997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Soon to be 1st time Porsche owner

Old 08-30-2018, 08:51 AM
E85SBM is on a distinguished road
Soon to be 1st time Porsche owner

Hello, I have made a decision that I no longer want to sacrifice myself and my happiness for an economy or perceived 'practical' car. I have had a long list of cars, many of which were BMW's, RWD and sporty versions which have taught me a lot about driving and car control, especially during the Canadian winter months.

Currently made the decision to downgrade to a Honda Civic so I can focus on house expenses and to save a few pennies to put towards my first Porsche. With that being said, I am torn between a 997 and a 981 Cayman. The biggest reason for these 2 choices is budget and driving feel/performance. I am not a fan of the newer or older Cayman models, also the 997 seems to feel great to drive, the newer ones have lost a little bit of soul (in my opinion).

So, with all of that rambling now complete, would a 911 be a better choice as a first Porsche and a daily driver. I drive around 12,000 miles a year and would often use it for mundane tasks, plus numerous weekend cruises through the mountains. The inner child in me likes the Cayman because there is possibly going to be newer 'toys', but the 911 has been a longtime desired vehicle. Finally, is there anything specific I should be looking for as a mandatory option or are there things to look out for (IMS, etc)

The good news is I am not going to rush into a purchase as I want to source the 'right car'.

Feedback, suggestions, flame suit ready

Last edited by E85SBM; 08-30-2018 at 10:07 AM.
Old 08-30-2018, 12:07 PM
Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !
I had a Cayman (987) prior to my two 911s (996TT 6MT and 997TTS - PDK). I loved the Cayman, just not enough power for me (non-S). BUT, I LOVED having the hatch back storage space along with the "Frunk" storage space. But the 911s have back seats / storage. The hatch was just easy to access.

I think you'll be happy with a Cayman but like me, I wanted to fulfill my dream / bucket list of owning a 911 (or several over time).

Keep us posted on your decision. Do lots of reading / research on the non-turbo 911s and the IMS / bore scoring potential.

If you can swing it, by a 996Turbo and not have to worry about either!

Old 08-30-2018, 02:27 PM
Thank you, I am needing to some research before I buy as I normally spend a fair amount of time to figure out what I like the most and what options I need versus want. This will be a big departure for me as well as I tend to only buy new vehicles (11 out of the last 12 have been new or factory ordered BMW/MINI/Audi). Ideally I am struggling with the lack of choice in Canada, so I may need to research importing something from the US.

My logical mind wants a C4 or C4S, but budget would probably lean towards a Cayman of a slightly newer generation or model year. I know I also need to adjust budget for potential repairs/fixes, modifications, etc. which will be different from buying something new and driving for 11-23 months like I have historically done.

Purchase price estimate would be approx $50k Canadian or $35-40k US. I know this can be a bit restrictive, but that is why I am doing my homework and in the next year to 2 years, I may have the ability to stretch the budget, or jump on something that catches my eye. I am also trying to watch pricing trends which seem to shift with the seasons.

Old 08-30-2018, 10:09 PM
sandwedge has much to be proud ofsandwedge has much to be proud ofsandwedge has much to be proud ofsandwedge has much to be proud ofsandwedge has much to be proud ofsandwedge has much to be proud ofsandwedge has much to be proud ofsandwedge has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by E85SBM
Thank you, I am needing to some research before I buy as I normally spend a fair amount of time to figure out what I like the most and what options I need versus want. This will be a big departure for me as well as I tend to only buy new vehicles (11 out of the last 12 have been new or factory ordered BMW/MINI/Audi). Ideally I am struggling with the lack of choice in Canada, so I may need to research importing something from the US.

My logical mind wants a C4 or C4S, but budget would probably lean towards a Cayman of a slightly newer generation or model year. I know I also need to adjust budget for potential repairs/fixes, modifications, etc. which will be different from buying something new and driving for 11-23 months like I have historically done.

