Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Quicksilver Mufflers vs Fuse 22 Pull?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-08-2008, 03:06 PM
alevine has a spectacular aura aboutalevine has a spectacular aura about
Quicksilver Mufflers vs Fuse 22 Pull?

I recently removed fuse 22 to keep the exhaust actuators open under 4k rpm. I have to say it sounds pretty damn good! It should come like this from the factory. I really dig it. I think I read on this forum that there are 3 versions of the Quicksilver. Soft, medium and loud. Can anyone compare the sound of the loud or medium to the fuse 22 pull?

BTW, does the fuse 22 pull harm anything?

TIA,
Adam

Old 09-08-2008, 03:28 PM
paragongja is on a distinguished road
There has been some talk that leaving the fuse out may eventually freeze the actuators open.

My fuse has been out from the start and I have no intention of putting it back.
I have never gotten a warning, and my first service was just done and the dealer didn't say a word to me about it.

Old 09-08-2008, 04:34 PM
Michael 996TT will become famous soon enough
I think that I can qualify to give an opinion on this ... sorry in advance for the long answer. I tied back my stock exhaust (I recommend vs pull the fuse ... will not effect your car ... put your fuse back in, go under the car - after hours of cooling down of course - and on the top of exhaust pull the 2 small hoses, one on each top L&R side from the small round - silver color - valves and tie off w/ a zip strip) this gives you the same sound w/o possibly messing w/ the ECU and fuel mixture via fuse 22. I had mine tied off for a year - no issues. Now the fun part ... and I need to also say, I have all these experiences w/ the Sport Cats on and w/ new QS exhausts, did not w/ the stock one and tied open. I think this does make a difference as stock is about 600 cell and other is about 200. You can see thru one and not the other so bound to make a difference in sound. I have driven 2 of the 3 QS models (forget the details how not important here) I am about to try QuickSilver #3 (soft). Started w/ LOUD, Medium and soon soft ... let's see ... LOUD is absolutely race car at the track loud - had trouble talking/hearing on my cell phone - this is not a bad thing, just very LOUD, kinda like a straight exhaust, as in what muffler. Shop that installed said one of the best they have ever heard - they have done a lot of different brands of cars. Of course they said it was a big sound too. Next the medium and definitely not as loud but more deep tone than stock - I like it, this is probably the one most want as it builds w/ RPM and definitely puts the sound out as you are ripping down the road - also soft at idle - also like the loud one no resonance or cheap tinny sound - just pure deep growl. There is some muffling in the medium so it could be a daily driver if you like a louder exhaust - and yes it can make a Harley driver hear you. I'll try the soft in about a week or 2 - it has about 1/2 again the baffling as the medium so it might be a little more loud than stock, I need to hear it. A few other things - the weight of QS's vs stock is amazing, the sound is deeper and just seems to come out and bark faster vs stock - utube and hearing on your PC does not give it justice, again drop the sound a few db w/ stock cats. Would I recommend a QS vs stock - yes, even the cost. The price I paid w/ HZ at RSC was in line w/ the price I have paid on several past P-cars too. I do not have the figures but it sure feels like more HP too ... more than I experienced w/ my P-cars. I think AM left some HPs for the tuners !!!
Hope this helps ...

Old 09-08-2008, 04:42 PM
One other bit about tieing off the exhaust ... the aftermarket guys do not have the valve on their exhausts, the cars hoses are simply disconnected too (no fuse pull). Kinda follows your thoughts on maybe AM designed it this way ... I mean disconnect and it is open all the time ... hmmm

Old 09-09-2008, 04:32 PM
alevine has a spectacular aura aboutalevine has a spectacular aura about
Michael:

Thanks for the detailed and lengthy response. It is quite helpful and provides great user feedback. For the meantime, I think I will once again attempt to pull the vacuum line off the exhaust and re-insert the fuse. I tried this last week but I was unable to remove the vacuum line from the passenger side. However, I did not have the car on a lift as I was simply trying to get at it sliding myself under the car. I do have access to a lift. Is it possible to remove the passenger side vacuum line without removing the exhaust if the car is on a lift?

I anxiously await your feedback on the Quicksilver quiet exhaust. It sounds like the medium may be the best of both worlds. I was not planning on doing the sportcats so maybe the medium would be just right???? BTW, if you are happy with the quiet will you be selling your medium? If so, please PM me.

Lastly, I cannot find prices anywhere for this exhaust. Is there anywhere on the web I can research? Lastly, how much are the sportcats? Maybe I should consider it.

Thanks again,
Adam

Old 09-09-2008, 05:21 PM
Adam - I believe you can disconnect the small hose without a lift. I have the stock exhaust in my garage and just went out and took a look. There are 2 pipes coming out each side of the muffler can - as in left and right (passenger/driver) - each of the control valves comes off the same pipe per side - one on left side other on opposite right, in orientation to each side of the can - the valves are angled different to TDC - that is all. I think they did this so this big thing would fit - the QS exhaust (and others) is much smaller. This probably makes one easy to reach and the other a little harder to get your arm/hand up there ... but they are the same. This is where that scrawny boy in the neighborhood comes in handy, you know the one that has a crush on one of your daughters and hangs in your garage trying to get you to like him ... I had girls and Barbie's ... well until they were 16 then it was Dad I want the car ... that is another story. Anyway if you see one is easy, then just imagine the other is in the same place just tilted at a different angle ... I think you can get what I mean. Have meat head reach up there ... I did this years ago w/ a part I dropped in the engine bay on my 964.
Hope this helps ...

paragonja - I do not think removing the fuse will make the exhaust "stick" open after time. I first thought the way you are too, but the system is actually "back wards" - I am sure some very smart a$% designer said I'm doing it this way so my mates can just pull the hose - the h$%^ with drive-by laws ! (I am not that smart - I got this tie back thing from a very good source that asked I not post any relationship - kinda a James Bond thing) I think the fuse works too, just there were some posts on the AMOC site about fuel mixture problems - went rich on some cars - and no one knows why. Possibly a Software issue ?

Old 09-09-2008, 06:41 PM
stearnsn is an unknown quantity at this point
Old 09-09-2008, 06:59 PM
Those ramps are sweet ... I had a pair of red metal ramps years ago ... they worked great until I started lowering my cars ... angle did not work.
FYI - Sears has a great low profile floor jack I picked up on sale for under $100. It is great for DIY changing wheels/tires for the track - of course add some stands if you are crawling under the car !

Old 09-09-2008, 07:11 PM
stearnsn is an unknown quantity at this point
I have one of these, use it more than I though I would.

http://www.amazon.com/Rapid-Lift-Alu...1008953&sr=8-1

Looks like Sears has better prices.

Old 09-09-2008, 07:41 PM
I forgot to say I did not go w/ Aluminium option - mine is a combo - about 10 pounds heavier but I am not working the NASCAR pit lane just yet ! I just kinda roll it around on the wheels in one hand and a Bud in the other

Old 09-09-2008, 07:44 PM
alvine - talk w/ HZ@RSC - he hooked me up on my ECU/Cats/QuickSilver and some good advice. He also owns an AM V8V.

Old 09-09-2008, 07:46 PM
sorry ... my typing scills suck ... alevine