997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Now until supplies last! BMC panel filter blowout. Major Savings!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-26-2007, 11:42 AM
Former Vendor
Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !
Now until supplies last! BMC panel filter blowout. Major Savings!!!

Normal retail $155.95
Sale price $115

Save $40.95!

BMC drop in panel filter. This filter is washable and never needs replacement!

This offer is until supplies last.

Orders can be placed via online, via email, or over the phone.

1-888-565-2257 or Sales@awe-tuning.com

To view the web site, click the link below.
http://www.awe-tuning.com/pages/shar...n&IL=BMCfilter

Old 04-26-2007, 01:25 PM
HWJunkie is on a distinguished road
What makes this filter ok to use and a K&N is not ok? or at lease that is what i've been told by multiple people....

Old 04-26-2007, 03:14 PM
Former Vendor
Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !
I have yet to hear the same thing.

We like the BMC for a few reasons.

1. Customer Service
2. Quality Control
3. Customer Service
4. Used by F1 teams.

Old 04-26-2007, 03:36 PM
HWJunkie is on a distinguished road
I was told by a number of people and it was on this post on rennteam http://www.rennteam.com/showflat.php...art=&PHPSESSID=

Supposedly the K&N lets more dirt thru....

Old 04-26-2007, 04:06 PM
Dave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by HWJunkie
What makes this filter ok to use and a K&N is not ok? or at lease that is what i've been told by multiple people....
The problem with the K&N as well as all oil based filtration systems is oil saturating the hotwire on a Mass Air Flow meter. This usually happens upon cleaning and reoiling when the end user over oils the filter. You aren't suppose to be using more than 1 oz. of oil after cleaning. Most people are of the mind that "more is better". Not taking sides of BMC vs. K&N but either one if over oiled can cause problems with the MAF. This can easily be rectifed if caught early by cleaning the MAF hotwire with a good electronic parts cleaner and a pipe cleaner.

Dave

Old 04-26-2007, 11:08 PM
mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !
I have over 7,000 miles on a BMC and I have no problem with it. The problems come when you wash the filter and OVER OIL it. Use light oil made for the filter and you will not have any problems with BMC or K&N. I have used K&N in Vettes and a Boxter and my BMW X5 that has almost 45k miles with no problems at all. Just DO NOT OVER OIL the filters and they work great.

Old 04-28-2007, 06:54 AM
JCS
JCS will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by mdrums
I have over 7,000 miles on a BMC and I have no problem with it. The problems come when you wash the filter and OVER OIL it. Use light oil made for the filter and you will not have any problems with BMC or K&N. I have used K&N in Vettes and a Boxter and my BMW X5 that has almost 45k miles with no problems at all. Just DO NOT OVER OIL the filters and they work great.

The problems show up later .
~ 70% of all dust particles go past an oil type filter and contribute to one of the mayor causes of engine failure , namely "Sludge".

Attached Images  
Old 04-29-2007, 06:52 AM
mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by JCS
The problems show up later .
~ 70% of all dust particles go past an oil type filter and contribute to one of the mayor causes of engine failure , namely "Sludge".
In 2 years I'll be into another Porsche so I will never see these problems. However there are a lot of people that use gauze cloth filters oiled for ten's of thousands of miles without a single problem. With Mobil 1 oil and regular oil changes sludge will not build up.

Old 04-29-2007, 11:32 AM
JCS
JCS will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by mdrums
In 2 years I'll be into another Porsche so I will never see these problems. However there are a lot of people that use gauze cloth filters oiled for ten's of thousands of miles without a single problem. With Mobil 1 oil and regular oil changes sludge will not build up.

Your attitude is the main reason why I would never buy a used car .Lol
I never have and I never will .

3 Months ago , my wife's Audi had a catastrophic engine failure .
At 65k miles. 15k miles past warranty and one day after a regular scheduled
oil change at the dealer .
The car was always maintained by the dealer and used only Mobil 1 oil from the beginning .
That means the sludge started to accumulate from day one .Until one day a chunk broke loose and some part in the engine no longer got proper lubrication .And when that happens, you have a few minutes left before the engine seizes . WITHOUT warning . The cooling system works just fine , so there are literally no failure indications until it happens. I know, because I drove it at the time.

So don't say that engines using synthetic oils do not have sludge build up.
(the picture of the BMW above is of an engine which used sythetic oil)

To their credit, Audi replaced the engine at no cost , but I suspect only because it was always dealer maintained and at the required maintenance schedule ( and probably the fact that Toyota had just settled a class action lawsuit for the exact same problems )

I am not saying that oiled filters are the only cause of sludge , but considering that they only catch about 30% of the dirt (at best) I for one am staying away from them .

Anyway, I am conveying my own experience on the subject , and some expert advice I received from a REAL expert .
Take it for what it's worth . It's your car ,do with it as you please.
I for one will change my oil every 5k miles , regardless of what Porsche or MB or Audi recommends and will not use an oiled type filter .
If nothing else , I consider it cheap insurance.

Last edited by JCS; 04-29-2007 at 11:40 AM.