Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

'09 Vantage in Motor Trend this month

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-28-2009, 10:24 PM
Tahoe M3 is just really niceTahoe M3 is just really niceTahoe M3 is just really niceTahoe M3 is just really niceTahoe M3 is just really nice
'09 Vantage in Motor Trend this month

It posts some very good numbers...

0-60 4.1
1/4 mi 12.5 @ 115
Skidpad 0.97

And that was just on the first run. The said they definitely felt it could go faster, suggesting it would have hit 60 in under 4 seconds, given the chance. But...the 6-speed transmission broke on the first run. They were given an automatic to replace it, but couldn't duplicate the numbers.

It all makes me wonder why the test numbers for the previous 4.3L were so bad...they give comparison numbers of 5.3 and 13.6 @ 105.8. Hard to believe there's THAT much difference.

Best line:

"There's no denying the Vantage's rarity and beauty (lined up with the 911, it looks like a leopard next to an ostrich egg)."

Old 02-28-2009, 11:00 PM
germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !
Before the Vantage had been even referred to as the Aston S4000...ouch. But wow I have not seen a car transformed so much by an engine!

Old 03-01-2009, 10:29 AM
Tahoe M3 is just really niceTahoe M3 is just really niceTahoe M3 is just really niceTahoe M3 is just really niceTahoe M3 is just really nice
Originally Posted by germeezy1
Before the Vantage had been even referred to as the Aston S4000...ouch. But wow I have not seen a car transformed so much by an engine!
The 4.3 is not really as peaky as it has been described. When Steve Millen drove it in another review, he said that the power was all in the mid range and that it runs out of breath at the upper revs, which is the opposite of the S4000 comment. I don't think that's completely true either. The mid-range torque is good if you hit it in the right rev range. Below 2000 it's very flat, but that's probably a throttle-mapping thing. And up top it really pulls hard.

I've driven the 4.7 and it's faster, but it's not that much faster. Either that car was unusually fast or some of the 4.3's tested were unusually slow. I favor the second option, as my car definitely feels like a car that could match the original test numbers of 13.1 @ 108.

Old 03-01-2009, 10:36 AM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
i'd love to pick one of those up.

the new shopping list continues...

Old 03-01-2009, 10:43 AM
germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Tahoe M3
The 4.3 is not really as peaky as it has been described. When Steve Millen drove it in another review, he said that the power was all in the mid range and that it runs out of breath at the upper revs, which is the opposite of the S4000 comment. I don't think that's completely true either. The mid-range torque is good if you hit it in the right rev range. Below 2000 it's very flat, but that's probably a throttle-mapping thing. And up top it really pulls hard.

I've driven the 4.7 and it's faster, but it's not that much faster. Either that car was unusually fast or some of the 4.3's tested were unusually slow. I favor the second option, as my car definitely feels like a car that could match the original test numbers of 13.1 @ 108.
My issue was always why would they choose this car to go against the 911 and it make it slower by quite a bit. Now with the 4.7 if those numbers are repeatable we have a car that is definitely faster than a 911 base or S.

Old 03-01-2009, 10:46 AM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
you know? i've never compared the vantage to anything else, because the looks put it in a league of its own. as long as they are sportscar-ish performers, they are always a possibility on my list.

Old 03-01-2009, 10:49 AM
I have always held the Vanquish as one of my favorite cars, the Vantage is very nice...but hmm choices .,..choices

Old 03-01-2009, 11:26 AM
djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !
when is the 4.7 going to make into the XK and XF?

Old 03-01-2009, 11:34 AM
i don't think they will since jag has split off again...

Old 03-01-2009, 12:35 PM
zschicago has much to be proud ofzschicago has much to be proud ofzschicago has much to be proud ofzschicago has much to be proud ofzschicago has much to be proud ofzschicago has much to be proud ofzschicago has much to be proud ofzschicago has much to be proud of
the new 09 997 S PDK is actually faster. 3.9 0-60.
[media]http://videos.streetfire.net/video/GTR-vs-911-PDK-vs-R8-vs_190012.htm[/media]
But the AM V8 is one of the best looking cars on the planet..

Old 03-01-2009, 02:56 PM
jaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Tahoe M3
It posts some very good numbers...

0-60 4.1
1/4 mi 12.5 @ 115
Skidpad 0.97

And that was just on the first run. The said they definitely felt it could go faster, suggesting it would have hit 60 in under 4 seconds, given the chance. But...the 6-speed transmission broke on the first run. They were given an automatic to replace it, but couldn't duplicate the numbers.

It all makes me wonder why the test numbers for the previous 4.3L were so bad...they give comparison numbers of 5.3 and 13.6 @ 105.8. Hard to believe there's THAT much difference.

Best line:
"There's no denying the Vantage's rarity and beauty (lined up with the 911, it looks like a leopard next to an ostrich egg)."
I'm a company guy but these numbers would make the 4.7 faster than the DBS, the Vantage V12 and the spercharged V8. I have felt that my car is a bit faster that the numbers with the new exhaust but it's hard to believe that 40 more HP brings the 0-60 time down by nearly a second. I would think that it woukd be closer to 4.6 than 4.1. By the way, if the new porsche C2S with the PDK does 0-60 in 3.9 seconds doesn't that bring it close to the turbo with almost 100 more HP. These numbers just don't add up.

Last edited by jaymoney; 03-01-2009 at 03:01 PM.
Old 03-01-2009, 03:21 PM
zschicago has much to be proud ofzschicago has much to be proud ofzschicago has much to be proud ofzschicago has much to be proud ofzschicago has much to be proud ofzschicago has much to be proud ofzschicago has much to be proud ofzschicago has much to be proud of
The turbo is running 3.4-3.7 times currently. Thats with the manual & AWD. The new PDK with launch control is just that good. Thats why the 09 C2S is running those times. The best anyone has been getting with the manual is 4.3 ish. When they finally get the PDK in the turbo watchout.

Old 03-01-2009, 06:49 PM
Originally Posted by zschicago
the new 09 997 S PDK is actually faster. 3.9 0-60.
http://videos.streetfire.net/video/G...-vs_190012.htm
But the AM V8 is one of the best looking cars on the planet..
Sorry old drag racer here, what is the trap speed on that run? 997 S's have run quicker than this car but not faster.

Old 03-01-2009, 06:51 PM
Originally Posted by zschicago
The turbo is running 3.4-3.7 times currently. Thats with the manual & AWD. The new PDK with launch control is just that good. Thats why the 09 C2S is running those times. The best anyone has been getting with the manual is 4.3 ish. When they finally get the PDK in the turbo watchout.
Why 0-60 times are useless for comparing cars, also the 4.7 has a much more useable powerband than the 4.3 so its not just the peak hp differences but the powerband differences.

Old 03-01-2009, 06:52 PM
Originally Posted by djantlive
when is the 4.7 going to make into the XK and XF?
Never they are both getting a 5.0 DI engine 385 hp N/A and 510 hp S/C

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: '09 Vantage in Motor Trend this month