American Muscle Everything from a Cadillac Escalade to a new Ford GT to a classic C1 Corvette

For those that built a car, what do you wish you had done differently?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-01-2008, 11:15 AM
HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !
For those that built a car, what do you wish you had done differently?

I was driving home the other day and got to thinking about what I wish I had done differently w/ my '55 and there are a few things.

- Air Bagged it (when I started this car, airbagging was still pretty new and not very reliable...so I steered clear) I will most likely do this in the future still though

- Put an exotic motor in it (I forever wanted to do a turbo diesel, or something funky like a 2JZ)

- Used more suede and leather in the interior

- Different wheels (which I will fix)...I want to do some old painted steelies w/ some white walls real bad. Or atleast do some 20's in the back, 18's up front.

- I've always loved the color, but I will redo it one day to something a little more "Out there" LIke a sunburst orange or something of that sort. Although the dark color really shows how well we did the body panels, etc

Overall, i don't think I'll ever sell this car, but in another 5-10 years I'll do a complete overhaul (new suspension, paint, interior, etc)

Old 02-01-2008, 12:20 PM
DERBOOST is a glorious beacon of lightDERBOOST is a glorious beacon of lightDERBOOST is a glorious beacon of lightDERBOOST is a glorious beacon of lightDERBOOST is a glorious beacon of light
Ha-Ha......easy more motor. The only thing that I built that had to much motor was my Blown Alcohol Flatbottom, damn ungreatful thing almost killed me.....

Old 02-01-2008, 12:24 PM
Banned
HREMarc is on a distinguished road
I wish I had not sold any of them.
68 Chevelle 2 door malibu
67 SS #'s matching 396 4sp
63 deville conv, bagged on wide whites ( favorite)
65 Deville 2 dr hardtop 40k original miles(last year)
65 deville conv eldo
56 chevy 2 door hardtop belair
1972 blazer
1974 blazer, 19k original miles (5 years ago)

Old 02-01-2008, 12:34 PM
Renoir is on a distinguished road
I would've powder coated the interior and undercarraige, put a 5 speed and 427 stroker.

Old 02-01-2008, 12:35 PM
289FIA_Cobra is on a distinguished road
The topic is right up my alley. I finished builing my Factory Five Roadster around the end of 2006. After a year of driving a roadster, here are my list of "wish I had done.."

1) Bigger heater. The Mini-heater I got is just not enough for an open cockpit. Something 3x as powerful would be around right.

2) Electric Wiper; the MG style wipers are just too complex to set it "right"; it uses a single lone cable on two star-wheeled wiper assemblies (like rack and pinion) and it skips and is really rough; if it wasn't for the side pipes, the noise would probably drive me nuts! I will remedy this with a single electric wiper motor on the driver side.

3) Power Steering. Thank god I don't live in SF any more but parallel parking is a PITA with manual rack-n-pinion. Then again, my pecs do stay in shape!

4) Power brakes; the car stops very well in manual but on a hill, I always feel I have to push harder at a standstill. I've grown too use to the power assisted brakes on my daily drivers. I may retro fit them in with a proportioning valve so I can dial it as needed.

5) Motor: too new to think about rebuilding it; it was fun the 2nd time; a turbo diesel is a thought. Great torque but a car like mine uses more HP. My current 347 is a mild tuned 355hp/385ft-lbs. I know there's 50+ hp lurking in the cam and/or heads but I actually like the way it runs on the streets. Easy to live with. My alternative is a high-winding 302 (7,000RPM); since torque isn't required much on a 2500lb. car, HP would be key and having a turbo would certainly help beyond 3K.

Old 02-01-2008, 01:49 PM
Fastback is on a distinguished road
Built my T-Bird in the early 90's. It was cool at the time, but now it's dated. What would I change? Everything, except the color, transmission and rear. In fact I'm already working on it...

I went from Eibach springs to full coilovers

Added boxed upper and lower control arms, adjustable caster/camber plates, poly bushings and beefier sway bars.

From stock brakes to SN -95 brakes, but now have decided that it isn't enough so I'm going to Cobra brakes, front and rear.

Re-shooting the body, still silver, but adding a TurboCoupe hood. My painter is trying to convince me to two-tone it. Originally, I was resisting, but now I think I might consider it.

Changing wheels and tires from 16" Billet Welds to some kind of Torque Thrust type design in 18" (wheel choice not fully decided yet).

And last but not least, I'm going to supercharge my 331.

They're never done

Old 02-01-2008, 01:57 PM
HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 289FIA_Cobra

5) Motor: too new to think about rebuilding it; it was fun the 2nd time; a turbo diesel is a thought. Great torque but a car like mine uses more HP. My current 347 is a mild tuned 355hp/385ft-lbs. I know there's 50+ hp lurking in the cam and/or heads but I actually like the way it runs on the streets. Easy to live with. My alternative is a high-winding 302 (7,000RPM); since torque isn't required much on a 2500lb. car, HP would be key and having a turbo would certainly help beyond 3K.
I hear ya, the motor currently in it is a fully built 406" that puts down good power but yet is a very reliable driver (abotu 400/400)

I always just thought a Turbo Diesel would make people go WHAT THE F!!K

Old 02-01-2008, 06:55 PM
Banned
Staff@RPM will become famous soon enough
Hi, I would have done twin turbos and not the way to aggressive cam. I am thinking of putting a 3 valved v10 in a mid 90s mustang and of course twin turbos!
Tim

Old 02-01-2008, 07:23 PM
WearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond repute
Power steering on my next cobra, 325's front slicks are hard to turn in a parking lot or well even at speed.

FI, I hate 5mpg in blown motors with big carbs. Plus they are impossible to tune.
+ Bigger gas tank and a reliable gauge.

Better street ratio in the rear end, high rpm on the freeway is a pain. Quick change is not as quick as you think.

Better seats.

Old 02-05-2008, 02:40 PM
AaronK is a jewel in the roughAaronK is a jewel in the roughAaronK is a jewel in the roughAaronK is a jewel in the rough
I wish I would've hired a designer to help me with the interior. I plan on redoing it eventually. Also, I wish I would've gone with a stouter overdrive transmission. I have the feeling my stage II will not hold up to the HP/Torque. My only other regrets are hiring people I thought were reputable who turned out to be asshats. Could've made a nice bonfire with the cash I lost with them.

Old 02-07-2008, 10:44 AM
lol, that's part of the game. I can't tell you how much money i've wasted with people I thought and was told were reputable.

The guys we had chop our suburban literally set fire to their shop...said my suburban was in it and didn't make it. Only to find out that my suburban was sitting in their home garage.

Old 02-07-2008, 08:19 PM
jamheg1101 is on a distinguished road
Hmm where to begin. The biggest lesson is doing things right the first time. Crhomoly first rather than a mild steel chassis is the biggest regret.