American Muscle Everything from a Cadillac Escalade to a new Ford GT to a classic C1 Corvette

z06 vs 348

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-13-2008, 09:45 AM
mdurbahn has much to be proud ofmdurbahn has much to be proud ofmdurbahn has much to be proud ofmdurbahn has much to be proud ofmdurbahn has much to be proud ofmdurbahn has much to be proud ofmdurbahn has much to be proud ofmdurbahn has much to be proud ofmdurbahn has much to be proud of
z06 vs 348

anyone here own a f348/355 and a c5z? I am trying to decide on which one to get and would like to here from people that have or have had both to hear opinion on them

Old 09-13-2008, 10:46 AM
SINISTR has a spectacular aura aboutSINISTR has a spectacular aura aboutSINISTR has a spectacular aura about
Kinda apples and oranges bud. While the C5 ZO6 will have better performance, the 355 is an icon!

Old 09-13-2008, 10:49 AM
DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !
First things first, Scratch the 348 off the list, its not even close to the 355.

that being said, I have owned a 355F1, great car. The downside it will make a nervous wreck. Everything seems to be $3000, valve jobs, clutches etc..expensive car to own, but a wonderful drive. I havent owned a vette, so cant say much. If you want performance, get the Z06, if you want a exotic, get the 355.

Old 09-13-2008, 12:29 PM
mdurbahn has much to be proud ofmdurbahn has much to be proud ofmdurbahn has much to be proud ofmdurbahn has much to be proud ofmdurbahn has much to be proud ofmdurbahn has much to be proud ofmdurbahn has much to be proud ofmdurbahn has much to be proud ofmdurbahn has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by deepblue
First things first, Scratch the 348 off the list, its not even close to the 355.

that being said, I have owned a 355F1, great car. The downside it will make a nervous wreck. Everything seems to be $3000, valve jobs, clutches etc..expensive car to own, but a wonderful drive. I havent owned a vette, so cant say much. If you want performance, get the Z06, if you want a exotic, get the 355.
Thanks for the response, How do you like the 355 compared to you tt 996? I talked to you at a car cruise this summer when you had it there (i had a green 930). I have a weird list of cars I am looking at for my new purchase since I sold my 930. Here they are in no order,

1. Older z06-reasons i like it, I think they look good, they are really fast, cheap and I could mod the **** out of it. Probably won't have to worry too much where I park it and if I should drive it to work etc. Cons to me are, they are everywhere.

2. Ferrari 348/355- I say 348 or 355 but realistically the 355 is probably going to cost too much unless I found a really good deal. I have seen a few 348's in the price range I wouldn't mind being in. The reason I want one of those cars is because that was the poster in my bedroom growing up and with a tubi exhaust it is the best sounding car ever made imo. Cons to me are, would be nervous wherever I drove it, they are expensive to buy and maintain, no one works on ferrari's themselves?, can't really see much of an aftermarket performance market for them, and performance wise a 348 is kinda slow.

3. Jeep Wrangler-rock crawling in colorado is actually pretty fun. They are cheap, cons not a sports car.

4. Cuda-Pro-touring 70-74 cuda with 5.7 efi hemi project car.-cons, lots of work and hard to find.

5. Porsche Turbo- Miss the 930 would get another that is modded out with efi or a 964t maybe....

My whole list is apples to oranges, I like each different car for a different reason.

Old 09-13-2008, 07:03 PM
Banned
Cornfed is a jewel in the roughCornfed is a jewel in the roughCornfed is a jewel in the roughCornfed is a jewel in the rough
I have enjoyed my time with my Vette FRC and the mods I have done make it worth keeping. You could also buy a nice GTS viper for 38K. 96-99 GTS cars had forged motors and you can force a ton of power out of them.

Old 09-13-2008, 09:56 PM
DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !
Yep, I remember you and your 930. The 996tt is completely different from the 355F1- night and day, apples and oranges. There are 2 things about the Ferrari- the engine sound is intoxicating- find a tunnel and redline through it- sounds like an F1 race. The other is the attention, this could be good or bad.

However, back in the real world, the Porsche is allot easier car to own and built a hell of a lot stouter.

Your reasoning on the Z06 is on the money, from the factory, hard to beat. (but there is always someone faster).

