American Muscle Everything from a Cadillac Escalade to a new Ford GT to a classic C1 Corvette

1965 Lincoln Continental

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-29-2008, 04:15 PM
CharlieH313 is on a distinguished road
Old 02-29-2008, 04:27 PM
PHIL2 is on a distinguished road
That Mobsteel One Is Sick As Hell!

Old 03-01-2008, 08:17 PM
AutoDose is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by JOSG328I
That Mobsteel car is sick but it will cost you some change. If money is no option hell yeah.
Yeah they are definitely not cheap. I remember talking to Adam the owner and he was telling me that his cars usually start at about 85k and if I remember correctly the Heavy Hitter was about 150K. Although I have heard the resale value isn't bad..a few of the people that sold theirs either made a little money or broke even.

If you eventually end up decided to dump the car I would give them a call..I know that they are always looking for clean donor cars.

Old 03-02-2008, 12:00 PM
karmakvisser is on a distinguished road
restoration costs vs buying a good one

Originally Posted by CharlieH313
I've been sitting on this old 65' Lincoln Continental (yes the suicide doors) for awhile and I've been debating whether or not to restore or to just dump it. First off I wonder if anyone could recommend a good mechanic in the Orange County, CA area to get this thing looked at to see if the motor is any good. Any suggestions?
I have a 64 Lincoln Continental convertible and debate this same question. I think what you need to realistically consider is restoration vs selling and buying a decent one to start with.

Personally, especially if its a convertible, IMHO you would be better off selling and finding one that has the work already done. If its a sedan, that's another question. All the parts are avalable, its just a matter of finding them at places like lincolnland.com or bakers.com. There is also a great lincoln resource http://www.thelincolnforum.net/phpbb3/ That is a group of guys where some have 40/50 years experience playing with Lincolns. Just like here, do a little research before posting newbie questions. They are a great group of enthusiasts that have helped me out significantly.

You can pick up 60's sedans pretty cheap. (IMHO 64' and 65's are the best years - 3 inches longer then the earlier models and before the ugly front end design change)

As an example on costs: window switches for for 50 to 60 bucks a pop and there are 9 off them in the car. A power steering pump is around 400 bucks if your core is good enough to be rebuilt.

What's cool about these cars is that they are all mechanical meaning you can work on them yourself. But with the convertible, there are over 20 motors and solinoids and switches working the top. Its a monster when stuff doesn't go right.

Best of luck making your decision. One thing for sure, these are extremely cool cars, you won't get too many tickets in them but they draw a crowd and look way cool when customized.

ken

Old 03-03-2008, 03:47 PM
CharlieH313 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by karmakvisser
I have a 64 Lincoln Continental convertible and debate this same question. I think what you need to realistically consider is restoration vs selling and buying a decent one to start with.

Personally, especially if its a convertible, IMHO you would be better off selling and finding one that has the work already done. If its a sedan, that's another question. All the parts are avalable, its just a matter of finding them at places like lincolnland.com or bakers.com. There is also a great lincoln resource http://www.thelincolnforum.net/phpbb3/ That is a group of guys where some have 40/50 years experience playing with Lincolns. Just like here, do a little research before posting newbie questions. They are a great group of enthusiasts that have helped me out significantly.

You can pick up 60's sedans pretty cheap. (IMHO 64' and 65's are the best years - 3 inches longer then the earlier models and before the ugly front end design change)

As an example on costs: window switches for for 50 to 60 bucks a pop and there are 9 off them in the car. A power steering pump is around 400 bucks if your core is good enough to be rebuilt.

What's cool about these cars is that they are all mechanical meaning you can work on them yourself. But with the convertible, there are over 20 motors and solinoids and switches working the top. Its a monster when stuff doesn't go right.

Best of luck making your decision. One thing for sure, these are extremely cool cars, you won't get too many tickets in them but they draw a crowd and look way cool when customized.

ken

Thanks for the info Ken. It is a tough decision and a part of me does want to keep it and just really dive in to this project. You're definitely right the 64' and 65's are the best years. I'll keep you posted on what I end up doing. For now the T-rex has a lot of my attention.

Old 03-04-2008, 12:41 PM
vdavie is on a distinguished road
Lincoln

I have been looking for about 6 months for one of these. There seems to be a lot of junk out there. Looking for a black hard top. Having a hell of a time finding one that has very nice paint and body. When they are bagged with some nice gun metal colored rims, tint ect.. they look cool. If anybody knows of a nice black one please let me know.

Thanks,
Vince

Old 06-26-2013, 11:31 PM
1965 lowlife is on a distinguished road
1965 lincoln continental

hey guys, i just purchased a 1965 Lincoln continental and tonight i noticed that the passenger side and driver side door running lights are stuck on and wont turn off. any ideas on how to fix this so they are only on when the door is open. thanks. Roland.

Old 07-01-2013, 12:29 PM
HowlerMonkey is infamous around these partsHowlerMonkey is infamous around these partsHowlerMonkey is infamous around these parts
The "MEL" engines can make some good horsepower but they have a lot of quirks such as a crankshaft mounted power steering pump and the car's have some bizarre calipers that are pretty rare now.

Due to the rarity and expense of original parts, it might be a whole lot cheaper to do a custom much like the ones pictured above than a full restoration though most I've seen have a modern engine.

That decision depends on the general condition of the car.

If I owned it, I would go with a custom/hot rod but leave the body stock and keep the stock 430 and some big (but tasteful) wheels.

Those cars are chock full of equipment that is most likely non-functional by now and a "clean up" would really help one out but much of that depends on the owner's ability to do as much work as possible to keep costs down.

If you have huge money, then you have many more options such as fitting a 430 super marauder intake system with 3 carbs.