997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

how hard is it to change the oil yourself on the 997?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-09-2007, 04:25 PM
LIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant future
how hard is it to change the oil yourself on the 997?

please advise.
I have RhinoRamps, or not worth the trouble.

thanks!

Old 09-09-2007, 05:17 PM
dndodd is on a distinguished road
Very easy do a search you will find all the answers you need.

Old 09-09-2007, 05:48 PM
elh0102 is on a distinguished road
It's very easy, but you will want the car a bit more level than with the front on those ramps. If all I'm doing is changing oil, I usually just drive on four short homemade ramps (two layers of 2x12, so it's only about 3.5"). Often I will change oil while I'm doing brake pads and fluid, and I put the car on jack stands then.

Old 09-09-2007, 05:58 PM
Bimota is on a distinguished road
I put my car half way down my driveway on ramps (some what level), and the oil comes out like gang busters !!! A very easy task.

Old 09-09-2007, 06:06 PM
RonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond repute
My question is why?... I think I spent $90 for a dealer oil change and they assumed 100% of the risk (have had friends strip a drain plug -- guys that know what they are doing, but it happens), 100% of the labor (my time is worth more), and 100% of the material (no shopping for oil, going to the store for it, etc.), 100% of the disposal issue, etc. I know lots of guys like to work on their cars, but changing the oil doesn't make sense to me.

Last edited by RonCT; 09-09-2007 at 06:11 PM. Reason: Typo -- Hit 70 instead of 90.
Old 09-09-2007, 06:08 PM
v35
v35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond repute
$70 sounds great for an oil change, I can't find any place around here that would do it for anywhere NEAR that price.

Old 09-09-2007, 06:17 PM
LIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by RonCT
My question is why?... I think I spent $90 for a dealer oil change and they assumed 100% of the risk (have had friends strip a drain plug -- guys that know what they are doing, but it happens), 100% of the labor (my time is worth more), and 100% of the material (no shopping for oil, going to the store for it, etc.), 100% of the disposal issue, etc. I know lots of guys like to work on their cars, but changing the oil doesn't make sense to me.
Wish i could find a place 90$, they want 250$....
anyway, thanks guys.

raja

Old 09-09-2007, 06:19 PM
BoostJunkie is on a distinguished road
It's super easy, hardest part is disposing of 9 quarts of oil.

Old 09-09-2007, 06:31 PM
wizo is on a distinguished road
How often do you guys change the oil in your 997's

Reason I am asking is that Wednesday I have some warranty work being done on my car..(I bought it used). I believe he had done the oil service required but have no way to find out if that is true?
So i plan on doing it also-they want $450 for oil and check which I think is really high but they said they clear the body drains and such??
Do you think I should just ask for the oil change and see what that cost-(probably $250_) or just do the whole thing. Car has 26,500 miles on the odometer.

Old 09-09-2007, 06:31 PM
mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !
Ron my dealers charge $90+ just for labor...oil change is around $275-300. Heck the cost of the oil at Walmart $50.

Old 09-09-2007, 06:35 PM
Bimota is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by RonCT
You have a good point, but what if the mechanic changing your oil strips your drain plug ( think he'll tell his boss)or is breaking up with his girlfriend. Do you think he goes home in a 100,000 dollar car. Just like raising your kids, you can do a better job than anyone else in the whole wide world. I can change my oil faster than take it to the dealer.

Old 09-09-2007, 06:50 PM
seattle_sun is just really niceseattle_sun is just really niceseattle_sun is just really niceseattle_sun is just really nice
Its super easy. There is a good write up on rennlist in the 997 section with pictures. If you have a good torque wrench, you are not going to strip the drain plug.

RonCT, as someone who tracks their car, you have to admit that changing the oil is a lot less hassle than bleeding the brakes, changing the brakes, and changing wheels. It takes me 45 minutes to change the oil (20 minutes of that is waiting for the oil to drain)- much less time than going to a place and waiting. Changing the oil is the easiest thing you can do on your car, so if you like working on your car why wouldn't you? Although, I have to admit that I do change my oil after every two track events.

Last edited by seattle_sun; 09-09-2007 at 07:14 PM.
Old 09-09-2007, 07:06 PM
4thPorsche is on a distinguished road
I am a DIY guy and have changed the oil in other cars many times but I would rather spend my time doing something else at this point in my life. Disposing of the oil is a hassle. Pony up the $250 - $300 and forget about it. I get mine done when I am having other service performed so there is zero opportunity cost with my time.

Old 09-09-2007, 07:13 PM
seattle_sun is just really niceseattle_sun is just really niceseattle_sun is just really niceseattle_sun is just really nice
The question was, "how hard is it to change the oil", not, "is it worth my time to change the oil". Don't want to change the oil, then don't. Its not a religion. My wife thinks that spending 4 hrs to play golf is a waste of time.

Old 09-09-2007, 07:21 PM
4thPorsche is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by seattle_sun
The question was, "how hard is it to change the oil", not, "is it worth my time to change the oil". Don't want to change the oil, then don't. Its not a religion. My wife thinks that spending 4 hrs to play golf is a waste of time.
Responding to this jibberish is a not worth my time!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: how hard is it to change the oil yourself on the 997?