Purchase price estimate would be approx $50k Canadian or $35-40k US. I know this can be a bit restrictive, but that is why I am doing my homework and in the next year to 2 years, I may have the ability to stretch the budget, or jump on something that catches my eye. I am also trying to watch pricing trends which seem to shift with the seasons.
The 997.2 introduced 2009 is the sweet spot imo. With your budget you're not too far off a base -09 997. The Cayman has its merits but it's not a 911. And another thing.....how tall are you? I'm 6'3" and I'm cramped beyond tolerance with the seat all the way back in the Cayman.

Old 08-30-2018, 10:32 PM
Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by sandwedge
The 997.2 introduced 2009 is the sweet spot imo. With your budget you're not too far off a base -09 997. The Cayman has its merits but it's not a 911. And another thing.....how tall are you? I'm 6'3" and I'm cramped beyond tolerance with the seat all the way back in the Cayman.

Agreed. I'm 6'2" & 260 and I was fairly cramped in my Cayman.

Now the 2018 718 Spyder I had as a loaner the other day when mine was being worked on had a good bit more room it seemed. I could tolerate it better than my old 987.

Old 08-31-2018, 07:39 AM
Thanks for the feedback. Maybe I will look at a lower optioned 981 or 718 Cayman - or continue along my initial thoughts of wanting a 911, looking at a 997.2, hopefully a C4 if the stars align

Old 08-31-2018, 08:07 AM
Jim f is on a distinguished road
Get the 911. If not now, when. Look at 997.1 too.
I don't drive mine in the winter but it is a great 9 month daily driver. I am told the C2is good in the winter since the weight is over the drive wheels but I use summer tires only and don't want to test them.

Last edited by Jim f; 08-31-2018 at 08:10 AM.
Old 08-31-2018, 11:42 AM
Not totally sure on the 997.1 Tiptronic, a 6 speed is a good option

Last edited by E85SBM; 08-31-2018 at 11:48 AM.
Old 09-08-2018, 09:58 PM
Tcc1999 is a splendid one to beholdTcc1999 is a splendid one to beholdTcc1999 is a splendid one to beholdTcc1999 is a splendid one to beholdTcc1999 is a splendid one to beholdTcc1999 is a splendid one to behold
The heart wants what the heart wants. Be honest with yourself and ask if you’ll look at your cayman and wish it were a 911. Sorry to be so vague but deep down, one way or the other and all things being equal, you know what you want. The Cayman is a spectacular car, as is the 911, and you won’t regret either -if it is truly whst you want. Ten or 15 years ago I agonozed over a boxster or a 911. My wife told me, “ Just get the 911, it is really what you want”, she wasn’t wrong. Three 911s later, she still was not wrong. Good luck with you decision. Whichever way you go you are gonna love it! :cheers:

Old 09-17-2018, 11:43 AM
Originally Posted by Tcc1999
The heart wants what the heart wants. Be honest with yourself and ask if you’ll look at your cayman and wish it were a 911. Sorry to be so vague but deep down, one way or the other and all things being equal, you know what you want. The Cayman is a spectacular car, as is the 911, and you won’t regret either -if it is truly whst you want. Ten or 15 years ago I agonozed over a boxster or a 911. My wife told me, “ Just get the 911, it is really what you want”, she wasn’t wrong. Three 911s later, she still was not wrong. Good luck with you decision. Whichever way you go you are gonna love it! :cheers:
Thank you for the words of wisdom. There is a part of me that likes the fancy tech that would be found in the Cayman, but the lifetime desire for a 911 has been very strong and I am debating if the Cayman would only be a transition vehicle to get me from into the Porsche brand and then eventually to a 911. I am thinking that I will need to do a few test drives and make sure my heart matches what feels good to drive, but timing is horrible right now as weather has shifted and winter is approaching (snow last week, freezing rain this week). Although I am not in a rush, awaiting builder to complete a property for my possession in the spring, so that might be a good combination, new property matched with new Porsche