997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Driving a 6-speed Manual in So Cal?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-12-2018, 09:03 AM
Greg2010 has a spectacular aura aboutGreg2010 has a spectacular aura about
Driving a 6-speed Manual in So Cal?

I'm curious to hear from those who live in So Cal and are driving a 997 manual to work (daily driving).

I own a 2010 C4S manual 6 speed and am in the process of relocating from VIrginia to the Redondo Beach/ Palos Verdes Estates area (my daily commute would be up/down PCH to El Segundo-- staying off the 405 Fwy). What are the traffic conditions like on this section of PCH during rush hour and how much pain is it driving a manual in rush hour conditions (realizing that evening "rush hour" in the LA may be from 3:30-7:00pm)!

Also wondering if anyone is living on the west side of PVE and could share the challenges with manual driving up/down the hill every day.

My first reaction was to sell the 997.2 C4S manual and look at buying a 991 or Macan GTS with PDK, but I love my 997.2 C4S manual so much that I'd rather hold on to it and just learn to live with the additional traffic pain!

Appreciate any advice and sharing your experiences in advance!

Greg

Old 01-13-2018, 08:41 AM
SoCal C2S is on a distinguished road
I have a plant in Marina Del Rey and drive PCH when I visit the plant....I don’t take the 911, I drive my X1.

The traffic is horrific and filled with people that zig and zag for one extra car length before the next traffic light. So while you’re rowing through the gears (and it may only be 2) there will be the constant attraction of idiots driving every POS on the road vying to get in front of you.

My suggestions are....get something that is a commuter and keep the 911 for the weekend, move inland to get on a better commute route (there aren’t to many places that fit this), don’t move to SoCal.

As far as hills with a 911/6spd....it’s your talent that will only answer this.

Sorry to be blunt, but I’ve done this for 33 years and looking forward to getting out.

Old 01-13-2018, 09:21 AM
Thanks for the input. I forgot about how the drivers in So Cal often move from lane to lane just to get one car length ahead (and also how the motorcycles split the lanes). I definitely am not liking the idea of driving a manual in 2 gears everyday! I'm also not familiar with the amount of traffic back-up (if any) or how steep the road is on Palos Verdes Drive West to understand if that is something else that I'll have to deal with (I'm definitely not a fan of moving in bumper-to-bumper traffic on steep slopes while driving a manual

Old 01-17-2018, 12:55 AM
Mikerx80 is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by Greg2010
Thanks for the input. I forgot about how the drivers in So Cal often move from lane to lane just to get one car length ahead (and also how the motorcycles split the lanes). I definitely am not liking the idea of driving a manual in 2 gears everyday! I'm also not familiar with the amount of traffic back-up (if any) or how steep the road is on Palos Verdes Drive West to understand if that is something else that I'll have to deal with (I'm definitely not a fan of moving in bumper-to-bumper traffic on steep slopes while driving a manual
Hills of PV, you have nothing to worry about. You will enjoy the windy roads and scenic views. But as mentioned driving stick through traffic is a bummer. Even in PV you will notice congestion. Consider a daily cruiser and drive the Porsche on occasion.

Old 01-26-2018, 10:57 AM
cairo94507 is a jewel in the roughcairo94507 is a jewel in the roughcairo94507 is a jewel in the rough
I have a '10 C4s 6 speed too. I live in the SF Bay Area, probably as bad as LA traffic. I do not DD my 6 speed, traffic is just way to heavy with complete idiots all around you trying to gain an extra foot in traffic. My DD cars have been rear ended 6 times in 15 years by idiots on their phones. I recommend a automatic for DD.

Old 01-26-2018, 02:24 PM
MYC2SPC is just really niceMYC2SPC is just really niceMYC2SPC is just really niceMYC2SPC is just really nice
Like everyone said above, the traffic can and will be a NIGHTMARE
! Drive a commuter car with an auto and keep the Porsche at home! When I was working I always drove my Jeep.

Old 01-26-2018, 03:29 PM
r11rs will become famous soon enough
Tesla autopilot FTW

Old 01-26-2018, 04:08 PM
GCBC has a reputation beyond reputeGCBC has a reputation beyond reputeGCBC has a reputation beyond reputeGCBC has a reputation beyond reputeGCBC has a reputation beyond reputeGCBC has a reputation beyond reputeGCBC has a reputation beyond reputeGCBC has a reputation beyond reputeGCBC has a reputation beyond reputeGCBC has a reputation beyond reputeGCBC has a reputation beyond repute
im sure its like it is here in Miami-ft Lauderdale.

ala, not worth the hassle!

Old 01-26-2018, 09:18 PM
marlon 997 is an unknown quantity at this point
I had a 997 manual and was commuting in LA, did NOT like it -- very happily switched to a PDK 997.2

I work from home now, so no commute anymore. BUT if I still had a commute, I'd buy a Tesla with autopilot in a heartbeat as a commuter car.

Old 01-31-2018, 02:53 PM
Targa4sg550 is an unknown quantity at this point
All my 911's are manuals. I do drive my C4S in traffic daily. Going to bring down my Targa4s down to LA soon. Rolling in traffic on PCH/Sepulveda or doing canyon runs I enjoy both. I'm one of the few who do not get tired of shifting.

Old 02-03-2018, 11:39 PM
Well, I've spent the past week out in So Cal searching for a home in the Palos Verdes/Redondo Beach Area (sticker shock doesn't come close to describing the market out here)....and assessing traffic patterns to drive the C4S once it arrives from the east coast. My first impression is that I am somewhat surprised on how many Tesla's there are on the road out here...while at the same time, it seems that there are far less Porsches/ BMWs than when I left CA nearly 20 years ago. It's only been a week, but my sense is that I will still enjoy daily driving my C4S, even though the traffic congestion and road conditions are much worse than what I'm use too in Northern VA.

Old 02-04-2018, 12:25 AM
Targa4sg550 is an unknown quantity at this point
Nice, yeah lots of tesla's everywhere. I don't like tesla's. Tesla's remind me of silent sex. Boring to the senses and now with autopilot. Why even own a car if you don't get to enjoy driving them. If someone wants autopilot go move to nyc and take the subway SMH.

Old 02-04-2018, 08:39 AM
SoCal C2S is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Targa4sg550
Nice, yeah lots of tesla's everywhere. I don't like tesla's. Tesla's remind me of silent sex. Boring to the senses and now with autopilot. Why even own a car if you don't get to enjoy driving them. If someone wants autopilot go move to nyc and take the subway SMH.
Totally agree.....I’ll drive a Tesla when you can pry my 911 keys out of my cold dead hand.

Old 02-04-2018, 08:43 AM
Originally Posted by SoCal C2S
Totally agree.....I’ll drive a Tesla when you can pry my 911 keys out of my cold dead hand.
Ha, ha,ha! Me too...Love it!

Old 02-04-2018, 12:20 PM
JackZ R is an unknown quantity at this point
Familiar with that area. Used to live there. No way I’d commute in my 997. Get a driver with an auto trans.

Phoenix traffic...my commute home anyways is 1.5 hours bumper to bumper at 5. Only 35. Miles too. No using the Porsche as the commuter.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Driving a 6-speed Manual in So Cal?