American Muscle Everything from a Cadillac Escalade to a new Ford GT to a classic C1 Corvette

Zr1

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-06-2010, 06:07 PM
kukri is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by germeezy1
Yes, did I say that it would be cheap?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXovFqNVXYM
WHOA. that thing hauls ***.

Old 07-06-2010, 06:21 PM
germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by kukri
^ Agreed. I prefer the front engine RWD platform, but I guess the fastest race cars all have engine in the back

They have a level of skill higher than mine, I remember when testing the Carrera GT that Walter Rohrl himself said that he could not recover from a certain degree of inertia oversteer slide in a Carrera GT.

And with the right setup RWD has been proven on the most powerful cars on planet earth. This car run 8's with the stock IRS on pump gas and it does not brutalize the tires like some other cars do. A stalled auto will do wonders for its launch performance!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gL2su...eature=related

Old 07-06-2010, 07:03 PM
UMADBRO has a reputation beyond reputeUMADBRO has a reputation beyond reputeUMADBRO has a reputation beyond reputeUMADBRO has a reputation beyond reputeUMADBRO has a reputation beyond reputeUMADBRO has a reputation beyond reputeUMADBRO has a reputation beyond reputeUMADBRO has a reputation beyond reputeUMADBRO has a reputation beyond reputeUMADBRO has a reputation beyond reputeUMADBRO has a reputation beyond repute
^ Agreed. I prefer the front engine RWD platform, but I guess the fastest race cars all have engine in the back

Makes you think twice about Porsche ...........they got it right 60 years ago!

Old 07-06-2010, 07:55 PM
germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by UMADBRO
Makes you think twice about Porsche ...........they got it right 60 years ago!
Engine in the back, I think he was referring to mid engine

Old 07-06-2010, 08:46 PM
Yes I meant MR, I'm sry. But all the race cars F1, dragsters, they all have engine somewhere near the rear wheels and that's just how physics work

Old 07-06-2010, 08:51 PM
th3Stig is a glorious beacon of lightth3Stig is a glorious beacon of lightth3Stig is a glorious beacon of lightth3Stig is a glorious beacon of lightth3Stig is a glorious beacon of light
Weight distribution is the key factor ya'll are referring to here.

Corvettes are front-engine brawlers that have come all the way back around to kickin' *** and takin' names on the tracks... FR layout FTW

If you want somethin' different, there are plenty of exotics to choose from.

Old 07-06-2010, 08:56 PM
Originally Posted by th3Stig
Weight distribution is the key factor ya'll are referring to here.
Not exactly, MR has the advantage from physics stand point.

Old 07-06-2010, 09:23 PM
Porsche did a lot of development on their front engine , rear transaxle layout in the 928 and the 924. This layout was pioneered by De Dion in their Bouton and more widespread use was pioneered in the Stutz Bearcat. The Pontiac Tempest was arguably the first mainstream car to use this layout.

The Corvette with its rear transaxle and some chassis changes could very easily move to a rear weight bias from its 50/50 FM configuration. The 599 GTB has a similar layout and is able to have crushing corner exit speeds due to its rear weight bias.

Old 07-06-2010, 09:34 PM
Not exactly, MR has the advantage from physics stand point.
There are bad MR layouts, although they have a low polar moment of inertia which makes them better to rotate there have been setups with a high cg that were pretty nasty to the unintended. Ferrari's 365 GT4 BB and 512 BB were known for there interesting handling because of the high cg caused by packaging the gearbox under the engine!

Old 07-06-2010, 09:41 PM
Oh yeah, I agree with that there are bad ones for sure. I'm not a fan of a MR2 myself

Old 07-06-2010, 10:40 PM
A bad FD3S would eat lunch with a good MR2....

Old 07-09-2010, 08:40 PM
robmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond repute
The best sport car for the money!
R

Old 07-10-2010, 08:46 AM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
There are a couple of local guys to me that have some of those very cars...

An MR2 with an LSx in the back (middle), and FD3 with an LSx in the front. Both are quite formidable. I'm looking forward to watching some upcoming performance. Either way - I think the trend I'm seeing here is that Chevy engines aren't too bad.

Old 07-11-2010, 12:56 PM
LSXRX7 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by NelsonF
Yes, I agree. One the things that appeals to me about the car is it's day to day practicality. People say that you are either a Porsche guy or Corvette. I was once of the same opinion but am always open to the possibility of change and improvement. Now, more a performance car guy regardless of brand as my recent foray with the GTR will show(loved it). My question with regard to the ZR1 is feel and driving satisfaction. Realizing that Porsche's GT cars are more precise in terms of feel, I'm wondering if I could tolerate the lack of the same in the ZR1. I acknowledge that it's a completely different design and package and it's ultimate performance may be higher. Further, I've heard the ZR1 has a very smooth ride to compliment the DD role. However, handling feel is an important component that I'd hate to compromise. It should be fun to drive at minimum. That's why I ask about experiences.
I have GM power steering in my LS6 swapped 93 Rx7 and also didn't like the steering feel. To much assist IMO. I opted for an adjustable power steering kit from www.hinsonsupercars.com it adds a **** to the high pressure line so you can dial in the amount of assist you want. I have been running that for two years + now with no problems. I love it. You should look into it. Especially if that is the only reason you wouldn't buy.

- Mark

Old 07-11-2010, 01:27 PM
madru17 has a brilliant futuremadru17 has a brilliant futuremadru17 has a brilliant futuremadru17 has a brilliant futuremadru17 has a brilliant futuremadru17 has a brilliant futuremadru17 has a brilliant futuremadru17 has a brilliant futuremadru17 has a brilliant futuremadru17 has a brilliant futuremadru17 has a brilliant future
good choice

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Zr1