Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Just dropped off my car for the PP upgrade + QS exhaust

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-24-2009, 01:24 PM
rezf is on a distinguished road
Just dropped off my car for the PP upgrade + QS exhaust

I have decided to do the power upgrade + Quicksilver Supersport (the middle one of the range) on my 08 Vantage coupe. They have given me an 09 convertible as a loaner and my impressions corroborate what has been written about the 09 (boost in mid range torque) I hope that my car can closely match the torque of the 09s....should be close enough with the exhaust.
I will post a detailed impression in this thread when I get the car back
RezF

Old 03-24-2009, 01:37 PM
jaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to behold
Rez,

Try to get yourself a pair of the K&N filters while they are doing the work. I think you'll notice a difference. I have the same quicksilver which has a great note and does a bit of torque and HP. If you call K&N they can overnight them to you.

Old 03-24-2009, 02:13 PM
astondude is on a distinguished road
The quick silver super sports exhaust is too loud for me. I hope you checked it out. I prefer the sports only....does not scream as loud as a Lambo. But PP and quick silver will get you close to the 09 performance numbers depends on who you talk to. I did the PP and quick silver sports on my 08 and I've been happy. Dealer told me they may not offer the PP too much longer cause Aston prefers to sell the 09 models, which makes sense. Keep us posted. Check link below on quick silver exhaust which I found online. BTW it is not my car.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIdvJGZqrQc&eurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Equicks ilverexhausts%2Ecom%2Fproductbulletin%2Easp%3FNews ID%3D191&feature=player_embedded[/media]

Old 03-24-2009, 02:29 PM
[QUOTE=astondude;2315675]The quick silver super sports exhaust is too loud for me. I hope you checked it out. I prefer the sports only....does not scream as loud as a Lambo. But PP and quick silver will get you close to the 09 performance numbers depends on who you talk to. I did the PP and quick silver sports on my 08 and I've been happy. Dealer told me they may not offer the PP too much longer cause Aston prefers to sell the 09 models, which makes sense. Keep us posted. Check link below on quick silver exhaust which I found online. BTW it is not my car.
/QUOTE]

I thought it was too loud as well, until I test drove one and liked it alot. I definitely think the Supersport plus is way too loud for me, did not hear the Sport but was told most people buying the sport often returned to have the supersport installed as they don't feel there is enough diff in the sound levels between stock and the sport. My main desire is to have an exhaust that sounds nice and aggressive when blipping the throttle. my main gripe with the stock system is that it is way too silent between 1000-4000 rpms

To the other poster, thanks for the advice on the KN filter...will look into it

Old 03-24-2009, 02:45 PM
I guess the noise level is all a personal preference but the quick silver exhaust is good stuff regardless of which 3 options you pick. They have been making it for years for Aston. I think you will like the performance. I need to check out the K&N filter but I am always afraid the oil in the filter can mess up the mass airflow sensor if you overspray.

Old 03-24-2009, 08:33 PM
jaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to behold
You won't have a problem out of the box with the K&N's. They come oiled perfectly from the manufacturer. It's the oiling process at the end of the first year that usually becomes the issue. I'm told the best way to do it is to follow the directions in the cleaning and oiling kit and let them dry upsidedown overnight before you put them back in. By the way, I have the middle version of the QS exhaust and my car is a roadster. It sounds fantastic and I do notice better juice from it and the K&N's.

Old 03-24-2009, 10:54 PM
BostonRocket will become famous soon enough
Reza,

Glad to see you still have the mod bug despite changing to an Aston.

