Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Cup Holders for 6-speed Vantage

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-08-2009, 09:59 AM
astondude is on a distinguished road
Cup Holders for 6-speed Vantage

Does anyone know where I can find a 3rd party cup holder for a vantage? If you have a 6-speed manual transmission, you can't shift gears very well (elbow gets in the way for anyone) with drinks in the current cupholder in center console. This must be the most stupid design I have seen. If you have an automatic tranny, then there's no problem.

Old 04-08-2009, 12:35 PM
Tahoe M3 is just really niceTahoe M3 is just really niceTahoe M3 is just really niceTahoe M3 is just really niceTahoe M3 is just really nice
I agree. Not only that, but if you have no drink, there's no place to rest your elbow because of the open hole and metal bar. Hopefully they'll fix it soon. Luckily mine is an 07 which is better than the "revised" 08+ version.

Old 04-08-2009, 12:52 PM
GameTheory is on a distinguished road
Yes, I've found what's even more annoying is having something plugged into the outlet directly in front of the armrest...constantly something hitting your wrist.

Old 04-08-2009, 01:15 PM
astondude is on a distinguished road
Smile

I feel better now that I know I am not the only one having issues. You just gotta love that British design..what were they thinking. Car rides great though...so I guess that's all that matters..like they say don't drink and drive.

Old 04-08-2009, 01:32 PM
Superfly has a brilliant futureSuperfly has a brilliant futureSuperfly has a brilliant futureSuperfly has a brilliant futureSuperfly has a brilliant futureSuperfly has a brilliant futureSuperfly has a brilliant futureSuperfly has a brilliant futureSuperfly has a brilliant futureSuperfly has a brilliant futureSuperfly has a brilliant future
Cupholder sits in the passenger seat. Two hands, she can hold two cups for you!!

Sorry, I couldn't resist. It's a running gag with my friends and I when we drive our GT's.

Last edited by Superfly; 04-08-2009 at 01:34 PM.
Old 04-08-2009, 05:38 PM
gekko will become famous soon enoughgekko will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by astondude
I feel better now that I know I am not the only one having issues. You just gotta love that British design..what were they thinking. Car rides great though...so I guess that's all that matters..like they say don't drink and drive.
I use my cupholder to hold my keys, not much more.

Old 04-10-2009, 01:32 PM
Michael 996TT will become famous soon enough
Only we Americans think of cup holders ... cracks me up ... also hard wired the radar detector ... even in my 07 manual it all was getting in the way ...

I miss the days of drinking, steering, shifting, coping a feel of your GFs ***** ... all at the same time ... that's the definition of a F1 driver

Old 05-12-2012, 03:06 PM
spainconection is on a distinguished road
back, someone can provide further details on pre 08 vantage, it is interesting upgrade to the new cupholder,.
The manual shifter is not uncomfortable with the new cupholder??
thanks in advance

Old 05-12-2012, 07:32 PM
gekko will become famous soon enoughgekko will become famous soon enough
Hopefully this will help clear up the difference between the two styles of armrests.

Original armrest
- Spot for two cups, but positioned much further back than the current one.

__________________________________________________ ____________________________

Armrest used from 2008 onwards
(Storage, auxiliary audio connections & new location for the twin cup holder)

Old 05-12-2012, 08:15 PM
Aston.Ca is just really niceAston.Ca is just really niceAston.Ca is just really niceAston.Ca is just really niceAston.Ca is just really nice
I find the passenger cup holder doesn't get in my way when shifting. And it makes a dandy 'dock' for my smartphone. Props it up nicely so I can see activity at a glance. Were those old cup holders any use for _retrieving_ a drink? Look too far back to me, you'd have to be a contortionist to reach back for your coffee and keep it level.

My pet peeve in the ergonomic dept is the shape of the seat. I can't get comfortable no matter how I arrange the angles. The lateral (left side on a L hand drive) inward flare pushes against my thigh and becomes uncomfortable after about 15-30 min in the car. That's the support you can see just above the cup holder in the last pic Gekko posted above. Anyone else?

Old 05-13-2012, 04:23 AM
mikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to all
Aston put a small block in the drivers side to make it more comfortable on later cars, you lose a cup holder though
I never use the cup holder as it does not work with my driving style

Old 05-13-2012, 08:18 AM
jmargolese will become famous soon enoughjmargolese will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by mikey k
Aston put a small block in the drivers side to make it more comfortable on later cars, you lose a cup holder though
I never use the cup holder as it does not work with my driving style
I have the 08 SS and the position of the left cup holder was awful for my long ransom, my elbow was on it constantly. The block mentioned above fixes it perfectly. I never drink stuff in the car so I don't care about losing the holder, they are too shallow to hold anything anyway. You can get them for free if you go by your local Aston dealer, they will even match your interior leather color.

Old 05-13-2012, 08:35 AM
MichaelD will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Michael 996TT
Only we Americans think of cup holders ... cracks me up ...
I think that's true, I can imagine the discussion that took place between the US sales team and the UK designers:

Sales: We need cupholders for the US

Design: What's a cupholder?

Sales: Its something they can put drinks cups into

Design: They can put them in the boot

Sales: No, its so that they can drink whilst driving

Design: That doesn't sound very safe, why would they want to do that?

Sales: Don't know, but they must be very thirsty people, some cars have several of them

Design: OK, we'll squeeze something in, but I'm not going to mess up the looks with a daft cupholder, I'll put it out of the way

Sales: Err ...

Its true, European cars only started to put cupholders into cars so that they can sell them in the US. Its a real afterthought.

My Audi A8 squeezed a couple into the centre console right behind a very expensive set of electronics. Brake hard and you get coffee into the electronics, and its a $1000 to fix it. Audi must think its a really great design feature