American Muscle Everything from a Cadillac Escalade to a new Ford GT to a classic C1 Corvette

Zr1

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-05-2010, 10:15 AM
NelsonF is a splendid one to beholdNelsonF is a splendid one to beholdNelsonF is a splendid one to beholdNelsonF is a splendid one to beholdNelsonF is a splendid one to beholdNelsonF is a splendid one to beholdNelsonF is a splendid one to beholdNelsonF is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by EricR
I read your first post then a couple of others and decided to post. The reason being your comment regarding "will the ZR1 keep your interest in a year". You just sold a 2010 GTR that did not hold your attention. Have you ever owned a vette period would be my first question. They are great cars but get slammed by first time owners because they do not have all the refinements that European cars have. And that is exactly the point. You can by a porsche at the same price with a nice interior but the vette will out perform it. Why? Because Chevy does not put the money into the interiors and creature comforts. They put it into performance. To equal or exceed the Corvette performance level, one would have to spend a whole lot more just to keep the nice interior. The real question to me is why doesn't everyone else offer a stripped down version of their car instead of Chevy having to add comfort which will move the price up. So why did you give up the other two cars? There was something that did not hold your interest and I suspect it was more than reliabilty concerns with the GTR. Maybe the ZR1 wouldn't hold your interest either as just a daily street car. There are far better options out there if that is all you plan to use it for and not just bragging rights.
Yes, I've owned Vettes (C4/5) and have always liked the performance for $ aspect-always liked their looks. The ZR1 seems to be the pinicle of the design to date-I've heard some great things about it. I also like sweet handling performance cars and refinement. You are right about the GTR-had a great ownership experience and it actually amazed me with it's performance-especially with mods. However, I had concerns about reliability as I'd probably continue to mod.(not that I'd keep it that long anyway). As mentioned previously, I have A.D.D. when it comes to cars and it takes something special(a very subjective and complicated word when it comes to cars) to hold my attention for long especially with all the hot cars available lately. So far, Porsche GT cars and various M cars from BMW have fit the bill. However, I remain open-minded about other possibilities. The ZR1 seems like such a great all around performance car I can't help but consider it. While it will be used primarily on the street, I'll likely track it a couple times a year. What are the far better options you mention in the same relative price range?

Old 05-05-2010, 11:32 AM
germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !
I think that the ZR1 is a car for people like me that need to be scared in a car every so often to be kept interested. For people that sometimes include hoonery in their drive and are not bothered by things like freeway wheelspin. It has systems like Stabilitrak and PTM that can minimize the ability for it to kill you, but can be minimized if your feeling like you want to take a leap!

Its a car that can't be mastered in a short period of time like the GTR, which is almost too competent at handling its power. A 3ZR car with the leather interior is actually pretty nice on the inside, its just the seats which are designed to fit the average working class American need to be changed. I get the vibe that your a similar enthusiast to me because you owned a GT700 GT2 a car that does scare the shiz out of you from time to time!

Old 05-06-2010, 09:57 AM
NelsonF is a splendid one to beholdNelsonF is a splendid one to beholdNelsonF is a splendid one to beholdNelsonF is a splendid one to beholdNelsonF is a splendid one to beholdNelsonF is a splendid one to beholdNelsonF is a splendid one to beholdNelsonF is a splendid one to behold
Zr1

Its a car that can't be mastered in a short period of time like the GTR, which is almost too competent at handling its power. A 3ZR car with the leather interior is actually pretty nice on the inside, its just the seats which are designed to fit the average working class American need to be changed. I get the vibe that your a similar enthusiast to me because you owned a GT700 GT2 a car that does scare the shiz out of you from time to time![/quote]

So true-the car has got to have an edge or it won't last in my garage. Now, if only I can figure out a way to get one of those upcoming GT2RS's!

Old 05-06-2010, 11:18 AM
No Name will become famous soon enoughNo Name will become famous soon enough
The vettes (all of them, and basically true with the Vipers as well) have a lot of mechanical grip, but the streering feel is very rubbery compared to the direct feel of the 911's. This is by far my biggest disapointment with these cars from a performance standpoint after owning a Porsche. I know the car will stick in a corner, but I consantly find myself second guessing the car's cornering abilty due to the indirect feel and the lack of feedback/response transmitted through the wheel. I much prefer the direct feel of the road through the wheel in an early 911...

Old 05-06-2010, 03:35 PM
ACRJUD is on a distinguished road
rode in one, it was a blast. they look great in white.

Old 05-07-2010, 12:47 PM
germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !
I agree with the steering feel, my car is very neutral.....and I can't really use single input because a lot of times I turn in more aggressively to get an idea of available grip. But also with the Vette's if you push thru the initial turn in understeer there is oversteer right behind it .

The Z06's had steering improvements for 2009 and they can be felt, and supposedly the ZR1 has the best and most natural steering of the cars. Its a trade off a Porsche gives you amazing steering but also has less front end grip.

Old 05-07-2010, 01:24 PM
Zr1

Just read that Excellence article where pro-driver J.VanOverbeek drove both ZR1 and GT2 at Infineon Raceway with the ZR1 putting out faster laps-in a Porsche enthusiast magazine no less. They were impressed with the ZR1 overall-including the handling. Might be one of the reasons we are seeing a GT2RS now-for a likely $250k though. So for <$110k, the ZR1 might be a real consideration.

Old 05-07-2010, 04:12 PM
As much as I dream about the GT2 RS for anything approaching $250k there may be a few other namely Italian...ok one German choices! I am sure a Gallardo Superleggera, Ferrari 458 Italia or Mclaren MP4 would provide me with thrills for around the same coin!

Old 05-07-2010, 05:00 PM
Zr1

Originally Posted by germeezy1
As much as I dream about the GT2 RS for anything approaching $250k there may be a few other namely Italian...ok one German choices! I am sure a Gallardo Superleggera, Ferrari 458 Italia or Mclaren MP4 would provide me with thrills for around the same coin!
Was actually trying to stay under the cost of a GT3RS(sans markup). That's how the ZR1 came up. Plus, I want something I would/could drive a lot...

Old 05-07-2010, 09:16 PM
Well its time you took that next step and took it for an extended test drive. If you don't feel electricity coursing thru your veins look up at the mirror and make sure your still alive...

Old 05-07-2010, 09:29 PM
zr1

You know how that works. We all get acclimated to the power eventually. The car has got to have the right stuff beyond that to keep me holding on. Something the GT3rs has but not so sure about the ZR1. I'm on the list for the new McLaren as a backup.

Old 05-07-2010, 10:10 PM
I agree with that, my 550-600 rwhp Vette is getting slow to me...

Old 05-08-2010, 07:17 AM
Banned
amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !
Add these to the ZR1 and you are golden

Attached Images    
Old 05-08-2010, 07:19 AM
Banned
amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !
...or this

Attached Images    
Old 05-08-2010, 01:20 PM
HiProfile Robs has a reputation beyond reputeHiProfile Robs has a reputation beyond reputeHiProfile Robs has a reputation beyond reputeHiProfile Robs has a reputation beyond reputeHiProfile Robs has a reputation beyond reputeHiProfile Robs has a reputation beyond reputeHiProfile Robs has a reputation beyond reputeHiProfile Robs has a reputation beyond reputeHiProfile Robs has a reputation beyond reputeHiProfile Robs has a reputation beyond reputeHiProfile Robs has a reputation beyond repute
Where can you find those door panels?!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Zr1