American Muscle Everything from a Cadillac Escalade to a new Ford GT to a classic C1 Corvette

Modded 2009 ZR1 Video: 581 rwhp & 599 rw tq

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-09-2009, 03:58 AM
flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Almo
I still think 15% are right on the money in my opinion. Viarable 2% might be the cars are running a bit rich. I have yet to see stock numbers over 550. (520 to 540s). Getting ready to check all your threads out though.
I guess I really don't care all that much.

I was really just thinking it was funny someone actually makes a "700 kit" for a car that puts out 638hp in stock form.

Old 01-09-2009, 04:12 AM
Almo has a brilliant futureAlmo has a brilliant futureAlmo has a brilliant futureAlmo has a brilliant futureAlmo has a brilliant futureAlmo has a brilliant futureAlmo has a brilliant futureAlmo has a brilliant futureAlmo has a brilliant futureAlmo has a brilliant futureAlmo has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by flash68
I guess I really don't care all that much.

I was really just thinking it was funny someone actually makes a "700 kit" for a car that puts out 638hp in stock form.
Haha... believe they are referring to the 700 similar to how all the Euros report. BHP... If so, the 700 might be close and they most likely tossed a pulley on it otherwise I am with you, the numbers don't make sense.

For this thread... I believe they stated a pulley swap adding a little over a bar of boost, headers, high flow cats and tune is delivering 51 rwhp, 581 - 51 puts the car back in the 530 range and that is more like 16% to 17%.

Either way, doesn't really matter... someone willing to take the boost to 18 or 19 on 93 octane is going to be walking around with a tighter *** than most.

Last edited by Almo; 01-09-2009 at 04:21 AM.
Old 01-09-2009, 06:47 AM
richtor is on a distinguished road
I still think 15% is right on the money in my opinion. Viarable 2% might be the cars are running a bit rich. I have yet to see stock numbers over 550. (520 to 540s). Getting ready to check all your threads out though. From what I have read... tinkered with it isn't showing SAE engine dyno through the wheels on a Dyno Jet. They're hitting the street a bit rich so tinkering could be, adding a couple degrees and leaning it out and getting a quick 40 to the wheels. Perfect example based off what your saying is this thread... 581, MODDED puts the cars at your stated DT loss.
thats too high. no driveshaft ~ less loss of horsepower.

Old 01-09-2009, 08:21 AM
Almo has a brilliant futureAlmo has a brilliant futureAlmo has a brilliant futureAlmo has a brilliant futureAlmo has a brilliant futureAlmo has a brilliant futureAlmo has a brilliant futureAlmo has a brilliant futureAlmo has a brilliant futureAlmo has a brilliant futureAlmo has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by richtor
thats too high. no driveshaft ~ less loss of horsepower.
Like I said, take the post in this thread for example. Base numbers show 530... you can do the drive train loss math to 638.

Not to mention... we are still talking about an independent rear here... unless the tranny/diff gears are cryo'ed then not a chance drive train loss is around 10%.

Last edited by Almo; 01-09-2009 at 08:29 AM.
Old 01-09-2009, 04:12 PM
TT 955 is on a distinguished road
581rwhp is good 599rwtq is damn good....what was done for the extra ponies???

Old 01-09-2009, 04:35 PM
Originally Posted by TT 955
581rwhp is good 599rwtq is damn good....what was done for the extra ponies???
14 pound pulley swap, headers, high flow cats and tune.

I believe after some are broken in at 18 pounds of boost, the ZR will put down very close to 700 to the wheels no problem.

Old 01-09-2009, 09:05 PM
ORYX has much to be proud ofORYX has much to be proud ofORYX has much to be proud ofORYX has much to be proud ofORYX has much to be proud ofORYX has much to be proud ofORYX has much to be proud ofORYX has much to be proud ofORYX has much to be proud of
I still think 15% is right on the money in my opinion. Viarable 2% might be the cars are running a bit rich. I have yet to see stock numbers over 550. (520 to 540s). Getting ready to check all your threads out though. From what I have read... tinkered with it isn't showing SAE engine dyno through the wheels on a Dyno Jet. They're hitting the street a bit rich so tinkering could be, adding a couple degrees and leaning it out and getting a quick 40 to the wheels. Perfect example based off what your saying is this thread... 581, MODDED puts the cars at your stated DT loss.
Well gosh with that kind of logic, I would love to be your tuner. I would sell you a package that made 500 rwhp and tell you it made 700 hp because there was a 29% drivetrain loss.

Old 01-10-2009, 01:22 AM
flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !
14 pound pulley swap, headers, high flow cats and tune.

I believe after some are broken in at 18 pounds of boost, the ZR will put down very close to 700 to the wheels no problem.
I don't know what the price of this "700" kit is, but based on those parts/labor, I am certain it's a pretty bad horsepower per dollar offer.

