6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/)
-   997 (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/997-31/)
-   -   NAV-TV Bluetooth Adapter for 997 (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/997/99911-nav-tv-bluetooth-adapter-997-a.html)

jfr0317 09-28-2007 03:01 PM

NAV-TV Bluetooth Adapter for 997

I have just had a "Release Candidate" prototype Bluetooth adapter from NAV-TV installed in my 07 C2S. It connects into the MOST ring just as do the NAV-TV iPod adapter and Sirius satellite radio adapter that I previously had installed. The Bluetooth adapter allows control of a Bluetooth cell phone via the PCM's buttons and knobs, including initiating and answering calls using the "lift handset" button at the upper left of the PCM, hanging up via the "end call" button just to the right of that, dialing calls via the PCM numeric keypad, syncing the cell phone's phonebook such that it is accessible through the PCM, making calls from the synced phonebook, displaying incoming caller information on the PCM screen, muting the radio or CD during calls, etc. Call quality is excellent, as is the sound through the car's main speaker system.

The only flaw I have found with my adapter's software version is that it doesn't sync the cell phone's entire phonebook, just the first 60 or so entries. NAV-TV has just shipped me an updated adapter based on my feedback which should correct this one issue. I have paired both an iPhone and a Blackberry 8700 with the NAV-TV adapter with no other issues than the partial phonebook transfer. When I get the new adapter installed next week, I'll post whether or not it has cured this problem.

NAV-TV tells me the final version of the adapter should be ready for formal release through retail channels within the next month.

I had my Bluetooth adapter, as well as my satellite radio adapter and iPod adapter, installed by Custom Car Stereo in Houston, who did their usual excellent job. The Bluetooth adapter installation took well less than an hour.

I posted this same information over at Rennlist but thought it might also be of interest here. Glad to try to answer any questions.

notquitefob 09-28-2007 04:03 PM

One of the major complaints of the Dension bluetooth kit is the problem with microphone placement and volume. Have you experienced any similar problems with sound volume using the Nav-TV kit?

How much does the Ipod and Bluetooth kit cost? thanks

jfr0317 09-28-2007 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by notquitefob (Post 1370294)
One of the major complaints of the Dension bluetooth kit is the problem with microphone placement and volume. Have you experienced any similar problems with sound volume using the Nav-TV kit?

How much does the Ipod and Bluetooth kit cost? thanks

No problems at all with volume. My microphone is mounted to the driver's side of the panel above the rearview mirror that houses the Homelink buttons, reading lights, etc.

I'll have to double-check how much my iPod adapter was when I get home from my weekend trip. The Bluetooth adapter I have is a prototype piece and as such the amount I paid for it ($490 plus installation) is less than it is going to retail for, according to the Nav-TV guy from whom I bought it directly. How much less I don't know.

spyder997s 09-28-2007 05:57 PM

The interface sounds much better than the Dension since you can use the numerical buttons to dial on the PCM and transfer contacts into the phone book. Do you know if the microphone is noise-cancelling?

When you called someone from your car via bluetooth, what was their feedback to you regarding sound quality?

Thanks,

Mister PINK 09-28-2007 07:50 PM

this is very exciting please post some screen and install photos please.

jfr0317 09-29-2007 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by spyder997s (Post 1370473)
The interface sounds much better than the Dension since you can use the numerical buttons to dial on the PCM and transfer contacts into the phone book. Do you know if the microphone is noise-cancelling?

When you called someone from your car via bluetooth, what was their feedback to you regarding sound quality?

Thanks,

I don't know whether the microphone is noise cancelling, but I'll try to find out. I've had no complaints about sound quality from people I've called, but I'll make a point to ask some people to give me their specific evaluations of that.

I'm out of town this weekend, but I'll try to post some pictures of what the PCM screens look like when I get home.

jollyjolly 09-29-2007 03:49 PM

this sounds great! keep us posted.

jfr0317 09-30-2007 02:42 PM

3 Attachment(s)
As promised, some screen shots. Note that Nav-TV's name for the Bluetooth adapter is"Tooki". It's searching because my cell carrier's signal is not very strong in my garage.

Mister PINK 09-30-2007 04:04 PM

So to confirm you are actually able to dial using the numbers next to the screen? where did you porsche the kit?

Thanks.

jfr0317 09-30-2007 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by Mister PINK (Post 1373290)
So to confirm you are actually able to dial using the numbers next to the screen? where did you porsche the kit?

Thanks.

Yes. You can directly dial using the numeric keypad on the left side of the PCM. By "porsche the kit", I assume you mean where did I purchase it (although I like the idea of porsche and purchase being synonymous). I got the adapter directly from NaV-TV after having a telephone conversation with the head of Nav-TV after an exchange of emails. He says that the final version should be released through their retail distribution outlets within a month.

jfr0317 09-30-2007 05:08 PM

Just for clarification, I have no affiliation with Nav-TV, and I am not receiving any compensation for posting about the "Tooki" Bluetooth adapter. I'm just a Porsche buff who is also a gadget geek.

Maison 09-30-2007 05:30 PM

Looks like a very good alternative other than the Dension. Will it do dual duties, Ipod and Bluetooth, like the Dension? If so, I'm there!!

jfr0317 09-30-2007 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by Maison (Post 1373436)
Looks like a very good alternative other than the Dension. Will it do dual duties, Ipod and Bluetooth, like the Dension? If so, I'm there!!

No, it takes a separate (but compatible) iPod adapter to go along with the Bluetooth adapter. I have both as well as the Nav-TV Sirius Satellite Radio adapter. Other than the cost of having to buy three adapters, it works great, just as if they were factory options. With respect to the Dension, doesn't it require both the Gateway 500 for the iPod as well as a separate Bluetooth add-on that plugs into the Gateway 500? I think the difference (other than user interface and functionality) is that the Nav-TV devices all each hook directly into the MOST fiber optic ring whereas the Dension Gateway 500 hooks into the MOST ring, and the Dension Bluetooth Adapter then plugs into the Gateway 500.

larrytrk 09-30-2007 06:32 PM

I wonder how it is able to interface with the PCM , and preserve all the PCM phone functions , by just entering the FIOS loop? I thought the 666 option required a separate module that had to be installed in the PCM, not merely placed in the FIOS loop?

jfr0317 09-30-2007 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by larrytrk (Post 1373561)
I wonder how it is able to interface with the PCM , and preserve all the PCM phone functions , by just entering the FIOS loop? I thought the 666 option required a separate module that had to be installed in the PCM, not merely placed in the FIOS loop?

I would suggest you pose that question to Nav-TV via their "Contact Us" link on their website. I would guess that the adapter has the appropriate logic to communicate with the PCM in much the same manner as the iPod adapter and satellite radio adapters do. The Dension and Nav-TV iPod adapters both seem to utilize the PCM's logic for CD changers, and the Nav-TV satellite radio adapter similarly emulates the factory satellite radio module of the Cayenne to interface with the PCM, so I suppose it is doing something similar with the telephone function.