'Rocket

Old 03-25-2009, 11:01 AM
Kamran is just really niceKamran is just really niceKamran is just really niceKamran is just really nice
subscribing to this thread to get timely updates

Old 03-26-2009, 07:44 AM
Michael 996TT will become famous soon enough
FYI - the K&N part number is CM-4508 and you will need Qty 2 (if you call K&N they will be no help - their catalog is not up to date internally, so just order the part number, not the car/type path). No issues for me either on the "oil" - and I have also used them on various other P-cars and no issues there either (I cleaned myself). Jaymoney has a great idea for the cleaning/drying process.
Another choice for exhaust, I have the RSC, a slightly quieter version on my car w/ 200 cell cats. The RSC exhaust has a little more baffle to bring down the noise w/ the more open cats. HZ at RSC can give you the specific details if you are interested (I think it was 3.5" of baffle).

Old 03-26-2009, 01:42 PM
Initial impressions:

1) The quicksilver super sport ( the middle one of the three) is defintiely too loud for my taste. Maybe in a week my ear would get used to it but it was quite a shock to turn the ignition on for the first time and get a loud rumble. If I don't get used to it, I will drop down to the QS Sport exhaust. My main gripe with the stock unit was the exhaust had a muted sound to it in the 1000-4000 rpm range, and dekorking was out of the question for me. This car is too loud now . It can set off alarms in a garage. For those who like a VERY aggressive sound, this may be worth checking out. Reminds me of my Dinan exhaust on my E39 M5. That was 8 years ago and I was younger and didn't mind the sound. I just don't think this sound suits the Aston, as much as it would suit Lambo or even F-car. Interesting there is ABSOLUTELY NO resonance in the cabin...very well finished

2) The car has a VERY noticeable bite to it when flooring it beyond 5000 rpm. Is all this worth $7700 US installed? I think so.

For those contemplating doing it, remember it is not a miracle (it won't transform your car into a super car) , but it does some things (maybe subtle changes) If you know your car pretty well, you can appreciate the improved performance

RezF

Old 03-26-2009, 01:43 PM
Originally Posted by BostonRocket
Reza,

Glad to see you still have the mod bug despite changing to an Aston.

'Rocket
Rocket,
Its been a hell of a long time! How are you bud? Still got the 06??
How's my old condo???

Old 03-26-2009, 01:57 PM
Tahoe M3 is just really niceTahoe M3 is just really niceTahoe M3 is just really niceTahoe M3 is just really niceTahoe M3 is just really nice
I'm glad to hear that there is a noticeable change in power...seems to be a fair amount of variety in opinions, so it's nice when someone sees a big difference. Any difference in low and mid-range power? How much did it cost for the power pack and installation?

Last edited by Tahoe M3; 03-26-2009 at 02:02 PM.
Old 03-26-2009, 02:02 PM
Michael 996TT will become famous soon enough
rezf - I had the same "emotion", including age/hearing ! Tried the QC "loud" w/ 200 cell cats ... set off alarms a couple of streets over ...

My loud experience was a previous P-car 964 w/ straight pipe from cat back - what a sound ... good thing I save d the old stuff ... next owner immediatly switched it back.

Old 03-26-2009, 02:59 PM
Yeah, I said previously that the QC Super Sports is too loud for me..more like a Lambo style, which is ok with many people. I like the Sports version better. You can still change to Sports version before it's too late.

Old 03-26-2009, 03:08 PM
Originally Posted by astondude
Yeah, I said previously that the QC Super Sports is too loud for me..more like a Lambo style, which is ok with many people. I like the Sports version better. You can still change to Sports version before it's too late.
Yes,
Astondude, you were spot on...It just sounded more civilized when I drove the demo car. I said to myself maybe it would settle on break-in, but the opposite usually happens. An exhaust, when new, will settle into a louder sound.

TahoeM3 the PP upgrade provided a "subtle" increase in response on mid-high RPM range. I wouldn't call it a "big difference" The cost, together with the QS exhaust was $7700 (tax included). The PP upgrade was quoted at $4500

Michael996TT: I can never do the QS Loud one (Supersport plus). If I can't like the exhaust after a couple of more days, I will switch down to the Sport

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Just dropped off my car for the PP upgrade + QS exhaust