Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

My new V8 convertible sportshift

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-12-2007, 12:51 AM
Vantageman is on a distinguished road
My new V8 convertible sportshift

I just picked up my new Vantage sportshift. I had and 07 manual and sold it for the 08. After 1 day I really DONT like it at all. It feels like a person who cant drive a stick is driving - the lag between gear changes is crazy - I think im gonna sell it and get a stick - thats how much I hate it.

otherwise the car is great - the really improved the bluetooth as now its all controlled by the dash and even imports you cells address book

Old 12-13-2007, 07:12 PM
IIVVX will become famous soon enoughIIVVX will become famous soon enough
all the real drivers agree with you.

3 pedals is the way to go.

Old 12-13-2007, 07:17 PM
sal
sal has a spectacular aura aboutsal has a spectacular aura about
Nothing can compare to the feeling you have driving with a clutch... no matter how fast the gear shifts are with flappy pedals

Old 12-14-2007, 08:06 PM
Don Relentless will become famous soon enough
bobbyg has a 6speed 07 one for a smoking deal.

Old 12-17-2007, 12:50 PM
sp330 is on a distinguished road
What made you decide to go sportshift? Did you even test drive the car before getting it?

Old 12-17-2007, 01:01 PM
MeanMachine is a glorious beacon of lightMeanMachine is a glorious beacon of lightMeanMachine is a glorious beacon of lightMeanMachine is a glorious beacon of lightMeanMachine is a glorious beacon of light
Congradulations, I wouldnt switch back to the manual its probably due to it being a new car and hasnt been breakin in yet. When the car does get broken in I am sure the ecu will adapt to your driving style making the shifts faster.

Old 12-17-2007, 01:04 PM
schackman69 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Vantageman
I just picked up my new Vantage sportshift. I had and 07 manual and sold it for the 08. After 1 day I really DONT like it at all. It feels like a person who cant drive a stick is driving - the lag between gear changes is crazy - I think im gonna sell it and get a stick - thats how much I hate it.

otherwise the car is great - the really improved the bluetooth as now its all controlled by the dash and even imports you cells address book
I drove an 07' with SF and I also could not stand it. Nothing like a Ferrari or Lambo's E-gear IMO.

After driving both back to back, the 6 speed is the route I went.... For the extra 10 G's its not worth it IMO

Did you test drive one prior to getting rid of your 07 6speed? Getting behind the wheel and driving for 30 minutes was all I needed to pass.

Good luck

B

Old 12-17-2007, 06:15 PM
riverflyer has much to be proud ofriverflyer has much to be proud ofriverflyer has much to be proud ofriverflyer has much to be proud ofriverflyer has much to be proud ofriverflyer has much to be proud ofriverflyer has much to be proud ofriverflyer has much to be proud of
I guess I am swimming upstream but I test drove the sport shift and really liked it. All my cars have always been sticks up until the stradale and I have found I like a daily kind of car to offer both the ease and two hands on the wheel style of paddle shifting. The AM is not as fast as the cs of course but its not bad, offers some flexibility in speed and the low speed crawl gear is a great improvement over Ferrari for parking lots, gast stations etc.
Did you explore all the settings to be sure you had it set up for the fastest shifts?

Old 12-17-2007, 06:16 PM
krel is on a distinguished road
the sportshift is nothing like the ferrari....however, if you drive the sportshift with the paddles, it shifts a lot quicker than if in automatic mode...in auto mode the shifts are longer, but smoother. It does take some time to get used to the sportshift, but i believe the future is in F1 style transmissions.

Old 12-17-2007, 06:36 PM
riverflyer has much to be proud ofriverflyer has much to be proud ofriverflyer has much to be proud ofriverflyer has much to be proud ofriverflyer has much to be proud ofriverflyer has much to be proud ofriverflyer has much to be proud ofriverflyer has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by krel
the sportshift is nothing like the ferrari....however, if you drive the sportshift with the paddles, it shifts a lot quicker than if in automatic mode...in auto mode the shifts are longer, but smoother. It does take some time to get used to the sportshift, but i believe the future is in F1 style transmissions.
you have a pm

Old 12-18-2007, 06:01 AM
Originally Posted by riverflyer
I guess I am swimming upstream but I test drove the sport shift and really liked it. All my cars have always been sticks up until the stradale and I have found I like a daily kind of car to offer both the ease and two hands on the wheel style of paddle shifting. The AM is not as fast as the cs of course but its not bad, offers some flexibility in speed and the low speed crawl gear is a great improvement over Ferrari for parking lots, gast stations etc.
Did you explore all the settings to be sure you had it set up for the fastest shifts?
John,

For an every day use car, I would concure, that when use to it, it would be a better daily driver.

I do not use mine as a daily, and now its put up because of our great NW Indiana weather we have.

I compared it to the F1 in my Stardale and the E-gear in my Gallardo (both sold) and did not care for the Aston Version at their hand in it.

To me, the 6-speed was able to bring the low torque V8 engine alive better at my hand in rowing the gears.

But, it all boils down to preference and if used as a daily car commuting in traffic ect... the SF might be a better and surley more relaxing way to go.

B

Old 12-18-2007, 05:18 PM
Brian, I am still on the fence but my thinking is that all my other cars are manual. I liked the paddle shift in the cs because I prefer two hands on the wheel for spirited driving. 90% of my driving is two lane mountain roads, some very deserted. I also found that when pushed (above 5k and 80% throttle) the hypershift is pretty quick, I think 190ms to 150ms for the cs. But there is one 6sp I really like....

Old 12-19-2007, 06:22 AM
Originally Posted by riverflyer
Brian, I am still on the fence but my thinking is that all my other cars are manual. I liked the paddle shift in the cs because I prefer two hands on the wheel for spirited driving. 90% of my driving is two lane mountain roads, some very deserted. I also found that when pushed (above 5k and 80% throttle) the hypershift is pretty quick, I think 190ms to 150ms for the cs. But there is one 6sp I really like....
Take your time John,
The car is here....and isnt going anywhere anytime soon. We are having one hell of a strange winter here. Warm, to freezing rain to snow. Now 12'' dumped on Saturday.

I can understand about being on the fence. I absolutley loved the Egear in my 06' Gallardo. In fact, I found it better for myself than the F1 that was in my Stradale. It was less jerky and less prone to hard crawl in close quarters.

Any choice you make will be the right one for you.

Take care, B

Old 12-19-2007, 09:59 AM
Vantageman is on a distinguished road
I agree when you shift yourself with paddle shifters its MUCH better.

Old 12-19-2007, 12:56 PM
DynamicMotoring is on a distinguished road
Are you going to sell it and get a 6 speed?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: My new V8 convertible sportshift