The 348 is slow, a stock NSX will handily beat it. Nice car, but slow and even more of a maintenance issue than the 355- for fun, call around and ask about maintenance intervals and costs.

You have a huge delta in car genres to choose from. Depends what you want to do with it- search your soul, heart and checkbook and then go for it.

Feel free to ask whatever, whenever, always glad to help.

Originally Posted by mdurbahn
Thanks for the response, How do you like the 355 compared to you tt 996? I talked to you at a car cruise this summer when you had it there (i had a green 930). I have a weird list of cars I am looking at for my new purchase since I sold my 930. Here they are in no order,

1. Older z06-reasons i like it, I think they look good, they are really fast, cheap and I could mod the **** out of it. Probably won't have to worry too much where I park it and if I should drive it to work etc. Cons to me are, they are everywhere.

2. Ferrari 348/355- I say 348 or 355 but realistically the 355 is probably going to cost too much unless I found a really good deal. I have seen a few 348's in the price range I wouldn't mind being in. The reason I want one of those cars is because that was the poster in my bedroom growing up and with a tubi exhaust it is the best sounding car ever made imo. Cons to me are, would be nervous wherever I drove it, they are expensive to buy and maintain, no one works on ferrari's themselves?, can't really see much of an aftermarket performance market for them, and performance wise a 348 is kinda slow.

3. Jeep Wrangler-rock crawling in colorado is actually pretty fun. They are cheap, cons not a sports car.

4. Cuda-Pro-touring 70-74 cuda with 5.7 efi hemi project car.-cons, lots of work and hard to find.

5. Porsche Turbo- Miss the 930 would get another that is modded out with efi or a 964t maybe....

My whole list is apples to oranges, I like each different car for a different reason.

Old 09-14-2008, 09:48 AM
ahh yes the viper gts is now on my list too!!

Originally Posted by Cornfed
I have enjoyed my time with my Vette FRC and the mods I have done make it worth keeping. You could also buy a nice GTS viper for 38K. 96-99 GTS cars had forged motors and you can force a ton of power out of them.

Old 09-14-2008, 05:16 PM
96BeaSSt is infamous around these parts
I can't speak for the other cars, but the mod bug will hit you VERY hard on the Z06. You will NOT be able to leave well enough alone. There are hundreds of options to chose from on how you want to modify your car, and individually, they are priced very reasonable. At the same time, the Z06 responds very well to these modifications, I've already increased my RWHP by 50 for less money than some of the maintenance items listed for the 355, and I can still drive it daily. If I wanted to equal a $3000 maintenance for the 355, I'll be able to move into the 470 RWHP range. By the way, I'm NOT using nitrous.

Good luck with whatever choice you make.

Old 09-14-2008, 06:56 PM
Banned
Cornfed is a jewel in the roughCornfed is a jewel in the roughCornfed is a jewel in the roughCornfed is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by mdurbahn
ahh yes the viper gts is now on my list too!!
They also turn heads as if you spent a lot more $$$.

Old 09-14-2008, 10:09 PM
Dino V is just really niceDino V is just really niceDino V is just really niceDino V is just really niceDino V is just really nice
I say go out and test drive each car and see which one puts the bigger smile on your face. See which one you like the most and that's all that matters.

Old 11-23-2008, 07:17 PM
UPDATE-

After looking for a couple months at all the cars on my list I ended up with a 96 GTS with 18k on it. ( And to think I wasn't even considering vipers before I started this thread, thanks cornfed!)

Here is a picture:

Now it is bone stock, but I'm sure it won't stay that way for too long..

Old 11-23-2008, 07:41 PM
empunker is a glorious beacon of lightempunker is a glorious beacon of lightempunker is a glorious beacon of lightempunker is a glorious beacon of lightempunker is a glorious beacon of light
nice, congrats! I always liked the Viper GTS. tons of torque!

Old 11-23-2008, 10:18 PM
SVTdubs is infamous around these parts
where in co are you? Im in ftc and am looking to meet more car guys after moving here from chicago

Old 11-24-2008, 12:54 AM
humveelat is infamous around these parts
Very nice viper...I love the color of it. Very nice and attractive.

Old 11-25-2008, 04:26 PM
Originally Posted by SVTdubs
where in co are you? Im in ftc and am looking to meet more car guys after moving here from chicago
denver/lakewood -pm'd you

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: z06 vs 348