997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

ruining the ride with springs?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-26-2006, 08:40 AM
Shawn C has a reputation beyond reputeShawn C has a reputation beyond reputeShawn C has a reputation beyond reputeShawn C has a reputation beyond reputeShawn C has a reputation beyond reputeShawn C has a reputation beyond reputeShawn C has a reputation beyond reputeShawn C has a reputation beyond reputeShawn C has a reputation beyond reputeShawn C has a reputation beyond reputeShawn C has a reputation beyond repute
ruining the ride with springs?

My last two 996's were lowered with H&R springs, Besides hiting everything with the front spoiler, I was eating through rear tires every 10K miles. I was thinking whenI get this new 997 S(This Wed or Thurs ), I might just leave well enough alone. My friends car arrived first, A two car deal, and seems low enough to me. The aerokit front spoiler is barely 2 inches off the ground as it is. The car is SICK by the way, Faster than we both expected. Him getting his first is killing me. We are going to post pics of both side by side when mine gets here.

Old 03-26-2006, 10:24 AM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Shawn as long as you stick with 19 inch wheels it doesn't ruin the ride. I usually put the car in sport mode to compensate for the stiffer springs

Old 03-26-2006, 11:55 AM
MichaelL will become famous soon enoughMichaelL will become famous soon enough
I have a 997S cabrio. An air deflector under the nose grounds regularly on pavement slope transitions that cannot be avoided. Unless the roadway is smooth, the sport mode in PASM will make you feel every discontinuity in the pavement, so I only use it occasionally. I find these compromises between handling and comfort to be acceptable for daily driving. The overall drivability of the car is absolutely superb.

Lowering springs and/or coilovers will certainly improve the appearance, improve the cornering and reduce body roll. Some currently available coilovers disable the PASM. The ride will be harsher and the undercarriage will ground out much more often. Camber changes, even with realignment of the suspension, will increase tire wear. 997's eat rear tires under the best of circumstances.

I am not trying to talk you out of modifying the suspension. I have done this on two previous vehicles. Just be aware of unintended consequences.

The worst possible scenario is to spend big bucks on "improving" the car and then have to take it all off because it kills the drivability. Good luck.

Old 03-27-2006, 10:07 AM
synergy is a splendid one to beholdsynergy is a splendid one to beholdsynergy is a splendid one to beholdsynergy is a splendid one to beholdsynergy is a splendid one to beholdsynergy is a splendid one to beholdsynergy is a splendid one to behold
The H&R spring setup for the 997 is awesome. The ride is great and there is still plenty of clearance as well as great handling. Besides that, the improved look of the car is awesome! You can't go wrong!

Old 03-27-2006, 10:13 AM
Shawn C has a reputation beyond reputeShawn C has a reputation beyond reputeShawn C has a reputation beyond reputeShawn C has a reputation beyond reputeShawn C has a reputation beyond reputeShawn C has a reputation beyond reputeShawn C has a reputation beyond reputeShawn C has a reputation beyond reputeShawn C has a reputation beyond reputeShawn C has a reputation beyond reputeShawn C has a reputation beyond repute
I agree, Your car looks great, Nice picture BTW, but with an Aerokit front end the car has barely any clearance as it is.