997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Evoms 997 Air Induction System

Old 08-13-2018, 02:36 PM
Dr.JB is an unknown quantity at this point
Evoms 997 Air Induction System

Greetings everyone! After installing the Fabspeed SS headers on my 06, C2S, I decided the engine needed to breath and opted for the Evoms 997 Air Induction System; I'm very pleased with the outcome. However, today I was looking at the installation and focused on the rubber gasket that interfaces between the air intake and the rear deck, noticing how restricting it is, given how small the opening becomes when using it. So, I removed it and was pleasantly surprised at how large the opening is in the deck lid. I've not driven it, yet and so I don't know if it's going to rattle or create any other kind of problem, but, I thought I'd check here to see if anyone else has opted to remove the gasket and whether or not it made a difference?

Please let me know and thanks,

John

Old 08-13-2018, 07:11 PM
Jeremyh is an unknown quantity at this point
How could the crappy rubber trim make a difference? Pic please

Old 08-13-2018, 07:34 PM
The crappy rubber gasket is quite restrictive of air flow, the opening in it is rather small, as compared to the cutout in the deck lid - in fact, it’s smaller than the opening in the evoms intake tube by a considerable amount.

I will take a picture next time I have a chance.

My worry is that without the rubber gasket, the evoms intake will rattle around, or mark up the deck lid and/or draw in engine bay heat!

Last edited by Dr.JB; 08-13-2018 at 07:37 PM.
Old 08-13-2018, 08:58 PM
lowbee is on a distinguished road
water comes to mind

Old 08-14-2018, 07:02 AM
Petza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond repute
Did you punch out the right side opening in your decklid or is it still solid on that side? That intake is designed to draw from the standard left side opening and also the punched out right side opening that's there for the X51 option intake. You don't need the trim piece unless you want it but do leave the rubber gasket on the top edge of the airbox in place so it draws in outside air. Measure your filter and get s K&N hydrophobic pre-filter cover for it. Photo is of the TT decklid on my wife's car, but you get the idea.

Old 08-14-2018, 07:18 AM
Thanks, Petza!

i would have knocked out the second cutout, but, the sales dude at Evoms wrote the following:

Yes, the airbox is designed for the air flow from the stock hole to flow directly to the filter and into the MAF sensor. If you were to make an additional hole, there wouldn't be any performance gains that you would feel while driving, and it would't be worth the hassle to produce a new cutout. Thanks for following up, happy to help!

Old 08-14-2018, 07:30 AM
Petza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Dr.JB
Thanks, Petza!

i would have knocked out the second cutout, but, the sales dude at Evoms wrote the following:

Yes, the airbox is designed for the air flow from the stock hole to flow directly to the filter and into the MAF sensor. If you were to make an additional hole, there wouldn't be any performance gains that you would feel while driving, and it would't be worth the hassle to produce a new cutout. Thanks for following up, happy to help!
That doesn't make any sense. If that were the case, there would be no reason to manufacture the airbox with the top of the entire right side open and they should have done something more like the Carbonio version where it's only open on the left at the intake port in the decklid and closed on the right..

If you open the hole in the decklid on the right, I'd venture to guess that it would almost obsolete the left side opening since the air would have a much more direct route to the filter on the right side. If you look at any dual intake airboxes for the 997 NA cars (Champion F77, Fabspeed, OEM X51, they all say to punch out the right side and that the engine can breath better with the increased airflow from the dual intake. The Evoms airbox design with a 90 degree turn at the bottom of the left side probably creates intake air turbulence through that turn and a restriction to some degree, whereas the huge opening above the filter would be a direct shot in.

Your call of course.

Old 08-14-2018, 10:24 AM
The K&N airbox is also open in the same way as the Evoms, only it’s centered behind the engine and has no access to additional air. I’m guessing these two boxes are open for easy access and maintenance of the air filters, without, then, having to remove the whole air box for servicing?

Also, if you look at the picture of your car’s deck lid, the two air holes are in the same lateral location, while the air filter opening, on the right, isn’t in the same location as the air intake on the left. On the other hand, while only a small portion of the air filter opening, on the right, can access the right hand air hole (as compared to the volume of access the left intake has), this imbalance in access probably creates a balance in draw, given the right hand side has immediate access - this makes me think you’re right, that it is designed to have both deck lid holes open - or, at least, provides the option.

lastly, under my deck lid is the spoiler mechanism, which may complicate things a bit.

Last edited by Dr.JB; 08-14-2018 at 11:30 AM.
Old 08-16-2018, 07:43 PM
Baileyii is on a distinguished road
How do you punch out or cut out the right side of the deck lid? I have the Fabspeed dual intake.

Old 01-31-2019, 04:23 PM
floatingkiwi is on a distinguished road
I also have an evoms intake on an aerokit car. The top of the intake on the rhs doesn't even seal to the decklid, hence it's not actually a CAI. I had some correspondence some time ago with evoms - they never actually replied about that part!

Old 01-31-2019, 05:05 PM
Originally Posted by floatingkiwi
I also have an evoms intake on an aerokit car. The top of the intake on the rhs doesn't even seal to the decklid, hence it's not actually a CAI. I had some correspondence some time ago with evoms - they never actually replied about that part!
There is so much fresh air entering the airbox at speed that you don't have to worry much about sucking hot engine compartment air. Maybe sitting still at idle thar occurs a little, but who's trying to make power at idle.

Do a test where you use an obd2 logger to monitor intake air temp and you'll see it's only a few degrees higher than the ambient temperature outside when you're underway.