belong on s Porsche unless you're Gas Monkey garage, then really still doesn't.

Old 07-28-2017, 08:11 AM
Hahahaa
No my name's is not Richard or Aaron.
btw, i was asonished to watch the episode where they put a V8 on a 996!
So what you are saying is the height is not linked to the fact that the absorber is dead or not, i have to check other parameters?

Old 07-28-2017, 08:49 AM
Petza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond repute
Hahahaa
No my name's is not Richard or Aaron.
btw, i was asonished to watch the episode where they put a V8 on a 996!
So what you are saying is the height is not linked to the fact that the absorber is dead or not, i have to check other parameters?
Correct, unless a shock has failed in a way that caused it to bind up during a compression stroke and is now stuck in that position, but that seems quite unlikely with the strength of the springs that are part of that suspension component. That one corner would be lower than the others (like you say it is) and not move when force was applied to the body to try and move it up or down. More likely, you have something loose in the suspension on that corner that is allowing the weight of the car to push it out (LCA bushing, ball joint, etc) and that's what I think you should be looking for to account for that one corner being low.

Old 07-28-2017, 05:40 PM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
What do you mean? it seems to be the same thing than in the rear right
Compression and rebound are the same on both sides? If so, it's probably not the shock.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.