American Muscle Everything from a Cadillac Escalade to a new Ford GT to a classic C1 Corvette

Dodge Viper - How are they for maint. ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-18-2011, 10:08 AM
elanderholm is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by cyntaxx
Gents,

Would like to follow up on this thread as I'm considering one of these.

Torn between third and fourth gen mainly due to difference in price so would love insight on whether the 15-20k USD (at least) gap is worthwhile to top up to a 2008+.

To preface, I wouldn't modify heavily and would keep her naturally aspirated (and off the gas). I'd "daily drive" her in sunny California; and also do a few cross-country excursions (potentially).

- Annual maintenance?
- Known issues across the years?
- Warranty - how well does Dodge stand behind them?
- Drivability in traffic, wet conditions?

Thanks!
- very low, it's tough to give you a number, but it's tiny compared to any other kind of super car. It takes a lot of oil...that's about it.
- nothing consistent
- In my experience dodge stands behind them very well. The chrysler extended warranties are supposed to be awesome as well.
- In traffic it's fine. The clutch isn't that heavy and the car will pull from any speed in 4th. Wet - If you have an ACR on cup tires it's not a good idea. You can do it, but you need to go slow, be up a gear or two and just not use the loud pedal much. If there is standing water I would avoid driving it.

I actually picked mine up in texas and drove it back to calif with a co-pilot in 3 days. We ran into all sorts of things including a terrible thunderstorm. I actually pulled off the road for a bit. And acr on pretty worn cup tires and a torrential down pour does not mix.

We drove through a lot of construction and varied road conditions (hey calif I5 sucks donkey *****) and the car did well. It was on track height with the splitter extender on so I had to be careful, but we made it without any real issues.

We were actually getting about 22mpg in 6th just cruising across the country. It was very enjoyable when the roads were nice, especially up in the hilly/mountain regions of Arizona.

I would recommend taking it as far as you can, just try to avoid thunderstorms and tornados!! Good luck.
My car: http://www.flickr.com/photos/9104155...7626949130888/

Last edited by elanderholm; 09-18-2011 at 10:12 AM.
Old 09-22-2011, 10:04 AM
Awaiting Email Confirmation
7TH_SIGN is on a distinguished road
I purchased my first Viper this past July. 1999 ACR and so far no issues, although it only had 805 miles on it when I bought it, still need some more time with it. If it holds up as well as my Supra's did I will be very happy. Love the car thus far.