997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Need help with Dension install

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-10-2018, 12:48 AM
Rat3d M is an unknown quantity at this point
Need help with Dension install

I just bought a Dension GW500S BT unit used for my 997 Turbo. Everything appears to be there except a few plastic connectors, but I am looking for advice on install.

I've searched for hours, and found several DIY's, but none are really that in depth or detailed, and with several different ways of going about this install, I hoped someone here could dumb this down for me and give me a good idea of what I need to do to accomplish the following:

1. Install unit behind the PCM in the dash (don't want it in the frunk)

2. Run the OEM cd changer with the Dension (don't want to delete it if I can avoid it, if nothing else then just because I don't want a "CD Changer Not Found" warning I have heard people get when deleting it)

Seems simple enough, but I'm at a loss on how to install. Picture below to show what I am missing (circled in red). What, if anything do I need to buy to make this work and how do I install? I really need it dumbed down. I have little understanding of how this stuff works. So "unplug ______ plug and plug it into _______" style instructions would be awesome It's just the MOST fiber optic connections I need help with. Everything else is easy, though if someone can tell me where a good place to tap into for power is, that would be cool too. I've read you want to do a constant source like the cigarette lighter, not a switched source, but wouldn't that mean the Dension would always be powered, draining the battery?

Old 04-29-2018, 07:54 PM
Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !
Did you get an answer elsewhere, or do you still need help?
CATTMAN

Old 04-30-2018, 04:02 AM
Rat3d M is an unknown quantity at this point
I got the unit installed and everything works as intended, but I am getting a System Error: Phone Not Found (something along those lines) error message when I start the car.

The method I took to install was to install the unit just before the CDC. The CDC was kept installed, so basically I unplugged the MOST connector from the CDC, plugged it into the left side of the Dension, and then ran another MOST cable from the right side of the Dension to the CDC where the original plug was removed.

From what I read, the only way to get rid of the error is to go to the dealership and to code the phone module out, but I'm also under the impression I don't have the phone module from the factory. My factory options are CD Changer, BOSE, Nav. I do have the SIM card slot in the PCM with the phone icon buttons however.

Old 05-13-2018, 07:36 PM
Jeller is on a distinguished road
I think you are supposed to loop the changer then add the dension after the changer completing the most loop back to the PCM. There is alot of info in this thread, it should install same as the dension as its a knock off of it. https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...bluetooth.html

Old 05-19-2018, 09:16 PM
Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !
I have seen that error 1/100 times on mine, too.
For me it's been one of those: "shut if off, wait a few minutes, turn it on again" type things that are so annoying in computers of all kinds. Try disconnecting the neg terminal on your battery, wait 20 mins and re-connect it and see what happens.
CATTMAN