Old 01-10-2009, 01:29 AM
Originally Posted by ORYX
Well gosh with that kind of logic, I would love to be your tuner. I would sell you a package that made 500 rwhp and tell you it made 700 hp because there was a 29% drivetrain loss.

LOL, I have always wanted to mod a dump truck. It it quite simple, stock ZR are putting down 530 to 540s. Please enlighten us with what you feel is their drive train loss? This thread shows a modded ZR with baseline numbers and both off baseline are equating to 16% to 17% drive train loss.

I would be the first to tell someone to screw a BHP number and even a peak HP number from the dyno because that and $1 will get you a paper cut and maybe a coffee these days. Numbers under the curve is where it matters. :P

Back to your comment, show me how they aren't on par off of baseline numbers stating 581 is 700 at the crank?

Last edited by Almo; 01-10-2009 at 01:36 AM.
Old 01-10-2009, 01:33 AM
Originally Posted by flash68
I don't know what the price of this "700" kit is, but based on those parts/labor, I am certain it's a pretty bad horsepower per dollar offer.

I agree 100% with you! The numbers from ZRs aren't doing it for me at all. For example, those mods on a little 281 CI engine under FI would yield 80 to 100 rwhp. Yes a 4V 281 but still, scratching my head still.

Oh and I would call it Euro pricing and statment of gains crossing over into the Domestic side of the house.

Last edited by Almo; 01-10-2009 at 01:43 AM.
Old 01-10-2009, 01:43 AM
ORYX has much to be proud ofORYX has much to be proud ofORYX has much to be proud ofORYX has much to be proud ofORYX has much to be proud ofORYX has much to be proud ofORYX has much to be proud ofORYX has much to be proud ofORYX has much to be proud of
LOL, I have always wanted to mod a dump truck. It it quite simple, stock ZR are putting down 530 to 540s. Please enlighten us with what you feel is their drive train loss? This thread shows a modded ZR with baseline numbers and both off baseline are equating to 16% to 17% drive train loss.

I would be the first to tell someone to screw a BHP number and even a peak HP number from the dyno because that and $1 will get you a paper cut and maybe a coffee these days. Numbers under the curve is where it matters. :P

Back to your comment, show me how they aren't on par off of baseline numbers stating 581 is 700 at the crank?
I know quite a few tuners in the Houston area with dynojets, including Mr. Hennessey and all of them have said 12-13% drivetrain loss is the norm for a typical manual car, they use 16-17% for automatics. However, continue to live in your fantasy world.

Old 01-10-2009, 01:54 AM
I know quite a few tuners in the Houston area with dynojets, including Mr. Hennessey and all of them have said 12-13% drivetrain loss is the norm for a typical manual car, they use 16-17% for automatics. However, continue to live in your fantasy world.

LOL then I bet they will tell you they are scratching their heads too trying to figure out why numbers seem to be low. They are showing a bit more drive train loss. Hence why I think 15% is more like the norm on the ZR so it seems.

So all manuals put down 12% to 13% huh? LOL. I believe you might want to ask them again to clarify so you aren't making them look bad on the web. LOL.

Wow, who else do you know?

Last edited by Almo; 01-10-2009 at 01:59 AM.
Old 01-10-2009, 02:23 AM
ORYX,

Still waiting on you to answer post 24?

I believe even Mr. H would tell you your previous post came off ignorant as the numbers don't lie. :/

Last edited by Almo; 01-10-2009 at 02:25 AM.
Old 01-10-2009, 01:55 PM
Hmmm. Let's try this again and real slow like, so you can understand. The car d-y-n-o-e-d 581 rwhp. I stated that most of the tuners I know consider 12-13% dt loss to be the norm, which would put the figure @ approximately 665-670 flywheel hp. Manufacturers and tuners sometimes embelish their figures because it sounds good for marketing purposes. For instance, Mercedes makes a new 6.2 liter motor but calls it a 6.3 to keep in line with tradition. I know Hennessey is fully capable of making this car hit 700 hp or more. You are the one throwing around 16-17% in your earlier post.

Old 01-10-2009, 03:32 PM
Hmmm. Let's try this again and real slow like, so you can understand. The car d-y-n-o-e-d 581 rwhp. I stated that most of the tuners I know consider 12-13% dt loss to be the norm, which would put the figure @ approximately 665-670 flywheel hp. Manufacturers and tuners sometimes embelish their figures because it sounds good for marketing purposes. For instance, Mercedes makes a new 6.2 liter motor but calls it a 6.3 to keep in line with tradition. I know Hennessey is fully capable of making this car hit 700 hp or more. You are the one throwing around 16-17% in your earlier post.

LOL, go back and read I stated for this car I believe 15% looks to be on for the DT loss. You still didn't answer my question. What is the DT loss for the 530 basline pull this
ZR put down?

Last edited by Almo; 01-10-2009 at 04:31 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Modded 2009 ZR1 Video: 581 rwhp & 599 rw tq