American Muscle Everything from a Cadillac Escalade to a new Ford GT to a classic C1 Corvette

New DD - CTS-V or M5

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-05-2009, 04:21 PM
AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !
New DD - CTS-V or M5

Looking to get a new daily driver. I am trying to decide between the new 556HP supercharged Cadillac CTS-V and the 500HP V10 BMW M5. I have not driven either car yet. A friend has the M5 and I will have a chance in the near future to test drive it. I also know where there is a CTS-V for sale that I should be able to test drive.

At this point I would say it is down to these two cars. Let me know your thoughts or comparisons.

Old 10-06-2009, 02:41 AM
flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !
tough call... i like both of these options as DD but have not driven either yet. i gotta think that CTS-V has some great grunt and tons more torque than that V10.

Old 10-06-2009, 09:09 AM
BAD ASS TA WS6 is a glorious beacon of lightBAD ASS TA WS6 is a glorious beacon of lightBAD ASS TA WS6 is a glorious beacon of lightBAD ASS TA WS6 is a glorious beacon of lightBAD ASS TA WS6 is a glorious beacon of light
Tough call. '10 is the last year for the V10 E60 M5. After that they will be TTV8s such as the current X5M and X6M.

Don't know if it will affect resale value, but the current E60 is a great car. '08+ is the one to have.

Of course the Caddy is a brute, and styling is on par as well. Decisions, decisions...

Old 10-06-2009, 11:00 AM
tony tone is a splendid one to beholdtony tone is a splendid one to beholdtony tone is a splendid one to beholdtony tone is a splendid one to beholdtony tone is a splendid one to beholdtony tone is a splendid one to beholdtony tone is a splendid one to beholdtony tone is a splendid one to behold
discussed many times on here and mostly has been leaned towards a cts-v.

a cts-v would be perfect for me rather then the slower, harder to mod, more expensive M5.

Old 10-06-2009, 11:28 AM
acr-c is on a distinguished road
CTS-V all the way. Cheaper, easier to mod by far, BIG warranty, more reliable, etc. I haven't driven the new CTS-V, but my little '04 CTS-V with the Maggie is plenty fun.

I have driven the E60 M5 at speed and would say that it is just too sterile and detached for my taste. I had a full Dinan M5 (prior generation) which I loved for its brutish power and feel. The new M5 doesn't have that feel to me.

Christian

Old 10-06-2009, 01:49 PM
AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !
Thanks everyone for the input. I should have a chance to drive both cars this weekend.

Old 10-07-2009, 01:32 PM
Surfer is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by acr-c
CTS-V all the way. Cheaper, easier to mod by far, BIG warranty, more reliable, etc. I haven't driven the new CTS-V, but my little '04 CTS-V with the Maggie is plenty fun.

I have driven the E60 M5 at speed and would say that it is just too sterile and detached for my taste. I had a full Dinan M5 (prior generation) which I loved for its brutish power and feel. The new M5 doesn't have that feel to me.

Christian
I agree, I never cared for the E60 M5, and I've driven both modded SMG and 6 speed ones. BUT I loved the more brute/raw feel of the E39 M5 and would take that car hands down over the E60 even though its slower.

For the OP, CTS-V all the way, looking at one as well for daily. Neighbor has an auto 09' V, awesome awesome car, so smooth and powerful, looks agressive and the quality is excellent. Recaro seats are soooooo nice, very supportive but comfortable as well.

Old 10-07-2009, 03:36 PM
Fubar has a spectacular aura aboutFubar has a spectacular aura about
I traded my '06 M6 for an '09 V. The V10 is difficult to use as a DD (IMHO). It requires lots of RPM to get power. I found myself pealing off 4 gears to pass people. The V has buckets and buckets of torque. The automatic transmission in the V is a 'real' auto not F1 shifter, so it is much smoother (again, IMO but I have owned both). The suspension is a least equal when the V is in sport mode... and it feels like a caddy when you are in touring mode. The M6 is sexier than the V but I can't say the same about the M5. Fit and finish on the BMW were superior.

All in all, I'd the say V was a A+ daily driver and a C+ sports car. The M6 was a C- / B.

Old 10-07-2009, 03:58 PM
Former Vendor
D2FORGED is a name known to allD2FORGED is a name known to allD2FORGED is a name known to allD2FORGED is a name known to allD2FORGED is a name known to allD2FORGED is a name known to all
As a daily, I think the CTS would be the way to go. For a curve carving scream I'd say M5

Old 10-07-2009, 05:48 PM
Nine Ball has much to be proud ofNine Ball has much to be proud ofNine Ball has much to be proud ofNine Ball has much to be proud ofNine Ball has much to be proud ofNine Ball has much to be proud ofNine Ball has much to be proud ofNine Ball has much to be proud ofNine Ball has much to be proud of
I've driven both, and would not hesitate to pick up the new CTS-V. Strangely, I'd even say the CTS-V has more exclusivity. I see far fewer '08+ CTS Caddys on the road than I do 5-series BMW's. The CTS-V with a pulley swap, tune, and catback becomes a mid-11 second car on regular non-drag tires.

Old 10-07-2009, 07:05 PM
ranger66 is on a distinguished road
I am in the same situation. I want a cool 4 door family car and these are the two that I like. I think the V would be a better daily driver and wow factor car. The M5's are a little more understated style wise at this point. As others have said you can't lose either way. I am thinking I will get the V once I figure out how to bring it home and not get divorced. lol

Old 10-07-2009, 11:32 PM
Originally Posted by ranger66
I am in the same situation. I want a cool 4 door family car and these are the two that I like. I think the V would be a better daily driver and wow factor car. The M5's are a little more understated style wise at this point. As others have said you can't lose either way. I am thinking I will get the V once I figure out how to bring it home and not get divorced. lol
The wife wants the CTS-V so I don't have to worry about a divorce.

Old 10-08-2009, 01:45 AM
pondjumper will become famous soon enoughpondjumper will become famous soon enough
cts-v hands down. Cheaper, faster, and more reliable.

Old 10-13-2009, 03:19 PM
Steve565 is on a distinguished road
CTS-V without a doubt

I just got an 09' CTS-V 2 weeks ago, took it to the NC mountains today and this car is scary fast. But it also has great brakes, and suspension. It is a fantastic car. I had a 07' Mercedes e63, it had 507 hp, but it doesn't come close to this beast. Fantastic car, now I just hope I can keep my license.

Old 10-13-2009, 05:40 PM
1sleeper will become famous soon enough1sleeper will become famous soon enough
Wow, amazing how much more objective the responses are in here! The same question in a different forum didnt yield such good guidance. I would like to add I was walking down the street by my office yesterday and I saw a CTS-V (new) sitting in stopped traffic. Looked really nice. Caddy or not, it's got a great aggressive stance and sounds sweet. I also have to agree with another poster, I almost never see them around. Plus the semi sleeper aspect (Non M BMW).

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: New DD - CTS-V or M5